Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike comparo

Bike
    KTM 950ADV,DR750,APRILIA TUONO ,YZ290F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Logmaker View Post
    Kawasaki NZ have lowered price of 2014/15 KLR650 to $8995 + ORC same as DR650 Cheers.
    Make sure its the New Edition, seat need to look the same as in the above picture and then run to the bank and back to the bike shop as quick as you can as its a steal

You wont look back

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Logmaker View Post
    Kawasaki NZ have lowered price of 2014/15 KLR650 to $8995 + ORC same as DR650 Cheers.
    Most of the $9k ones on Trademe are listed as 2013. I expect they're the run-out old models.

Quote Originally Posted by Waipukbiker View Post
    Yeah, that's not the new edition model, The dealers must be trying to get rid of those stocks. Big suspension and seat upgrade between that one and the new edition models. The shape of the seat gives them away. Still a bloody good buy though new.
    Still pretty awesome value either way. Really makes the guys paying $12k+ for a 2-4 cylinder LAMS road bike that's been strangled down to KLR/DR performance anyway look a bit silly.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    Most of the $9k ones on Trademe are listed as 2013. I expect they're the run-out old models.

Still pretty awesome value either way. Really makes the guys paying $12k+ for a 2-4 cylinder LAMS road bike that's been strangled down to KLR/DR performance anyway look a bit silly.
    And the KLR is an even better deal once you actually ride one, IMHO their little rippers
     photo 020_zps6b306d50.jpg

Bike
    XRV750, DL650, KL250, XR200R
    Standard list price for the KLR650 is now $9,000. That incudes the New Edition model. Got that from a Kwaka dealer today. That's bloody cheap for a 650 ADV Tourer. That's got to hurt some DR650 sales I reckon. Be interesting to have a ride on one to compare it with the DR. Did about 159 kms of seal and shingle on a G650gs Dakar last weekend, rather underwhelmed with it, Nice engine and brakes, Did it feel $4,000 better than a DR? Hell No. The Dr is much more flickable in the twisties and on shingle. And the price of aftermarket stuff for the Beemers? Freakin hell. (Procycle don't do Beemer anyway so whats the point of buying one). Now I wonder what I can get for my DR?
    COP, "Ive been waiting to catch you all day"
    BIKER "Sorry officer, I got here as fast as I could"

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Standard list price for the KLR650 is now $9,000. That incudes the New Edition model. Got that from a Kwaka dealer today. That's bloody cheap for a 650 ADV Tourer. That's got to hurt some DR650 sales I reckon. Be interesting to have a ride on one to compare it with the DR. Did about 159 kms of seal and shingle on a G650gs Dakar last weekend, rather underwhelmed with it, Nice engine and brakes, Did it feel $4,000 better than a DR? Hell No. The Dr is much more flickable in the twisties and on shingle. And the price of aftermarket stuff for the Beemers? Freakin hell. (Procycle don't do Beemer anyway so whats the point of buying one). Now I wonder what I can get for my DR?
    Block your ears BMW guys, Not a good proposition in regard to reliability for those newish singles

Remember if you ride a KLR you got to give it time as its a different bike to a DR, having a Fairing might seem strange for awhile but its worth it for the longer distance stuff.
    Haven't ridden a DR650 for a while but to me the KLR steered a touch to quick on the road till i got used to it but is probably slower steering than a DR

What we are used to can take a while to shake off even if something else is better in other ways

IF you wanted to make the DR like the KLR it would cost thousands (if you include the fairing) but why would you when Kawasaki already makes the Bike and you don't need to spend a dime

Bike
    My first 650 single was an F650 Funduro, It had done 92,000 kms, What a gem of an engine that Rotax was, That was a very nice bike to ride and would still be a worth a look as a second hand bike for someone doing mostley seal with some shingle riding. Never had an issue with it and they had a good rep for reliability but was too heavy for me at that time to get into some serious stuff. They were made by Aprilia for BMW. Can still get them pretty cheap. But time has moved on and I look at practical value as in "Bang for Buck" and unless you want Fuel injection and ABS then its now a narrow field for new bikes between the DR and KLR. There are rumors around that new emission laws will kill non fuel injected bikes in the states so will be interesting to see what happens with probably the 2 most popular bikes on the Planet.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    My first 650 single was an F650 Funduro, It had done 92,000 kms, What a gem of an engine that Rotax was, That was a very nice bike to ride and would still be a worth a look as a second hand bike for someone doing mostley seal with some shingle riding. Never had an issue with it and they had a good rep for reliability but was too heavy for me at that time to get into some serious stuff. They were made by Aprilia for BMW. Can still get them pretty cheap. But time has moved on and I look at practical value as in "Bang for Buck" and unless you want Fuel injection and ABS then its now a narrow field for new bikes between the DR and KLR. There are rumors around that new emission laws will kill non fuel injected bikes in the states so will be interesting to see what happens with probably the 2 most popular bikes on the Planet.
    Yer the old BMW single was awesome, the new Chinese (or something) perhaps not so much

Wont be end of the world if DR's and KLR's get injection (but of course they will cost a bit more) besides there will be a lot of good second hand non injected ones floating around for quite a while

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    Quote Originally Posted by 10bikekid View Post
    And the KLR is an even better deal once you actually ride one, IMHO their little rippers
    Are you on the Kawasaki payrole? Serious question. You seem to be doing a hell of a sales pitch.

Personally, I've never been that happy with the DR. My riding tends to be slightly biased towards offroad, so it's the best compromise for me considering I can't justify the cost of going orange. The KLR is just too big and ugly.
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

Bike
    CB1300
    Another serious consideration is the rider. I would need I spend $x,000 on suspension upgrades before I could go for a ride on the KLR. On road or off.

I tried to take one for a test ride when I was buying my last bike. I wanted an adventure bike could not afford an unbent DL1000, and the DR650 and LC4 seats were two small to entertain thoughts of a pillion.
    Just sitting on the KLR, not even roughly, bottomed the forks. Standing on thee pags while on the side stand and leaning back bottomed the rear.
    My DR350 works quite well on and off road. I have not taken a DR650 that was not 10 years or older for a ride, bit doubt the suspension is not in better shape on a newer one. I forget the number but the sales guy looked up the max laden weight for the KLR.
    RIder pillion and load should weigh less than me. From memory 130kg max load.
    DR650se from memory was 165 to 100kmph. Less for more.
    The

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    CB1300
    IIRC there was also a 90 kg off road reccomendation for the KLR and a 130 on the DR.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Are you on the Kawasaki payrole? Serious question. You seem to be doing a hell of a sales pitch.

Personally, I've never been that happy with the DR. My riding tends to be slightly biased towards offroad, so it's the best compromise for me considering I can't justify the cost of going orange. The KLR is just too big and ugly.
    Bart, if you look up at my bike list I have some other bikes which might be relavant to compare so I have no reason to be biased as can choose whatever one I want to ride, each one would have its place but the for me the KLR is the best alrounder do it all bike in my shed, If I want to do some crazy offroading I ride the YZ since that is what it is designed for, but the KLR could ride down the beach and through the fire breaks or just as easily Ride from Auckland to Christchurch which ever way you wanted to go and in relative comfort

And not everybody thinks they are Ugly, personally I don't like the look of the KTM690 but don't usuely do the troll thing and tell the owner on a reply to their post.
     photo 048_zpscea182db.jpg

I also have an RMX you probable would enjoy as it will cruise at 125kmh and climb anything and go anywhere the YZ would plus its registered, I just like comfort to much to do more than 100ks at a time on it and beside ADV riding is about the challenge and if you make it to easy whats the fun in that (truth is its a mad thing and can only stand so much of that )

BTW nothing wrong with the DR650 either for its intended purpose (personally would want a new seat and tank and fairing of some sort though)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Another serious consideration is the rider. I would need I spend $x,000 on suspension upgrades before I could go for a ride on the KLR. On road or off.

I tried to take one for a test ride when I was buying my last bike. I wanted an adventure bike could not afford an unbent DL1000, and the DR650 and LC4 seats were two small to entertain thoughts of a pillion.
    Just sitting on the KLR, not even roughly, bottomed the forks. Standing on thee pags while on the side stand and leaning back bottomed the rear.
    My DR350 works quite well on and off road. I have not taken a DR650 that was not 10 years or older for a ride, bit doubt the suspension is not in better shape on a newer one. I forget the number but the sales guy looked up the max laden weight for the KLR.
    RIder pillion and load should weigh less than me. From memory 130kg max load.
    DR650se from memory was 165 to 100kmph. Less for more.
    The

Perhaps you outa go back to the dealer and try the New Edition KLR as it has suspension upgrades which make it feel very KTMish, 40% stiffer in the front and 60% stiffer in the rear and you really can feel the difference (I had to actually soften the rear from stock for my 85kgs as it was a bit tight on the road for me)

No need to spend a dime on Suspension (unless you want to do motorcross maybe )

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/20...0-new-edition/

PS: DR350 was one of those iconic bikes and probable very deserving of its good rep for the purpose it was intended (Short range adventures)

Bike
    Sat on the new edition KLR today, Suspension is a bloody side stiffer than my DR. Kawasaki have really beefed them up. Lot harder to push the front down with the front brake on.
    Still prefer to be able to see the end of the front fender but that's just getting used to it I spose. Had to laugh at the hero pins under the foot pegs. You would need to be on serious lean to ground them out.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Sat on the new edition KLR today, Suspension is a bloody side stiffer than my DR. Kawasaki have really beefed them up. Lot harder to push the front down with the front brake on.
    Still prefer to be able to see the end of the front fender but that's just getting used to it I spose. Had to laugh at the hero pins under the foot pegs. You would need to be on serious lean to ground them out.
    Yes a pretty serious lean but the bike handles very well, the standard K750 tires are surprisingly good on the road and you can get the hero blobs to touch quite easily.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Yes a pretty serious lean but the bike handles very well, the standard K750 tires are surprisingly good on the road and you can get the hero blobs to touch quite easily.
    Ooh you moving in, you wont notice the front wheel thing,

I took my hero pins off as they have made me sit up a couple on times on tight corners, those K750 aint to bad and are ok in sand if you run lower pressures you can even temp some mud, (Much to the suprise of some KTM530 - 690 riders ) would like to keep them as they are so good on the road but will probable go 1 up on aggressiveness for next winter (toss up between Shinko 244's and Michelin T63 or something)
     photo 1819_zpsc2e33841.jpg

Thread Information