Thread: McDonald Motor Trimmers Tauranga

Bike
    R1200GSA

McDonald Motor Trimmers Tauranga

I bought a sport touring bike a wee while back. In fact, it was just a couple of weeks before a trip I had been planning for some time. Part of my planned route was going to be Tauranga.
    Hitcher (he whose punctuation must be observed) had previously owned and written excellent reviews and updates for the same model bike. I began to bombard him with queries about the best way to get the best from the bike. A strong theme emerged, go to MacDonalds in Tuaranga.
    After determining that a BigMac is the same everywhere and this was a different MacDonalds I got in touch by email. There were prompt replies to all of my queries and suggestions and it was clear they were interested in meeting my needs (with respect to a motorcycle saddle at least)

My route was a little under 3000kms over 6 days riding, half of which I would complete before reaching Tauranga. In other words, I had plenty of time to work out if the stock saddle would do. It wouldn't.

I pulled up to a modest premises off Tauranga's Cameron Road at the appointed time. As I climbed off the bike Mac was already walking towards me, talking, and explaining what it was my saddle needed doing. After a brief conversation about my journey up I was despatched to let Mac do his thing.

On a side note, Bay Riders is literally around the corner. Great shop to browse in with loads of cool bikes and gear. Even when I explained I was killing time while I waited on Mac they were still happy for me to test ride bikes or try on gear. As it happened I asked about an item I was after, they didnt have it but got it in on order by 8.30 the following morning. Happy days!

Over the course of the morning and several coffees I was able to try out the new saddle and then pick my choice of vinyl upholstery. They dont recommend leather, saying its not the best for our climate.

By midday we were all done. The bill was less than an off the shelf after market seat AND was customised to me. Mac's parting words were "if you like it tell others, if you don't, tell me"

Allowing for the fact my ass had been half eaten by the previous few days riding the next 1500kms were a dream. Seat time before needing a break doubled. The new vinyl was grippier, it stopped sliding without completely stopping me from moving on the saddle.

I have had a couple more weeks of my normal riding since then. Commute from Kapiti to Wellington and weekend blatts. Am really pleased and impressed with the job Mac has done. Would recommend him and his work. If you are seriously looking at an aftermarket seat, you should drop Mac a line. Prices are NOT cheap but are very competitive when you remember this is a custom job. Compared to what we spend on other parts of the bike, its not mega bucks.

So thank you to Hitcher for this (and many other) recommendation and thank you Mac for a top job.

http://www.trimit.co.nz/
    Last edited by Ulsterkiwi; 15th October 2014 at 09:08. Reason: Grammar
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    GSX1300R
    I had my seat on the Busa worked over by him about a month ago. I had them change the foam out. Much better and a good compromise price wise between stock and full custom.

I can say they really are good people to deal with. Very happy and would use them again despite the drive (twice by car) from Hamilton.

Bike
    he's back !!!
    I have had a rider seat for near on 6yrs now & still going strong, I would suggest that mine has amassed @ 110,000km in that time so you have plenty of milage ahead of you in your saddle. I'm currently refreshing my scooter ( 99' Honda Blackbird ) & will be going back to them no doubt to have it recovered
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    None any more
    Mac's craftsmanship is worth the ride (and bleeding piles) from Wellington.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    ES XTZ
    I was wanting a modded rear seat with a backrest for the missus sadly no can do...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    What kind of money is one of his seat jobs?

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Depends on the bike. My GSX seat is in two parts. I got both recovered but only the rider seat set up for me, pillion was left with the stock padding. $400 plus.

Sargent seats start at $420US plus shipping. Thats not customised either.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    New Zealand Dollars? You never know though, Mac might take Monopoly money if you ask nicely.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    I had two seats done here.
    I would describe the jobs as good rather than great. One developed some wrinkles in the vinyl after a few months. Perhaps I should have brought it back.
    Still, I guess I'd go back again.
    Can't see what the raving is all about, but then I haven't had seats done elsewhere. What are the alternatives?

Bike
    R1200GSA
    I talked to trimmers in Kapiti and Wellington before deciding on this. They both quoted much lower prices but basically were proposing to re-cover my seat and "have a look" at the foam/guts of the seat when doing this. I did not get a sense they were in any way confident of improving the seat in terms of comfort or support.
    Another alternative I looked at was a custom made sheepskin. ABout $250-$300 was suggested and the same length of time to do the job as MacDonalds. Biggest issue there was it wouldnt do so well in the rain. I commute so not riding in the rain is not an option.

I also looked at add ons like an airhawk and off the shelf after market seats. Price wise MacDonalds is very competitive.

For sure I cannot comment on the long term performance of the job I have had done but it was made clear to me that I should go back to Mac if there were ever any issues.

Probably the biggest factor in my thinking is this guy rides motorcycles himself. He knows what is needed.

Bike
    GL1800
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I had two seats done here.
    I would describe the jobs as good rather than great. One developed some wrinkles in the vinyl after a few months. Perhaps I should have brought it back.
    Still, I guess I'd go back again.
    Can't see what the raving is all about, but then I haven't had seats done elsewhere. What are the alternatives?
    Hey Frodo

I've known Mac for years - talk to him and he listens, yep, it would be worth taking it back. When he did my second bike, he said, if you're not happy after some riding, bring it back and we'll mod it to suit

Great Guy, rides with a passion, you won't be disappointed

Cheers

Shafty
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Hi Shafty, I sold both bikes.
    I'm not dissing Macdonalds and I said I'd consider going back again. If I was unhappy I would asked them to be fixed.
    Its just that there was an earlier thread about Macdonalds and most people raved. As did the OP here.
    In my view the quality was fine, and met my needs. But I've seen custom made seats (possibly imported) that made me stop and say "Wow!".
    I just wouldn't put the quality of these seats in that category.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Hi Shafty, I sold both bikes.
    I'm not dissing Macdonalds and I said I'd consider going back again. If I was unhappy I would asked them to be fixed.
    Its just that there was an earlier thread about Macdonalds and most people raved. As did the OP here.
    In my view the quality was fine, and met my needs. But I've seen custom made seats (possibly imported) that made me stop and say "Wow!".
    I just wouldn't put the quality of these seats in that category.
    appreciate your reply is to someone else. However I am not sure I 'raved' in the report above. Certainly I am happy with the service, price and quality of the job and more importantly I have a comfortable seat. I dont think I said MacDonalds are better than anyone else or that there is something other-worldly about the job Mac has done. I am sure someone out there can produce something better. My post reflects that we have a worthwhile option here in NZ without having to go offshore. Perhaps I will take a more academic approach next time in my writing style.

Thread Information