Thread: Chain link wear (outer links)

Bike
    KTM 250exc

Chain link wear (outer links)

I have noticed quite a bit of wear on the outer plates and joining link on my 250exc chain. This is my first decent dirt bike and first time dealing with chain guides.

Is this wear normal? This chain has done a little over 30 hours riding in a lot of muddy conditions. The rollers and links etc are still good. The chain guide blocks appear to be ok as well.

The chain it had when I bought it also had the same wear. Mostly the joining link clip I'm concerned about. Google or search here hasn't helped so far.

Cheers

Bike
    2000 Honda CB600f Hornet
    Fairly common on dirt stuff to see this type of wear although that joining link does look a little excessive. Firstly check that your wheel alignment is set right. Quite often it get out of align through chian adjustments and repeted rear wheel removal/refit. Causing the chain not to run true to the sprockets, but normally the symptom is accelerated sprocket wear.

Secondly check the rubber chain guide that goes around the swing arm up near the front sprocket and the chain guide block to the lower rear of the swing arm. if either of the rubbers are worn the chain may be rubbing excessivley and causing the wear, especially in muddy conditions where the dirt turns into grinding paste in theese areas. Also a slack chain running through this lower chain block will accelerate wear like you are seeing.

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    Cool as, cheers for that, I'll also check the rear guide in case I've pranged it.

I'll chuck a new clip on the joining link anyway

Bike
    2007 ktm 300exc
    Check ur front sprocket as heavy mud build up will cause these to wear quickly , the plastic sprocket cover traps mud in and when it dries from the engine heat the mud acts like a wet stone .
    Most just remove the outer part of the cover[were the slots are] allowing the excess mud to be squeezed out by the chain.

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    Yea I have to take it off and clean in there after every ride, but doesn't help if it dries before the end of the ride

Thread Information