Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New to sportsbike - Correct seating position?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I bet if poster one was to try a bike with an upright seating/bars position their sore wrist problem would be gone.
    The limp wristed will always have sore wrists ... whatever style of bikes they choose to ride ...

To them ... take cement pills ... and harden the fuck up ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Read my edited comment that I have ridden one so have experienced the same sore wrist problem when trying to get some peripheral vision like poster 1.
    The way you wank on you're wrists should be like steel....still, accounts for the blindness

Bike
    YZF-R6
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post

Not sure I'm doing it right, wrist pain continues

Must be an improvement, now only 1 wrist hurts

I am not saying any motorcycle just sports bikes limit peripheral vision if you don't want to get sore wrists. I bet if poster one was to try a bike with an upright seating/bars position their sore wrist problem would be gone. I have test ridden one by the way to have the opinion I have.
    As on any bike it is your helmet that restricts peripheral vision otherwise no part of the bike is in the way so I cant see how it makes a difference to vision.

It is more difficult to turn your head past a certain point but it is by no means hard and by the time you sit right up on a sports bike its no harder at all than any other bike I've ridden.

You may have hidden a sports bike once or twice but you have obviously never had the chance to get used to riding one.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Peripheral vision on a sportsbike is redundant. Ride fast enough that nothing can come at you from behind. All you need to worry about is what's in front and slightly to each side of you.

Bike
    TF125
    Here we go again.

I find that stuffing a 175gm bag of Iams Kibble Pieces under each armpit improves my peripheral vision no end, especially when riding really fast but safe.

Bike
    2018 Triump Street Triple 765 rs
    In order for me to have good peripheral vision I get sore wrists as I have to adjust my riding position but to eliminate the sore wrist problem I have to adjust my riding position again which results in a loss of peripheral vision. I look forward to seeing any response from poster 1 to see if they find a loss of peripheral vision when adjusting their riding position to eliminate their sore wrist problem. There must be a lot of motorcyclists out there who find a sports bike riding position uncomfortable otherwise all motorcycles would be made with a sports bike riding position would they not?
    They are just awesome to ride with no pain in wrists and a ton of peripheral vision....AS LONG AS YOU LEARN TO RIDE THEM PROPERLY YA DICK!
    That part may be a little out of your reach by the sounds of it.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Trumpydom!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    In order for me to have good peripheral vision I get sore wrists as I have to adjust my riding position but to eliminate the sore wrist problem I have to adjust my riding position again which results in a loss of peripheral vision. I look forward to seeing any response from poster 1 to see if they find a loss of peripheral vision when adjusting their riding position to eliminate their sore wrist problem. There must be a lot of motorcyclists out there who find a sports bike riding position uncomfortable otherwise all motorcycles would be made with a sports bike riding position would they not?
    Have you actually ever ridden a motorcycle?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    In order for me to have good peripheral vision I get sore wrists as I have to adjust my riding position but to eliminate the sore wrist problem I have to adjust my riding position again which results in a loss of peripheral vision.
    You have NO idea WHAT peripheral vision IS ... do you ... ???

It is the ability to see objects and movement outside of the direct line of vision (ie: to your immediate left and right). Regardless of what position your head is in ... the amount of peripheral vision you have ... will NOT change.

Peripheral vision is lost when you get tunnel vision. That is when you concentrate on a focal point ahead of you. The faster you go ... the greater risk of tunnel vision. Thus then ... the loss of peripheral vision has NOTHING whatsoever to do with your riding position.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Have you actually ever ridden a motorcycle?
    Does 'over a dog' count?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    Peripheral vision on a sportsbike is redundant. Ride fast enough that nothing can come at you from behind. All you need to worry about is what's in front and slightly to each side of you.
    Totally agree .. and as such ... I have removed my mirrors as they became redundant ....

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Totally agree .. and as such ... I have removed my mirrors as they became redundant ....

Exactly! You understand me! I've unplugged my tail light as well. Pointless, no one can catch up to me so no one would rear end me.

I've clocked motorcycling.

Bike
    -Bikeless-
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    You have NO idea WHAT peripheral vision IS ... do you ... ???

It is the ability to see objects and movement outside of the direct line of vision (ie: to your immediate left and right). Regardless of what position your head is in ... the amount of peripheral vision you have ... will NOT change.

Peripheral vision is lost when you get tunnel vision. That is when you concentrate on a focal point ahead of you. The faster you go ... the greater risk of tunnel vision. Thus then ... the loss of peripheral vision has NOTHING whatsoever to do with your riding position.
    Actually I think I do feel I fixate myself to oncoming cars and corners a lot more with this bike (CBR600RR) compared to the CBR250R I had. I dunno if that is an effect the more forward leaning seating position has, bike has more power/loss of focus, fatigue, or maybe I am simply just not experienced enough on the bike. one thing for sure though: Target fixation is a bitch.

yes wind does help a lot to feel more comfortable, the bike is naturally more comfortable to be ridden on the highway/high speeds.

I have last ridden for 3 hours straight on the bike and yeah I do feel pretty fatigued, kinda got me off guard.

So far wrist pain is mostly gone, its still there but take it off the throttle for 20 seconds/one stoplight and its all good again! I have however learned to grip on the tank better than last time. Leather pants works wonders until I get my stompgrips (God damn it eBay).

However now I get hip pain if its not for wrist or back pain wtf. But at least I can ride for roughly 60% of the tank straight.

Btw I only have test ridden the R6, and now own a 07 CBR600RR when it comes to supersports.

Tempted to give those Riser bars a try, but I heard they can interfere with the controls and even cause degradation on turning performance - which is pretty unfavorable.

comes to worst I might just swap over to a naked sports bike or a more upright seating bike, at the end of the day I figure that I just wanna enjoy my ride and not deal with the pains too much.

Bike
    '15 Yamaha MT-07
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRaven View Post
    Hi Guys, so I have recently acquired a 2008 Honda CBR600RR instead of the R6, and even though the 600RR is more friendly and easier to ride than the R6 I'm still trying to find out the "correct" riding position, so to not to fatique oneself so easily and get wrist pain.

From what I can pick up on the last thread I made is that I have been pushing down on the handlebars too much - how does one avoid doing this? going chicken wings/bending the elbows slightly and gripping the tank with the thighs?

I did try using my shoulder and back to support the body instead but then on roads with lots of stops it end up giving me one hell of a back pain instead - maybe theres something wrong with the way I sit on the bike as I was resting my body on the tank? (lol)

So yeah I am a total noob when it comes to the aggressive riding position but i'm pretty much wanting to figure out the right riding position. Can anyone give me a pointer for this sorry noob here?

Rather than speculating I'd rather ask the more experienced sportsbike rider here.

Previously I have been riding CBR250R most of the time.

Thanks in advance!
    Coming late to the party here.. and probably repeating what others have said.

My advice, stop overthinking. Relaxing is half, if not most, of the battle won. Also:

-use your thighs to support yourself
    -light on the handlebars (don't grip them with a fist, just lightly lay your palms on them with thumbs around)
    -keep elbows in their natural (bent) position
    -shoulders/traps down
    -and lastly, tighten your core (the hardest of the lot)

I know all this is easier said than done as I'm too just figuring this out. Found this online, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shoulderpain.pdf 
Views:	27 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	305419. Written for cyclist but applicable to motorcyclists as well (IMO).

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    With those bikes you have to lie down on the tank when riding to avoid wrist pain and I hope you are aware this can reduce your periferal vision which in my opinion makes these bikes dangerous for the road.

Are you a troll? Because this can't honestly be your opinion. Also, suggest you buy a dictionary. And then find someone who can read the letters and words out loud for you.
    It’s diametrically opposed to the sanitised existence of the Lemmings around me in the Dilbert Cartoon hell I live in; it’s life at full volume, perfect colour with high resolution and 10,000 watts of amplification.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by madbikeboy View Post
    Are you a troll? Because this can't honestly be your opinion.
    Mike, meet Cassina.

Thread Information