Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to sportsbike - Correct seating position?

Bike
    -Bikeless-

New to sportsbike - Correct seating position?

Hi Guys, so I have recently acquired a 2008 Honda CBR600RR instead of the R6, and even though the 600RR is more friendly and easier to ride than the R6 I'm still trying to find out the "correct" riding position, so to not to fatique oneself so easily and get wrist pain.

From what I can pick up on the last thread I made is that I have been pushing down on the handlebars too much - how does one avoid doing this? going chicken wings/bending the elbows slightly and gripping the tank with the thighs?

I did try using my shoulder and back to support the body instead but then on roads with lots of stops it end up giving me one hell of a back pain instead - maybe theres something wrong with the way I sit on the bike as I was resting my body on the tank? (lol)

So yeah I am a total noob when it comes to the aggressive riding position but i'm pretty much wanting to figure out the right riding position. Can anyone give me a pointer for this sorry noob here?

Rather than speculating I'd rather ask the more experienced sportsbike rider here.

Previously I have been riding CBR250R most of the time.

Thanks in advance!

Bike
    2018 Triump Street Triple 765 rs
    Go do California Superbike school.
    They will show you all you need to know.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Trumpydom!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Yep, grip the tank with knees and thighs (also stuff like Stomp Grip is available) and support your body that way.

Most of us see the light and get a bike with a more comfortable riding position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    Google 'twist of the wrist 2' and have a watch

Bike
    I doubt there's any useful verbal advice for you.

I mean, you kinda just need to relax into the position that suits for the situation. It'll be a different one at a stoplight, at 50km/h in traffic (this will never be comfortable) and at open road or motorway speeds.

I expect the best way to achieve this is to go for some big rides. Give yourself heaps of time and head for a far out point on the map. I won't tell you where, just pick somewhere that seems like a long way. Repeat until nothing changes.

Bike
    The pirate bike. Arr-arr!
    A lot of wrist pain can come from the clutch and brake levers being set at the wrong angle so your wrists are bent when you lean on your arms and the tendons have to work hard to support your weight and bend around your wrist as your pull on the levers.

Set the angle of the levers so your wrists are in line with your arms for cruising.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clutch lever angle.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	304257

Bike
    -Bikeless-
    I have ordered a stompgrip from Ebay, its true I suppose - I can't grip the damn tank because its too slippery! Did not expect it'd be really hard to grip the tank when its covered in plastic fairings.

Lever position is also an issue imo, the clutch was too hard and far away. Might order a pair of adjustable levers - they did wonder with my 250R although some adjustment is needed.

As for changing to other bike types, maybe in a couple of years if I do get bored of it. I'll probably consider test riding a few bikes out there.

Twist of the Wrist 2 - Watched it 3x already, 2x when I was on the 250 and 1x last week as soon as I got the issue.

I reckon I'll try out the stompgrips once they arrive and see how that goes altho I'm positive with the grip and lever it will help out a lot.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRaven View Post
    I have ordered a stompgrip from Ebay, its true I suppose - I can't grip the damn tank because its too slippery! Did not expect it'd be really hard to grip the tank when its covered in plastic fairings.

Lever position is also an issue imo, the clutch was too hard and far away. Might order a pair of adjustable levers - they did wonder with my 250R although some adjustment is needed.

As for changing to other bike types, maybe in a couple of years if I do get bored of it. I'll probably consider test riding a few bikes out there.

Twist of the Wrist 2 - Watched it 3x already, 2x when I was on the 250 and 1x last week as soon as I got the issue.

I reckon I'll try out the stompgrips once they arrive and see how that goes altho I'm positive with the grip and lever it will help out a lot.
    Just ride the fucking thing.

Bitch about it when you actually know what it feels like.

Bike
    -Bikeless-
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    Just ride the fucking thing.

Bitch about it when you actually know what it feels like.
    Will take the bike out of town once the weather clears up

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Yep, grip the tank with knees and thighs (also stuff like Stomp Grip is available) and support your body that way.

Most of us see the light and get a bike with a more comfortable riding position.
    Not the ''coolest'' option for some, but an ''educated'' option for others.

Bike
    a red heap
    keep your head down and look up with your eyes.

the amount of Muppets I see riding around with their chins up, arms outstretched is quite comedic.

try this

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Y

Most of us have got old and get a bike with a more comfortable riding position.
    Fixxored for you.......

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    You are overthinking this shit too much.

Get some kms under your belt

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Being a Honda the designers would have assumed you were used to being bent over.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    A
    If you're new to sportsbikes then Grubber has the right idea for starters.

Apart from a bit of training, just ride more clicks and your body will adapt to the riding position. By the time you've logged another 10,000 clicks or so you'll be wondering what the problem was. But set your levers up right, straight line pull forearms to the bars, and that will assist.

Thread Information