Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New to sportsbike - Correct seating position?

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    The type of riding you want to do and ergonomic fit can be two separate things though which is what I felt the posters issue was. Lets hope he can "Condition" himself ok without feeling too uncomfortable or crashing eh!
    Agreed there. You can have a "sporty" riding style on a bike that isn't necessarily a sportsbike. I do believe that there is a middle ground too with many bikes. Honda Hornet/CB range, Ducati Hypermotard, KTM SM range etc. being just a few. I personally am getting quite into the motard style bikes. Strongly considering a Ducati Hypermotard at the moment.
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Agreed there. You can have a "sporty" riding style on a bike that isn't necessarily a sportsbike. I do believe that there is a middle ground too with many bikes. Honda Hornet/CB range, Ducati Hypermotard, KTM SM range etc. being just a few. I personally am getting quite into the motard style bikes. Strongly considering a Ducati Hypermotard at the moment.

I had a sit on a hypermotard in the shop, it felt tiny and light. I bet they are a laugh to punt around some twisties! Not really much of a motard though, more like a slightly different monster. Check out the aprilia dorsoduro range.... The 1200 is nuts and the 750 looks ideal to live with.

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Yes more and more sports bikes are coming out with straight bars but from what poster 1 gave the impression getting sore wrists his bike had lowered bars.
    As a sportsbike, it would have "clip-on's".
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    As a sportsbike, it would have "clip-on's".
    Probably just a cruiser with better handling and a better engine; I hear more an more of them are coming out these days
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

New to sportsbike - Correct seating position?

Some good points raised on getting seat time / clicks under the belt, CSS training, and conditioning. On the latter I see it more about building core strength in the lower back and abdomen. Low impact resistance training on a cross-trainer 3-4 times a week has helped me on top of riding six days a week. To the OP, don't throw the towel in on the 600rr yet, just get out and ride it. Hope it works out.

Edit: +1 vote for tank grips. TechSpec's snakeskin pattern is a good alternative to Stompgrips.

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianW View Post
    +1 vote for tank grips. TechSpec's snakeskin pattern is a good alternative to Stompgrips.
    +1 on the Stompgrips as well.

Bike
    Gone
    Just reading this thread is making my elbows sore, fingers tingle and prostate shudder.

I was in the same position as the OP. Owned a bunch of different bikes but couldn't bring myself to sell my GSXR. None of the other 'touring' oriented bikes could even come close. Switching off the GSXR was like going from a scalpel to a blunt, rusty butter knife.

There are a few things you can do to improve things. One is bar risers. Two is gel seats. Three is adjust your position every few minutes (sit right up at the tank, then a few minutes later sit back a bit. Put your weight on the pegs for a bit and slightly lift your arse off the seat - that kind of stuff). When doing motorway riding, provided there is no hazard in doing so, you can rest your left arm on the tank and use that to briefly support your upper body and relax your back a bit.

When you're riding hard all the above won't matter because you'll be moving around plenty. It's really only a problem on straights/uneventful pieces of road.

After a few weeks/months of riding your body will adjust and it will get easier to do longer trips. But don't expect it to be as comfortable as riding a cruiser.

If you REALLY can't handle it, switch to a sports tourer or more upright bike (Z1000 etc). Or consider extreme options like fitting MX bars to the CBR.

Thread Information