Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Becoming a motorcycle dealer?

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    nice dream mate, but seriously..ask any investor with cash if eh/she would buy a motorcycle shop and the answer would be no! stick with your job and buy and sell on trademe to fund your riding lifestyle like the rest of us do. seriously, a mate of mine could tell you what its like to have a dozen new bikes sitting on the shop floor when the 'new' model year rolls around
    the advice your getting on here isnt a case of quashing your dreams...its bonafide warnings against a bad idea
    Are you saying he'll become extinct?

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by DODO`` View Post
    Just as employee. But I have been working closely with newly established architecture company and seen their struggle.
    I understand starting any business is challenging.

I don't have million dollars to spare and am willing to start small and hopefully grow from there.
    Oh dear so you'll be needing to hire employees as well then. There's been a few bigger projects I'd like to do but would involve hiring workers/assistants, then being responsible for their OSH, welfare and screw-ups and that's before the client has paid the bill. Just buying a few cameras, lenses and lights (let alone motorcycle workshop gear) for my photo stuff has added up to large bill, luckily I'm freehold or I'd be toast financially.

Really in your case I'd recommend buying an existing business that is successful and has good staff and just sit back and let it keep ticking over.
    Starting anything from scratch is WAY harder than you can imagine. And out of all the people who tell you beforehand that your awesome at what you do, only about 10% can prob afford to buy your product and only about 10% of that 10% eg 1% will end up buying something or services. And that's out of people that already know you and trust you.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    A blue one
    Quote Originally Posted by DODO`` View Post
    Hi all,

It's a bold claim I know but I am looking into becoming a motorcycle dealer in the future.

Possibly in Auckland or Sydney.

I'm currently working as an architect and I think its about a point in my life where things change.

As a complete beginner I simply ask..

Whats involved? and where do I start??

Any comments would be appreciated Thanks all.
    J
    it would be nice to have a somewhat decent motorbike shop in Auckland besides the big four.. but I digress..
    If your seriously asking these questions on KB our either a good windup to just plain dumb.

I consistently have over 100K in one line of stock on the shop wall, and hell IM a small fry in the outdoor game.
    SOR or consignment these days is bullshit 20th of the month Ive got to find the money to pay for stock.
    As a small business owner ( you have to surround yourself with good staff that go the extra mile for the customer
    but also have the brains and nous to look after your bottom line. )

mate I could sit here and list the do's and don'ts but I do think Hans is still got scooter emotion for sale...

Bike
    TF125
    Takapuna is literally screaming for a new bike dealership. You should look at importing Chinese pit bikes and scroters I reckon, fuck that Japanese shit.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    You should look at importing Chinese pit bikes and scroters I reckon....
    Fuck yeah, like everyone else.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Piece of good advice I was once given. Don't turn your passion/hobby into a job, or it will be ruined.

As said, to make a small fortune in the industry, start out with a large one.

You'll likely need to speak to a finance company for a floor plan, basically the cashflow for all the bikes. Depends how large you'll start out, what market you'll target etc.

As said as well, if you have no industry experience, you're in for a fun ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Motorcycle dealers survive (or die) on their workshops.

To think anything else is showing a total lack of understanding of the whole 'selling bikes' business.
    As a customer, if you don't have a workshop with a very good reputation for work performed your not on my list. If there's an issue with a bike you sold, how would you address the problem - Send them to one of your competitors with a workshop?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    It is possible that kiwi motorcyclists aren't the best people to have as customers. The number of threads on KB whinging about various dealerships would appear to support that supposition.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    The pirate bike. Arr-arr!
    Dont bother setting up one in Auckland.

There's already 12 plus a couple of scooter dealers that i know of.

Spectrum
    Bmw
    cyclespot honda
    holeshot
    ducati
    Hyosung
    yamaha/Cycletreads
    Indian/victory
    KTL
    Red Baron
    Colemans
    Experience motorcycles

plus scootling and motormail!

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    as someone that has been there, , (I just left the industry after 20 years, and owned a multi franchise dealership for 10 of those) as said above, you end up riding a motorcycle for fun less than ever,

but if you still want to do it,

You need to know what you want to do, do you want to be a franchise dealer? or just an accessory place, or do you want a workshop,

if you want to sell bikes, you need to become a motor vehicle trader (pretty easy, can do online here in NZ, then down to court to get some papers signed, and renew it every year, not sure about Aussie)

Some distributors are easier to deal with than others, but all will look at your business model, and back ground,

its not an easy industry at times, (i dont think there are many of these anymore) but there are some awesome poeple in it, and you make some very good freinds from customers and other bike shop owners,

of course you can look at buying an already established dealer, trademe is the place to look for those, but be aware, jsut buying the business does not mean you will automatically get all the franchises,

if you want me info PM me, happy to help,

Bike
    Yamaha FZ1N
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Shssssh.

You're ruining the fun.
    Katman. Fuck off. Keyboard warrior.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/signaturepics/sigpic20633_3.gif

Bike
    Yamaha FZ1N
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    nice dream mate, but seriously..ask any investor with cash if eh/she would buy a motorcycle shop and the answer would be no! stick with your job and buy and sell on trademe to fund your riding lifestyle like the rest of us do. seriously, a mate of mine could tell you what its like to have a dozen new bikes sitting on the shop floor when the 'new' model year rolls around
    the advice your getting on here isnt a case of quashing your dreams...its bonafide warnings against a bad idea
    Cheers bud.

Bike
    Yamaha FZ1N
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Oh dear so you'll be needing to hire employees as well then. There's been a few bigger projects I'd like to do but would involve hiring workers/assistants, then being responsible for their OSH, welfare and screw-ups and that's before the client has paid the bill. Just buying a few cameras, lenses and lights (let alone motorcycle workshop gear) for my photo stuff has added up to large bill, luckily I'm freehold or I'd be toast financially.

Really in your case I'd recommend buying an existing business that is successful and has good staff and just sit back and let it keep ticking over.
    Starting anything from scratch is WAY harder than you can imagine. And out of all the people who tell you beforehand that your awesome at what you do, only about 10% can prob afford to buy your product and only about 10% of that 10% eg 1% will end up buying something or services. And that's out of people that already know you and trust you.
    Thanks but for the start I'm thinking small. No hiring. So yes very small.

Bike
    Yamaha FZ1N
    Quote Originally Posted by carburator View Post
    it would be nice to have a somewhat decent motorbike shop in Auckland besides the big four.. but I digress..
    If your seriously asking these questions on KB our either a good windup to just plain dumb.

I consistently have over 100K in one line of stock on the shop wall, and hell IM a small fry in the outdoor game.
    SOR or consignment these days is bullshit 20th of the month Ive got to find the money to pay for stock.
    As a small business owner ( you have to surround yourself with good staff that go the extra mile for the customer
    but also have the brains and nous to look after your bottom line. )

mate I could sit here and list the do's and don'ts but I do think Hans is still got scooter emotion for sale...
    Cool thank you sir this is gold

Bike
    Yamaha FZ1N
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    as someone that has been there, , (I just left the industry after 20 years, and owned a multi franchise dealership for 10 of those) as said above, you end up riding a motorcycle for fun less than ever,

but if you still want to do it,

You need to know what you want to do, do you want to be a franchise dealer? or just an accessory place, or do you want a workshop,

if you want to sell bikes, you need to become a motor vehicle trader (pretty easy, can do online here in NZ, then down to court to get some papers signed, and renew it every year, not sure about Aussie)

Some distributors are easier to deal with than others, but all will look at your business model, and back ground,

its not an easy industry at times, (i dont think there are many of these anymore) but there are some awesome poeple in it, and you make some very good freinds from customers and other bike shop owners,

of course you can look at buying an already established dealer, trademe is the place to look for those, but be aware, jsut buying the business does not mean you will automatically get all the franchises,

if you want me info PM me, happy to help,
    Thank you sir.

Thread Information