Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is going to stop you riding your motorbike as in giving up?

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    shite weather and inability to move meant I didnt go
    Shit, I spent saturday night sleeping in the rain and was still so wasted on sunday morning that movement was severely impeded, and I still went. Dont remember much about the trip from Franz to Greymouth early sunday morning though.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Well...currently have my leg in a splint unable to bend more than 10 degrees. physically can't get onto a bike. Shit will heal though, but gotta say that at some point there is risk of doing something permanent and that may be a game changer...
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    All of them
    Feel sorry for you??? Hell, I'm enjoying it Herr Schadencase. :-P

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Schadenfreude.....?

I suppose ending up with alzheimers / dementia would make just remembering where you parked your bike a bit of a challenge....

motorised zimmerframe as a last ride ?
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    aprilia Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    If I have to start paying $2 for road tolls.
    Motorcycles are normally exempt from tolls
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen" Douglas Adams (1952-2001) - not riding a TUONO then!

Bike
    aprilia Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...I can come up with a few that have nothing to do with any self made decision, but I'd rather not dwell on that sort of stuff...
    This for me.

Hdc, isn't this the time to try out some triumph scramblers or Bonneville's or summat?
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen" Douglas Adams (1952-2001) - not riding a TUONO then!

Bike
    aprilia Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Wait, wait, wait, you guys actually ride yours? I thought this was just a role playing site
    Yeah we ride. You're thinking of Akzle

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    Never! Well maybe if I can't or I'm dead. Might have to bury me on the bike lol.
    Skulls N Flames. Bye bye FZR may you have many more miles with your new owner. 600cc time soon!

Bike
    Ebola.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Despite the comments of some, this is something we all face - when do we give up riding or driving, for that matter?

I'm taking early retirement at the end of the year and have already been thinking about whether I need to own two bikes. It's not a cost thing, just do I need two? The answer at the moment is 'yes'. However, I can see me replacing them in the future as and when I find them too heavy for me to feel comfortable riding in a safe manner - both weigh in the 250kg bracket. As a few others have said, downsizing or changing style of bike allows you to continue riding and I think this will be the way I go.

So when will I give up riding? I don't know the answer at the moment, but I do believe I will know when it happens - something will happen and that will be the deciding factor. Meanwhile, I'll continue riding as it keeps the Black Dog at bay...

Bike
    CB1300

What is going to stop you riding your motorbike as in giving up?

Given I have abstained from riding a few times:
    1 because I was not allowed to see my children without a car to pick them up in. Worst six years in my life.
    2 because of extreme wind x 3 days in 20 years.
    A broken foot had me off for a week but then I found the hurting stopped if I put a motorcyle boot on. The remainder of the six to eight weeks I rode a variety of bikes and scooters.
    3 yesterday I turned down a ride to help my wife with the housework.

I have ridden with:
    A broken foot. (Above)
    A torn rotator cuff.
    A two recently dislocates knees.
    A sprained back x 4+. I actually found the Hayabusa to be therapeutic.
    A sprained ankle.
    A slipped disc in my neck, found riding therapeutic.

People do look at you funny riding around with crutches or walking on crutches in full bike gear.

I am not saying HTFU, I am saying where there is a will there is a way. 6 years of fighting the urge to sell everything I own to buy a bike gave me a stronger will than I had before.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by yevjenko View Post
    Motorcycles are normally exempt from tolls

I can only think of one example and that was short lived. Everywhere else they pay a slightly lower toll.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...the answer to this question and myriads of other silly questions is completely unanswerable...nobody knows what the future holds and all the preparedness for later on, is nothing more than hoping that the future runs to your script...just remember that life is what happens between plans...it's like the opening lines to all the Thunderbirds episodes...'anything can happen in the next half hour'...

Bike
    CB1300

What is going to stop you riding your motorbike as in giving up?

Yeah, can't say I planned on getting bowled of my bicycle and receiving significant head trauma. Or that would lead to epilepsy, dislexia, an inability to focus on a single task at a time. Etc etc etc.

This has all slowed me down on reaching all o my goals. But other than my military aspirations it has never kept me from achieving. Just made the road longer and harder.

I'm sure a spinal injury would again change my goals but it would not stop me from having them.

If I let every but become a no I would still legitimately be a disability benificiary.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    at the moment its because i have no forks

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Thread Information