Thread: Husqvarna SM610 questions

Bike
    Kawasaki Z750

Husqvarna SM610 questions

Hey dudes

Sold my DRZ400SM in Dec 2013, but after a year of having no garage, it's time to get another motard...

Looking into the Husqvarna SM610s, there's a couple on TM that look decent but I am wondering if they are actually LAMS legal? According to the LAMS site, the Husky SM450/SM630 are legal but it doesn't mention the 610 model. Wonder if this is an oversight by NZTA or a power to weight thing. Also not too worried about acquiring aftermarket parts and such, happy to order overseas if need be.

Due to get my full when I'm comfortable riding again but was hoping to be "legal" while riding until then.

Have been reading a lot of reviews and searched here as well about the 610s, they seem to be pretty good apart from the small fuel tank. I was looking at the SM630's and they seem to be decent as well - though not a huge power upgrade over the 610 model for the difference in price.

Edit:

Got bored, did some calculations about LAMS stuff...

I did a quick calculation for the power to weight ratio;
    kW rated at 38.7 (stock)
    Tare weight at 142kg
    Results in power to weight at 165.7770064, over the limit of 150 to be on the LAMS list.

But in their LAMS FAQ it says that they take into account + 90kg for a rider+gear for motorbikes on the list, making it...
    kW rated at 38.7 (stock)
    Tare weight at 232kg
    Results in power to weight at 101.4669608, which should fit the bill of under 660cc and under 150 kilowatts per tonne power to weight ratio.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/gett.../lams-faqs.pdf
    http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/gett...plications.pdf

Wonder if I could apply and get it on the list?

Bike
    Getting an official piece of paper with the stats on it is the hard part, especially if the bike is old (I assume it's the 99 you're eyeing up?). I've looked for two different bikes but gave up. I didn't put the application through though so they may accept a bunch of links to websites all citing the same info, give it a go.

Bike
    A black one
    If you don't have to pay anything to apply to get a bike on the list then why not?

Not to be pessimistic but I doubt it would be LAMS approved though after having ridden one.

Bike
    2009 Husqvarna SM610ie
    Quote Originally Posted by f2dz View Post
    Not to be pessimistic but I doubt it would be LAMS approved though after having ridden one.
    Yeah gotta agree; my KTM 660 was apparently well over the LAMS limit and the Husky 610 is a racier engine.

If it was me I'd get it anyway.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    What are the road going Husky's like for parts supply, service intervals and costs?. Are the parts made of unobtanium. Looking on turd me, looks like off road is what they concentrate on. The roadies seem to be reasonably priced given the age and mileage.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    TF125
    I rode that '99 610e home today. The motor sounds like a bag of angry hammers but it's a bloody hoot to ride so it's mission accomplished. I bought it to slow down a little but so far that's a fail with it happy to punt along at 140.

Bike
    Kawasaki Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMasterJ View Post
    Yeah gotta agree; my KTM 660 was apparently well over the LAMS limit and the Husky 610 is a racier engine.

If it was me I'd get it anyway.
    It seems like a logical option - getting a 610 anyways and then borrowing or hiring a 250 type thing for the full test. The 610's are cheaper than the 630's too... I think I read the fine for riding an unapproved bike is like $100 + 35 demerits? Seems worth it if I can save a few grand by buying a 610.

Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    What are the road going Husky's like for parts supply, service intervals and costs?. Are the parts made of unobtanium. Looking on turd me, looks like off road is what they concentrate on. The roadies seem to be reasonably priced given the age and mileage.
    Yeah they have more of a focus on dirt style nowadays, but specific parts for the SM versions are still available through different suppliers and such, overseas as well with the whole postshop US/EU address available. Luckily, a lot of aftermarket dirt parts fit on SM models. From what I've read, service intervals are reasonable something like every 4-5k km's.

Thread Information