Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help make filtering in NZ legal - petition

Bike
    Thanks Big Dave. Done.

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    I didn't sign - I commute everyday from Gulf Harbour to Penros - and sometimes I am splitting in parts at 70-80 kph, never more than 20ish kph faster than the flow of traffic.

The reason is I CBF slowing down, joining the traffic flow for the 200-300 meters where the traffic is going at 50-60 kph before it slows down again, then having to filter again.

Do we need better legislation around Filtering - yes I think we should - but setting arbitrary speed limits that IMHO make little sense in real world filtering scenarios.

we should also immediately revoke the licence of anyone who says 'oh but I don't expect bikes to be there' (if you used your mirrors correctly, you would know if a bike was there or not and wouldn't need to expect anything)
    This man, he gets it. Same thing when I used to commute from west to south Auckland. Did it daily for 2 years, never once had a problem. Other bikes do it too, have split past police and never been pulled up for it. There is an element of risk. Lots of care and attention needed for this.
    Skulls N Flames. Bye bye FZR may you have many more miles with your new owner. 600cc time soon!

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea and I hope Zapf succeeds, but I rather suspect that bringing the practice to prominence will simply get it outlawed.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    All of them
    Yeah. he gets it. A fine, eventually.

DAMHIK.

I don't think the Qld proposal is perfect either.

The bit that I do think is important is to be able to legally use the 'emergency' lane if the traffic is gridlocked.

Bike
    A black one
    Under this proposed new law, motorcyclists holding a full license will be allowed to move between lanes of stationary or slow moving vehicles travelling in the same direction as the rider, provided they are not travelling at more than 30km/h and it is safe to do so.
    So learners or people on restricted licenses aren't allowed to filter/split?

How will the 30kph speed limit be enforced? Will cop radars pick up bikes moving between traffic, or will it be another thing that cops can just guess-timate and turn into his word vs. mine but my word wins?

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by f2dz View Post
    So learners or people on restricted licenses aren't allowed to filter/split?

How will the 30kph speed limit be enforced? Will cop radars pick up bikes moving between traffic, or will it be another thing that cops can just guess-timate and turn into his word vs. mine but my word wins?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    Just thinking when they actually put a number on the speed such as 30K Mr Wellington Gorge Hitler may start issuing tickets for dangerous riding or take your licence on the spot?
    I can also see a cop on one of the over bridges (as they do now) with a laser and one down below collecting tickets?
    No they would have to have proof but be careful out there I bet 90% of us go over 30k everytime we split if this happens plenty of over passes at Spagetti, Ellerslie, Greenlane, Nguaranga gorge for them to set a trap.
    I'd guess they will put the same demerits on the excess speed as if you are speeding over the limit?
    I can see this wish being not so good??
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    I like the idea and I hope Zapf succeeds, but I rather suspect that bringing the practice to prominence will simply get it outlawed.
    I'll have a fiver on there being two bike cops hauling riders over for a chat on the ALK southern within a month.

It would be about due anyway.

The Brisbane cops were doing big business from 'early adopters' on t' M1 during the week.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I'll have a fiver on there being two bike cops hauling riders over for a chat on the ALK southern within a month.

It would be about due anyway.

The Brisbane cops were doing big business from 'early adopters' on t' M1 during the week.
    The way links to the petition are cropping up all over bookface at the moment I'm going to guess we'll see a blitz this side of the holy-days. Oh well, time to buy a gravel bike.

Bike
    z800
    My two cents worth.

Splitting should be allowed in traffic flow upto 70-80kmph no more. The rider should not exceed said traffic flow by more than 15kmph.

Least if it became law more cagers might be aware of us. Man som cagers are so oblivious to their surroundings, cracks me up when they have a little freak out when I go passed them.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifsn8u View Post
    Man som cagers are so oblivious to their surroundings, cracks me up when they have a little freak out when I go passed them.
    I'm not suprised. You have no bike.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    MAG should take this up to capitalise on the success of taking up parking spaces in Ponsonby
    Taking up eight parking spaces at a time when no one is around is abuse of the word success.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Taking up eight parking spaces at a time when no one is around is abuse of the word success.
    How about a mass lane split down the Southern Motorway demonstrating how safe it is.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    How about a mass lane split down the Southern Motorway demonstrating how safe it is.
    Lane split using all three lanes at a very low and safe speed.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    My two cents worth.

Splitting should be allowed in traffic flow upto 70-80kmph no more. The rider should not exceed said traffic flow by more than 15kmph.

Least if it became law more cagers might be aware of us. Man som cagers are so oblivious to their surroundings, cracks me up when they have a little freak out when I go passed them.
    Put some clothes on, freak
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    My two cents worth.
    After reading your post ... it's overpriced ...

With no bike ... you must be able to run pretty fast ..

A law change wont make it safer .. and those cagers that don't like the lane splitters now .... will make no attempt to make it safer. Quite the opposite actually ...

Making it legal wont change the fact that the overtaking vehicle will STILL have the responsibility to do it safely. Any contact with other vehicles will be your fault.

Perhaps ... wear your "Share the Road" T-shirt ... most people driving cars can read ..
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information