Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help make filtering in NZ legal - petition

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries

Help make filtering in NZ legal - petition

Please Petition to the NZ Government to legalize filtering for Motorcycles.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...rcyclists.html
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    A fast one
    With the recent movements in the US and Australia I say it's only a matter of time before it is legalised in one form or another.

Not like many cops have a problem with (safe) lane splitting currently anyway (minus the one down south from that other thread)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapf View Post
    Please Petition to the NZ Government to legalize filtering for Motorcycles.
    Why ... ??? Overtaking is already legal in New Zealand. BUT ... there ARE rules.

To overtake at ANY time requires some degree of common sense to do it safely ( something often seen lacking in some ) ....

If the law enforcers perceive your overtaking actions to be dangerous ... you can (and usually will) be ticketed. No changes in any legislation will alter that.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    From what I read in the petition it doesn't set a speed limit for our filtering speed only the moving traffic?

"slow moving vehicles travelling in the same direction as the rider, provided they are not travelling at more than 30km/h"

Is there a filtering speed limit set in the Aussy legislation?

It does if your on the left on the shoulder

allowed to ride through stationary or slow moving traffic at speeds not greater than 30km/hr on the road shoulder
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    Is there a filtering speed limit set in the Aussy legislation?
    Affirmative.

Quote Originally Posted by The Queensland Orthorities
    Lane splitting is a term sometimes used for riding a motorcycle at speed through moving traffic. The higher speed increases the unpredictability of motorcycle movements and so would increase the crash risk for the rider and other road users, including pedestrians and cyclists. In Queensland lane filtering at over 30km/hr will be prohibited and penalties will apply.

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Affirmative.
    Just read the legislation Not worded very clear in the first paragraph, at first read, I took "they" to mean the surrounding traffic??
    Further down it makes it clear.

So if you got caught travelling 40k over the 30k does that now mean instant loss of licence as it does with speeding?

Just sorta thinkin if the Auckland traffic is jambed up at spagetti junction dribbing along at 40K I'm often sliding from lane to lane as the traffic staggers.
    There's heaps of bikes actually splitting. I tend to wait for the traffic to juggle itself for a gap to appear in the other lane.
    I guess if you get stuck behind two that where side by side for to long you'd have to make sure to pass on the right of the car and left of the centre line?
    So in that case would you be passing or splitting?

Just thinking when they actually put a number on the speed such as 30K Mr Wellington Gorge Hitler may start issuing tickets for dangerous riding or
    take your licence on the spot?
    I can also see a cop on one of the over bridges (as they do now) with a laser and one down below collecting tickets?

Its not that hard to go 70K if your excelerating into a gap?
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    So if you got caught travelling 40k over the 30k does that now mean instant loss of licence as it does with speeding?

Just sorta thinkin if the Auckland traffic is jambed up at spagetti junction dribbing along at 40K I'm often sliding from lane to lane as the traffic staggers.
    There's heaps of bikes actually splitting. I tend to wait for the traffic to juggle itself for a gap to appear in the other lane.
    I guess if you get stuck behind two that where side by side for to long you'd have to make sure to pass on the right of the car and left of the centre line?
    So in that case would you be passing or splitting?

Just thinking when they actually put a number on the speed such as 30K Mr Wellington Gorge Hitler may start issuing tickets for dangerous riding or
    take your licence on the spot?
    I can also see a cop on one of the over bridges (as they do now) with a laser and one down below collecting tickets?

Its not that hard to go 70K if your excelerating into a gap?
    Yeah, but at least (for some) there will be more clarity around the situation than there is currently

Bike
    a red heap
    Fucksakes, some people have weird hobbies.

Bike
    Internet forum idiots:
    Impotent armchair experts since ages ago....

I wonder why similar legislation has been so successful in the UK and other parts of the world when people like the Hon. Madness have had all the answers all along. Didn't they know all they have to do is visit Kiwibiker and the solutions are clear? Silly world.

God I hope the law stays completely grey and murky so that I can ride however I want and bend the law in my direction until I cause an accident. They should get rid of speed limits and make talking on cellphones while riding compulsory.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
    Internet forum idiots:
    I know, right?

Right now, if I want to overtake another vehicle it is legal for me to do so without having to cross the centre line, providing I do so on the right hand side of said vehicle but remaining inside that lane. Pretty fucking clear, innit?

With the exception of the filthy popo in Wellington on a vendetta, if you're having an issue with splitting and getting tickets I'd respectfully suggest that you're obviously doing it wrong and riding like a fuckwit. You deserve a serve.

The filthy popo in Wellington probably just got sick and tired of moaning fuckwits talking about appeals and changing the laws to suit them and decided to have a go of it. You can hardly blame him.

Those of you that think we'll (as in a collective of motorcyclists) be able to influence any new legislation relating to motorcycle speed on a public road, can I please have some of what you're smoking? You're fucking dreaming.

Bike
    You win the internet.

That's passing. Not filtering or splitting as described in successful foreign legislation.
    Any group can influence legislation if they agree and speak.
    It's a shame when impotent naysayers try to convince them otherwise. A real shame.

Bike
    TF125
    Any group can influence legislation if they agree and speak.
    It's a shame when impotent naysayers try to convince them otherwise. A real shame.
    Oh, like when motorcyclists tried to influence the implementation of wire rope barriers? Perhaps you mean the infamous ACC Hikoi and subsequent protests? Silly me, how could I have forgotten such monumental examples of motorcyclists collectively influencing legislation.

Maybe we should have a referendum. After the flag one, of course. What's another $26,000,000 when it's obviously such a massive issue?

By the way, you'll be pleased to know that I can maintain a healthy erection for hours, given the right stimulus. You just didn't do it for me, sweetheart.

Bike
    So. Much. Awesome. In. One. Person. Can't. Deny.

impotent
    ˈɪmpət(ə)nt
    adjective

unable to take effective action; helpless or powerless.
    "he was seized with an impotent anger" "Madness is just an impotent, ignorant forum dweeb"
    synonyms: powerless, ineffective, ineffectual, inadequate, weak, useless, worthless, vain, futile, unavailing, unsuccessful, profitless, fruitless, Madness.
    antonyms: powerful, effective, strong, not Madness.

Hey guy, if you don't want the change, move on. Nothing to be gained by throwing your used tampons around about it eh?

Bike
    TF125
    Hey guy, if you don't want the change, move on. Me and the other sheep-like muppets around here will do our best to ensure that even more restrictions are placed on us, regardless of there being no real need for change. You see, it's about making me feel like I'm important, that I matter in the world. I have self-confidence issues, I wet the bed at night and I'm a general soft-cock homo.
    You obviously have no concept of humor either. Sad, sad sheep.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Those of you that think we'll (as in a collective of motorcyclists) be able to influence any new legislation relating to motorcycle speed on a public road, can I please have some of what you're smoking? You're fucking dreaming.
    Ding dong, you have just won first prize for Most Correctist Answer on the Internets.

Thread Information