Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Lest we forget"

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"

"Lest we forget"

It's coming up to that time of year again ...

I'm a Brit, an Aussi, a Kiwi too.
    I've probably lost as many family as anyone else in the various wars the governments of the day have embroiled us in.

I've also been a member of the armed services, so don't think I'm a card-carrying "forgive and forget" pacifist - I'm not.

BUT
    what I'm going to be remembering when 11th comes around is
    • that our governments sent our young people overseas to fight and sometimes die (and very messily and painfully too) in situations where, if our homelands were attacked, it was because of the alliances we made
    • as far as I can see, Germany and Japan attacked us only because of those alliances and the other combatants with which our masters engaged us never even threatened our native soil

so - I'm remembering our dead
    remembering how they were misled
    into thinking
    the stinking
    wounds that they suffered and blood that they shed
    was somehow worthwhile.......

while it was just some wet dream of those that sent them ... who cowered, safe, 'at home' and mebbe even profited from it, one way or another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUwDHNJlJ2I

So, sleep well all our honourable dead
    You died because your country required it
    That it was not an honourable request by those you should have been able to trust
    does not detract in the slightest from our respect for you
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    Kawasaki
    Oh fuck off.

You could have just honoured them without the spin.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by mstriumph View Post
    [*]as far as I can see, Germany and Japan attacked us only because of those alliances and the other combatants with which our masters engaged us never even threatened our native soil
    What a lot of crap

When did Japan and Germany attack us???

Japan attacked the USA who up to that stage had stayed out of the war apart from arms supplys.

Germany were warned time and time that if they invaded Poland England would have no option but to declare war. Chamberlain did everything but show a white flag to Hitler and his mob.

You would be happy for Europe and where ever else was under the third reich???

Dickhead

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    which our masters engaged us
    M'dear, if you'd suggested to any one of the dearly departed that their choices were anything but their own you'd have got your bottom spanked.

Same today.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with some of the OPs assertions and leave it at that - a rememberence thread is not the place for a Flame War.

On the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the Eleventh month - we shall remember them.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with some of the OPs assertions and leave it at that - a rememberence thread is not the place for a Flame War.

On the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the Eleventh month - we shall remember them.
    Yep, well said, I'll second that motion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    I reckon they would appreciate your words more highly than others mstriumph. Even though they are gone, they were someone's father, mother, daughter, son, uncle, best mate, husband to be, promising pianist, philanthropist, architect, doctor, binman etc... Doesn't really matter what day it is or what hour it is, it doesn't change what they did. However, that is already being forgotten.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    It was on the good
    Alcohol fueled posts are great.

Bike
    Sold
    Totally agree with mstriumph! ...

War is a complete waste of everything and if our glorious dead could speak for themselves I am sure that they would agree!

Have we learned nothing from their sacrifice ... we shall remember them! R.I.P.

Meanwhile, don't forget the stupid bastards and their stupid logic and so called reasoning that sent them there either!

They will do it again and again, if we let them!

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Being English and having a grandfather that served in WW1, and 4 uncles in WW2 I will remember them on a personal level. I'll also remember all those lost in other conflicts to protect British people and interests, and especially those that have died carrying out peacekeeping activities around the world.

For those people with better than 20/20 hindsight as to why conflicts happened...it would be great to see the same level of commitment and personal sacrifice to prevent further "needless" loss as those armed forces people gave so many, many, times.

To me the best way to remember them is to strive to build a more peaceful world, one relationship at a time.
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    tuesday at 11pm?
    party at mel brown's.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I've probably lost as many family as anyone else in the various wars the governments of the day have embroiled us in.
    Probably ... means you're guessing. State FACT (on THIS subject) or shut up.

I've also been a member of the armed services, so don't think I'm a card-carrying "forgive and forget" pacifist - I'm not.
    SO HAVE I ... and I do ...

BUT
    what I'm going to be remembering when 11th comes around is

that our governments sent our young people overseas to fight and sometimes die (and very messily and painfully too) in situations where, if our homelands were attacked, it was because of the alliances we made
    True ... no dispute there.

as far as I can see, Germany and Japan attacked us only because of those alliances and the other combatants with which our masters engaged us never even threatened our native soil
    Japan attacked Aussie ... and had us (NZ) in their sights for dominance of the greater Pacific area. (Why buy when you CAN own)

so - I'm remembering our dead
    remembering how they were misled
    into thinking
    the stinking
    wounds that they suffered and blood that they shed
    was somehow worthwhile.......

while it was just some wet dream of those that sent them ... who cowered, safe, 'at home' and mebbe even profited from it, one way or another.
    I remember/KNEW some of those dead ... before they died. And ... spoke to their Parents afterwards. THEY ... and I ... believed we served with a true purpose. AND .. none I knew ever regretted being in those places.

So, sleep well all our honourable dead
    You died because your country required it
    Pull your head in. You're NOT impressing or convincing ANYBODY.

Our Country ASKED it of us. We didn't HAVE to go. Few that went anywhere ... had any regrets. What didn't impress us ... was the attitude of those that DIDN'T go.

That it was not an honourable request by those you should have been able to trust
    does not detract in the slightest from our respect for you
    YOUR opinion only ... and those that served overseas ... had no respect for any comments of that ... (or similar vein).
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    YOUR opinion only ... and those that served overseas ... had no respect for any comments of that ... (or similar vein).
    They would have never ever used bold and capital letters together either (or multi quoted), their English teacher would have fair rapped their knuckles with the cane for that.
    Nice to see all that patriotic fervour backed up with Japanese bike ownership ;p
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Nice to see all that patriotic fervour backed up with Japanese bike ownership ;p
    My bike is Japanese ... as I have no issue with JAPAN .. (China is another story)

Those that returned from the Somme were called hero's ...

Those that returned from Da Nang were called Baby Killers.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Probably ... means you're guessing. State FACT (on THIS subject) or shut up.

SO HAVE I ... and I do ...

True ... no dispute there.

Japan attacked Aussie ... and had us (NZ) in their sights for dominance of the greater Pacific area. (Why buy when you CAN own)

I remember/KNEW some of those dead ... before they died. And ... spoke to their Parents afterwards. THEY ... and I ... believed we served with a true purpose. AND .. none I knew ever regretted being in those places.

Pull your head in. You're NOT impressing or convincing ANYBODY.

Our Country ASKED it of us. We didn't HAVE to go. Few that went anywhere ... had any regrets. What didn't impress us ... was the attitude of those that DIDN'T go.

...you are pulling your cock and blowing your horn, whilst giving your opinion, in my opinion...

Thread Information