Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprint ST/GT or CBR1000?

Bike
    2000 VFR800

Sprint ST/GT or CBR1000?

Hi all,

I have a 2000 VFR800 which i love but am thinking about upgrading soon. I give the vfr a hard time whenever i can but sometimes feel even at full throttle and with the V4's lungs hanging out ,its just not quite enough anymore. I like the comfort , and I like to do big trips. Its done nearly 80000ks.
    I like the idea of a triumph sprint ST or newer GT but on paper they are a bit fat (240kg ish) and only 128hp. The VFR is 110hp and 210kg. OR do I get a 2008 upwards CBR1000 that has snot loads of power and look awesome. What are they like on big trips? Can I make the triumph more stroppy? The speed triple is no slouch and has the same specs as the ST. Hmmm... Thoughts or any other suggestions?

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    z1000 maybe.
    Not sure cbr1000 will be comfortable for long distance for the average rider.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    2000 VFR800
    Yea I have thought about Z1000, pretty well priced too.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by V4800 View Post
    Yea I have thought about Z1000, pretty well priced too.
    Guess you need ride a few bikes.
    I bought a blackbird thinking it would be a great 2 up bike.
    Day 2 of South Island tour my back was killing me. Most would say a great mile machine but didn't work for me.
    Turns out I need a slight forward lean and weight on my arms to be comfortable for long periods of time.
    Maybe if you find your current bike good for long rides find a bike that FEELS similar to ride with more performance.

Bike
    2000 VFR800
    I agree, I need to ride a few bikes but its hard finding bikes to ride, the dealers want you all signed up for their finance first and most people on tard me want the same... If it was a car I could cruise into any shop or private seller and drive whatever i wanted. Dont want to waste peoples time but would like a good idea of what i wanted before the application went to credit control for approval. haha

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    the dealers want you all signed up for their finance first
    Really?
    The only thing I have signed is an insurance and speed camera form.
    Have you tried test riding since you have owned you vfr or are these memories of arriving at a bike shop without a bike?
    Im sure if you explain your after a upgrade without exceeding a 10k budget(or whatever) you will be taken as being a perspective genuine buyer. This must be how bike shops sell second hand bike still one would assume.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    I agree, I need to ride a few bikes but its hard finding bikes to ride, the dealers want you all signed up for their finance first and most people on tard me want the same... If it was a car I could cruise into any shop or private seller and drive whatever i wanted. Dont want to waste peoples time but would like a good idea of what i wanted before the application went to credit control for approval. haha
    What a load of bulls arse.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Have I got the bike for you! I have a Yamaha Fazer FZ1 2009 for sale. Might just tick all your boxes. And I live in Lincoln if you wish to check it out. No power issues with an R1 motor but plenty comfortable for touring. Just did 750 Kim's on Saturday!

Bike
    Gone
    Dunno about the CBR but I found the Z1000 to be really uncomfortable. Every bump I hit, the force would transfer through the suspension & frame and right in the perineum which resulted in agony after a mere 1 hour or so.

Hilarious thing being, I never had any issue on my 2001 GSX-R 1000 which preceeded the Z1000. I bought the Z1000 because it looked really comfortable. After that I owned a 2003 and 2006 GSX-R 1000 also. Both had me in agony in under an hour.

The point I'm tying to convey is you need to ride it and see what's good for your shape. A longish test ride if possible. But personally I've always held that it is impossible to learn if a bike is right or not after a test drive, really gotta live with it for a while before you get a good feel for it.

Bike
    I agree, I need to ride a few bikes but its hard finding bikes to ride, the dealers want you all signed up for their finance first
    You must be going to the wrong ones.

The Blackbird is fairly similar to the VFR but with a decent amount more power. They're pretty good value these day as well.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
    Dunno about the CBR but I found the Z1000 to be really uncomfortable. Every bump I hit, the force would transfer through the suspension & frame and right in the perineum which resulted in agony after a mere 1 hour or so.
    That's because the suspension is shit. It's a Kawasaki tradition of trying to fix cheap suspension parts that may have damping for the first hour of riding the bike with springs that would be suitable for a Goldwing with 400kg of rider and passenger on board. They should either do it right or stick with what they're good at and that ain't building bikes.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    Of the options mentioned - the Triumph Sprint GT is the best fit for the mileage/touring you mention. But I'm biased...I own one. But only after looking at the other options first. Best option for pillion comfort I could find within a "sports" bike configuration.
    Standard with luggage and has 20 litre tank vs about 17l on the VFR. At 128 HP it is not the hottest bike out - but it is not designed as a canyon carver. Longer wheel base and increased weight - make it best for comfortable touring and weekend fun. I would consider a VFR1200 if it had better fuel range.

Bike
    2000 VFR800
    Ok so seems I need to roll into some shops and TELL them I want to ride some bikes. Id have to say the local yamaha shop was the worst for letting us test ride. Havent been in there for ages though. SVboy how much are you wanting for the FZ1? Blackbirds seem well priced too... I was told to check out a ZX14!! thats a lot of bike

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    That's because the suspension is shit. It's a Kawasaki tradition of trying to fix cheap suspension parts that may have damping for the first hour of riding the bike with springs that would be suitable for a Goldwing with 400kg of rider and passenger on board. They should either do it right or stick with what they're good at and that ain't building bikes.
    But they have done some mental feeling motors.
    That's about all that springs to mind. I love the power delivery on my shitter. But it's a porky junker

Buy a 'busa. Then you'll never whinge about power again and it makes even the ugliest inbred fat wife look good
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I was told to check out a ZX14!! thats a lot of bike
    Sell you mine for a small fortune.
    Comes with luggage.

Thread Information