Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keep or trade in?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I used to buy 2 to 3 year old cars. So always had a next to new car and only ever spent money on tires & basic servicing.

I reckon that's the way to go with bikes, too. Buy near new. Less investment & less of a hit when you get your next near new machine.
    Maha being a perfect example. My condolences mate.

Or you could do what I have. Slowly fill your shed up with bikes that you can't bring yourself to part with because they have no cash value & really tick your boxes.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    I have lost very little on bikes over the years, primarily because I don't spend bucket loads on extras/mods. I lost money on the FA (in reality $4-5K because it was second hand and not worth what I paid for it) but I know people who spend a lot more than that (crazy money in fact) on tarting their bike up.
    I'm ahem... probably the opposite. I've probably spent in excess of $15k modifying the GSA and it wasn't cheap to start with. However, it's almost exactly what I want and I couldn't imagine having anything else (I've even tried).

I also seem to be holding onto bikes longer and longer. Last bike, the KTM was 27 months. The BMW is 46 months and counting... bit surprised myself, but I've pretty much concluded I'm keeping this as long as it's financially viable, then I'll buy another of the same model and swap all the bits over...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GS1200SS/RD400 Drag Bike

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    $1500 20 years ago would have been a fair chunk of change wouldn't it? What was the average price you were paying for the bikes?
    Hi
    $7000

Such a long time ago

Richard

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I'm ahem... probably the opposite. I've probably spent in excess of $15k modifying the GSA and it wasn't cheap to start with. However, it's almost exactly what I want and I couldn't imagine having anything else (I've even tried).

I also seem to be holding onto bikes longer and longer. Last bike, the KTM was 27 months. The BMW is 46 months and counting... bit surprised myself, but I've pretty much concluded I'm keeping this as long as it's financially viable, then I'll buy another of the same model and swap all the bits over...
    Probably a viable idea to swap/keep the mods when you have paid more for them than the bike will be worth when selling.
    No one ever wins on a deal when selling, it's just a matter of how you are prepared to lose getting to that point.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    All of those are weekend jobs too though

And what sort of pussy doesn't polish his con-rods
    Carillo rods.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I would say people that spend more money on mods than the bike is worth have possibly bought the wrong bike to start off with. Generally speaking mods will decrease and not improve resale value.
    I would say you don't 'get' motorcycling and would be happier on a knitting forum.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    I would say people that spend more money on mods than the bike is worth have possibly bought the wrong bike to start off with. Generally speaking mods will decrease and not improve resale value.
    I'd say if you're buying a bike with the idea that you won't want it in a few years, you're buying the wrong bike to start off with.

I mean come on, what really changes these days? few more poinies added to the 'far too many to use on the road anyway box' suspension and handling has changed fuck all and you're far better off seeing RT than expecting newer bikes to fix that, and all the other things like styling is rider preference anyway.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    I would say you don't 'get' motorcycling and would be happier on a knitting forum.
    Or look to get something different than you out of motorcycling.
    I buy a bike to ride. Not spend hours toiling over.
    I'll change things like bars, and levers for ergonomic reasons. I'll add things like fender extenders and heated grips to add practicality but I buy my bikes for the ride not the workshop. If it needs more than that sell it and buy another. Or buy another. Bike that does what you want.

I have always wanted a project bike. But that would be a different proposition again.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    CB1300

Keep or Trade in ?

I'd say if you're buying a bike with the idea that you won't want it in a few years, you're buying the wrong bike to start off with.

I mean come on, what really changes these days? few more poinies added to the 'far too many to use on the road anyway box' suspension and handling has changed fuck all and you're far better off seeing RT than expecting newer bikes to fix that, and all the other things like styling is rider preference anyway.
    Hence I tend to own my bikes longer than 5 years.
    At 3 years old the Hayabusa got a louder horn.
    At 6 years old the Hayabusa got heated grips.
    At 9 years old I sold her because I needed the money. If I had not needed the money I would still have her.

Current bike got wider bars, heated grips, crash bungs, and some hand guards within months. They were always factored into purchase to commuterise the bike.
    Barring an off or a drastic change in circumstances I expect he to keep putting out for the next 150,000+ kms. Basically until she is uneconomical to maintain.

Does not mean there may not be another bike bought or sold on the side. Unlike wives they don't expect you to be faithful.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...every one of the many bikes I have owned over the last 42 years have been brand new...but they were always brand new a decade or two earlier than I owned them...and,what is this money you all talk of?...I have forgotten what it looks like...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Two tips.

1. Buy a more expensive bike, my mods haven't cost half of what I paid for the bike. However, soon the cost of the mods will be about even with the bike's value

2. Don't fit mods for resale value... well, I can't figure out why anyone would do that. Mods made are for personal reasons and desire. 1/3 of the 15k was for electronic Ohlins, and wow, sooo much better than stock. I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Hi
    $7000

Such a long time ago

Richard
    So you're looking at 21% loss back then to 30% plus (on the optimistic side even) these days after a quick look

Still not as bad as what you lose value wise on some things, but it's all relative to your income/what's in the bank I guess. $6000 to some is what $6 is to others.

if money wasn't an issue I wouldn't have a problem with a new bike every year Hard part would be finding a new one I'd actually want.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110373434_full.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	305589
    This, a mint example. 50yrs and 50th bike.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GSXRWaterCooled0463.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	305590
    Is probably going to turn into this,(well close but different headlight) but I'll never sell it which ever I choose.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    Value is in my estimation a very subjective concept.
    Yes. I have had my 1250 for five and a half years now - put more than 60,000ks on it (remember, I have two bikes, so I ride the other one during the week - the 1250 is my weekend/long distance bike)

I love it. That's the value for me ... I don't really care about the cost or price I could sell it for .. my being is invested in this bike (my wife knows never to ask which comes first, her or the bike ... she knows which choice i have made in the past ...) just as my being has been invested in bikes I have previously owned, ridden for years and finally sold because it was no longer practical to run them.

The value is enjoying the ride and knowing that the 1250 will get me from Whakatane to Christcurch and back (the longest way possible) with no issues ...

Enjoy yours ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    bandit

Yeah - and most people can't handle what they get from their bikes now .. I know my 1250 still can scare the shit out of me when I really open the throttle in low gears .. I had to grab the bars harder just the other day or I would have gone over the back .. and I've been riding regularly for 40 plus years ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Thread Information