Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 questions: Learner curfew exemption and is it true?

Bike
    92 ZXR 250

2 questions: Learner curfew exemption and is it true?

Hey guys, with the sun shining, my wallet feeling too light and a mate with a new bike...its safe to say I have the bug and im back on 2 wheels

I have had my learners for over 3 years now (yeah I know, could have had my tl1000 by now) and I have been riding home from work at 2am. All was going well until i got pulled over one night and given a fine or 28 days compliance to get my restricted. How difficult is it to get an exeption from the curfew? I have no other need for it except for riding a 15min trip 5 nights a week at 2am. I cant find much info on the NZTA website about it.

Im booked to sit my restricted on the 28th Jan, and a mate says that if the instructer feels that the rider is good enough , he can let you sit your full on the same day....how true is this? Im no Rossi , but am pretty confident having grown up racing MX and many years on the road...just never been legal lol.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Who cares, what are the odds of being pulled over again?

As for sitting your full on the same day, sounds like bullshit to me. Instructors don't have the authority to over-rule legislation - doesn't it have to be 12 months after getting your restricted before you can sit your full?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bingslayer View Post
    All was going well until i got pulled over one night and given a fine or 28 days compliance to get my restricted. How difficult is it to get an exeption from the curfew? I have no other need for it except for riding a 15min trip 5 nights a week at 2am. I cant find much info on the NZTA website about it.
    There is a thread on here about exemptions... basically, you can apply for any exemption you like, and each one is individually assessed on it's merits. You're less likely to get one on a learners than restricted. A restricted licence carries the same curfew.

Quote Originally Posted by bingslayer
    Im booked to sit my restricted on the 28th Jan, and a mate says that if the instructer feels that the rider is good enough , he can let you sit your full on the same day....how true is this?
    Lovely story, completely false. The only way to shortcut the time is to do CBTA. He's not an instructor, he's a testing officer, and he can't contradict law.

There are also changes in the pipeline and being rolled out to force people to progress through the licence stages or lose the class of licence. Buck up and finish your licence.

edit: Search is a fantastic thing. Try it.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...cense-for-work
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-dispensations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Who cares, what are the odds of being pulled over again?
    Very high. Cops get really pissed at people that don't do what they are told.
    Can guarantee he will be pulled again within a week if still riding, especially at that hour when bugger all traffic about.
    Carry that evidence of you being booked in on the 28th and they might show some leniency if your not riding like an idiot at the time.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Dont have one now
    a mate says that if the instructer feels that the rider is good enough , he can let you sit your full on the same day....how true is this? Im no Rossi
    Your mate is making up a story ( commonly called lies)

and

you are clearly no Rossi, no need to point that out

Bike
    The Conscience
    If you are doing a CBTA Asessment, once you have your restricted you are able to sit the full license assessment at any time, however you are not able to present that certificate to progress through to your full license until you have held your restricted for 12 months
    "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I have been riding home from work at 2am. All was going well until i got pulled over one night and given a fine or 28 days compliance to get my restricted. How difficult is it to get an exeption from the curfew? I have no other need for it except for riding a 15min trip 5 nights a week at 2am. I cant find much info on the NZTA website about it.
    You really have only the two choices that I've highlighted. To get out of the fine .. get your restricted license (if you are allowed to) .... or ... be prepared to pay the fine ...

THEN apply for the exemption ... first things first.

Bikes with L plates at 2am are Cop bait. Especially if its registered owner is a learner rider. If the bikes registered owner is a fully licensed rider ... random plate checks will find nothing amiss. (hint)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Exemptions ...

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/dr...pplication.pdf

If you are applying for an exemption to drive unsupervised
    on a restricted licence between the hours of 10pm and 5am,
    you must provide:

The reason you need to travel unsupervised outside the
    normal hours of the restricted licence.

A letter from your employer confirming your start and/
    or finish times and the length of your employment if the
    request for an exemption is to travel to and from work.

Alternative travel methods that are available to you
    (eg bus routes).

Any travel arrangements that existed prior to the
    application for an exemption and why these arrangements
    are no longer appropriate.

Addresses you wish to travel between (eg home address
    and work address), the distance to be travelled and the
    likely travel time.

Days and times you wish to travel (eg between 10pm and
    11pm on Sundays and Mondays), and

If you are under 18 and reside with your parents or
    guardians, you will need to provide a letter of authority
    from them. If you are under 18 and do not reside with
    your parents or guardians, you will need to include that
    information in your application

We're unlikely to grant exemptions
    ...for

learner car driver licences (class 1)
    learner motorcycle licences (class 6)
    the first six months of your restricted licence
    work purposes only (eg nanny, security, deliveries).
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Use a old moped until you get your full license. They are cheap and you won't lose much if anything on it after a year of use.

Bike
    Yamaha XVS650 Classic
    Bit of a necro.

I find it ridiculous that I cannot get an exemption based on having been driving a car for 30+ years, day and night. The car is off the road at the moment so I am stuck using public transport. I cannot ride my bike at park at work if I plan to be out and won't be back home until after 10pm.
    A fart is just your arse applauding. - Billy Connolly

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGeek View Post
    Bit of a necro.

I find it ridiculous that I cannot get an exemption based on having been driving a car for 30+ years, day and night. The car is off the road at the moment so I am stuck using public transport. I cannot ride my bike at park at work if I plan to be out and won't be back home until after 10pm.
    30years with a car licence means you should have sat the additional 6 oral questions and got your bike licence started at the same time.
    Not much you can do but get restricted and apply or get a moped and ride it on car licence to work.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Even more ridiculous you didn't sit your test in 3 years.....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Yamaha XVS650 Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    Even more ridiculous you didn't sit your test in 3 years.....
    You mean me? I only started riding in September last year then spent November to mid Jan in a cast and then a moonboot so I don't know what this "3 years" thing you mention is all about.

Bike
    Yamaha XVS650 Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    30years with a car licence means you should have sat the additional 6 oral questions and got your bike licence started at the same time.
    Not much you can do but get restricted and apply or get a moped and ride it on car licence to work.
    I had to sit the full written test to get my learners at the AA in Auckland.

Bike
    Yeah it is redundant if you already have your full bike or car license and have to abide by it while getting the other.
    For first license around and under a certain age it isn't a terrible idea though.

Thread Information