Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunbeam S7 deluxe

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    There was one on the Auckland Rally on Saturday, parked down the back by the car on the left.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG22961_zps9da61f3d.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	305904

I think there was one on Trade Me not that long ago.

Worm and Roller....thats what my old Kombi uses for a steering box, the BMW use a car type one
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by TLDV8 View Post
    There may very well be merit in the thinner oils, there are few modern synthetics recommended and they are no where near 140 viscosity.
    A case of try and keep an eye on it perhaps.
    The old man had an S7 briefly...mainly to see if they were as bad as reported. It was. Moved on smartly. He finished up with a 250 BMW he had for years.

oils - when people started serious rallying with Mazda 323 FWD Turbo's they regularly ate the center diff...One particular synthetic, a castrol from memory, let the diff live.

Bike
    a red heap
    I used 140 gear oil in my sunbeam once, I wouldn't recommend it and I certainly wouldn't use it again. It made my Toasted sandwiches nearly inedible.

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    I used 140 gear oil in my sunbeam once, I wouldn't recommend it and I certainly wouldn't use it again. It made my Toasted sandwiches nearly inedible.
    Only nearly?

Bike
    suzuki
    why wasn't the woman cooking?

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    why wasn't the woman cooking?
    It was a Thursday, she doesn't drink and fry.

Bike
    suzuki
    It was a Thursday, she doesn't drink and fry.
    drinking on a school night, tch tch tch....

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    drinking on a school night, tch tch tch....
    we only go to Sunday school these days.

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    No new Sunbeam owners then.
    I picked up the internals of a S7 gearbox off eBay.uk as per page one after the seller stripped the clusters from the case to get the postage down

eBay picture.

All new bronze bushes and bearings and it came up quite well.

photo IMG_1715.jpg

photo IMG_1682.jpg

Was lucky enough to get what is basically a new worm wheel and worm screw form the UK, it had been purchased by the seller in the early 1960's.
    The local bearing shop found some NOS RHP bearings as a bonus that were picked up yesterday.

photo WormWheel_1.jpg

Rockers and rear bush sent to the UK came back with new sintered bronze bushes and new stellite pads with the bush re white metaled to 0.010" undersize.

photo Rocker.jpg

I read (on the Internet so it must be true) there were some 16000 S7 / S7 Deluxe and S8's built, they must be all on the road because used parts are thin on ground for the most part but did get one new connecting rod and a new kick start quadrant from New Zealand.

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    At the Darwin LNG project so progress has slowed....

photo IMG_3510.jpg

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Man - I LOVE your work.... Always impressive...

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Not much to report, still doing my bit for Australia (8 years away on Oct 17th)

I did pick up another S7 Deluxe (1953) a month or so back, it had been picked up from a deceased estate some 16 years ago and then dry stored in what looked to be some form of aviation container.
    Prior to that it had been in an attic so the story goes so may not have been ridden since the 1970's.
    Very complete and only the hand grips and headlight glass/reflector missing.

photo 3.jpg

I did also pick up one of these, a AMR300 supercharger which came up nicely after a strip, clean and inspection, maybe something for the 49 S7 deluxe.
    Before picture.

photo AMR 300.jpg

Work on that bike had been on hold but should recommence after finding an excellent head (early this month) from the UK for the very reasonable price of AU$212 + post, a wheel also arrived from NZ for NZ$95 + post last week.

photo 2.jpg

I had also been doing a transmission refurb for the 1973 Eldorado and had drilled the engine block so an oil filter pan can be used along with a later front main bearing flange.
    SWMBO asks quite often why I don't buy a new bike........ hmmm.
    Some pics in the below link.
    http://s30.photobucket.com/user/manu...?sort=9&page=1

photo 17.jpg

I don't know about New Zealand but it seems you have to do more and more (or learn how to) yourself on old motorcycles in Australia.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Met a dear old lady in Westport back in '08 who told us she and her hubby had one. Apparently the Police bought a fleet of them, but they couldn't catch the contemporary Triumphs so they sold them off cheap. AFAIK she didn't still have it.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
    Garth Johnson from Taradale had one that he fully restored with a sidecar attached.

No sure what happened to it but knowing Garth it's still sitting in his shed.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like wrestling a pig in mud.

After a while you realise the pig is enjoying it.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    Met a dear old lady in Westport back in '08 who told us she and her hubby had one. Apparently the Police bought a fleet of them, but they couldn't catch the contemporary Triumphs so they sold them off cheap. AFAIK she didn't still have it.
    That sounds close. Generally the Transport Dept bought their bikes tax and duty free, used them for a year or two (can't remember exactly but I can ask), and then sold them for exactly what they had paid for them. This was pre GST so there was a lot more tax.

I remember seeing cops on Sunbeams, but rarely, and not for long.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information