Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm all in favor of supporting local (NZ) businesses, if they aren't taking the piss

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650

I'm all in favor of supporting local (NZ) businesses, if they aren't taking the piss

I'm thinking about getting some sort of bluetooth communications set-up, so have been looking around. I'm set on one of the Sena units, but our local NZ retailers must think we're fucking stupid, the way they're pricing this gear.

Here's what we can get from the USA:
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...dset-dual-pack

$284.75 US Dollars
    That's $361.24 NZ dollars.
    Add GST of $54.19
    Total theoretical cost in NZ: $415.43

Here's what they want locally:
    http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/product...headset_a.aspx
    $650 here in NZ. That's 56% more expensive even after taking account of GST and currency conversion.

It wouldn't be so hard to swallow if we were given great service, but I've never had anything but appalling service from Cycletreads online. On the other hand, Revzilla have amazing customer service and are always happy to help.

Sick of NZ retails moaning about being threatened by online sales - get your shit together and stop trying to extract such unreasonable profits from your customers. I can't see myself every buying from a local dealer again for bike gear.

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Know how yer feel...
    I have just ordered $340NZ worth of lathe tooling from overseas...
    Best I could find in NZ was pushing $700 from NZ carbite...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    Eh, just buy from overseas then. No skin off their back.
    I had one product line that I found I could buy from the UK at a lower retail cost than I paid wholesale. How the hell can you not take the 'piss' when you're up against that?

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I like to be a bit balanced when buying bike bits.
    Motorad Wellington can get me a lot of bits for almost the same price. If its only a mater of 10 difference on smaller items that's all good.
    They got my quickshifter and rods for almost the same price as ordering online. Paid for the part when it arrived so zero risks and no chasing customs.
    I think the new customs GST and extra costs for inspections etc has closed gaps a bit price wise.
    They got my Yoshi zx14r pipes cheaper than I could get them.
    Also I know when I want tyres I take my wheel in a leave with a fitted tyre at a good price. Loyalty is a 2 way thing.

Saying that
    I buy most of my caferacer parts on Ebay due to their unusual nature.

Idd like to add I have had some disasters ordering overseas.
    I ordered a left and right disc for my race bike and they sent me the left and refunded me the money for the right saying part discontinued.
    They didn't offer me the updated pair so I was stuck paying freight for 2 sales tax for 2 at their end. Cost me $500 for a disc I couldn't use.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    I like to be a bit balanced when buying bike bits.
    Motorad Wellington can get me a lot of bits for almost the same price. If its only a mater of 10 difference on smaller items that's all good.
    They got my quickshifter and rods for almost the same price as ordering online. Paid for the part when it arrived so zero risks and no chasing customs.
    I think the new customs GST and extra costs for inspections etc has closed gaps a bit price wise.
    They got my Yoshi zx14r pipes cheaper than I could get them.
    Also I know when I want tyres I take my wheel in a leave with a fitted tyre at a good price. Loyalty is a 2 way thing.

Saying that
    I buy most of my caferacer parts on Ebay due to their unusual nature.

Idd like to add I have had some disasters ordering overseas.
    I ordered a left and right disc for my race bike and they sent me the left and refunded me the money for the right saying part discontinued.
    They didn't offer me the updated pair so I was stuck paying freight for 2 sales tax for 2 at their end. Cost me $500 for a disc I couldn't use.
    That is a pretty dick move

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    Sold
    Yep, I bought my SENA SMH 10 set through the US and had them shipped via YouShop, saving about 40% on the NZ price. About 6 months ago, I broke a connector pin on one of the units through my own clumsiness and a replacement body (excludes the mount and mic boom) was only US$112 plus shipping.

I'll support people like Robert Taylor at KSS who add a high value service component but not when a supplier who has the market cornered rorts the system. Sorry, but their business model no longer stands up.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    If it's available or 'gettable' in NZ I will always go chat to Andrew at TSS first....
    I've used them since I moved to Welly in 2006, and as has been said, loyalty is a 2 way st.

Some gear or aftermarket stuff just doesnt make it to these shores, then I'll use fleabay etc.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Mate, that isn't even taking the piss, just a slight leakage around the y-fronts compared to other things. 1m LED strip to my door from aliexpress is less than a dollar (min order 5m, so cheap I got 50m), can't find it for less than 20 per meter here...
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    GSX1300R
    I will buy locally to support the local business if the items are regular stocked items like riding gear, fairing components, chains etc. But I've given up trying to order less common or bike specific parts locally. Local distributors who don't either have stock of the item or don't normally carry the item although it's part of a line they are distributors for are a pain to deal with so I don't try anymore.

Bike
    '77 TS 185 B, '91 BMW R100RT, '75 TS400
    Blog Entries
    I too like to support local business as much as possible, but after chasing two local motorcycle shops for three/four weeks, (nothing special gasket set, oil seals, plugs etc,) I rang a company out of town(still in NZ) on a Wednesday parts arrived on Friday morning... being a fair sort of bugger I give em another chance with some other parts, needless to say I now go straight to the out of town company.
    Loyalty lies with the people that work the hardest for you.

Bike
    06 Kawasaki kle500
    yeah it's bullshit alright, I just paid $90 for a brake lever locally because I needed one now. Then ordered a spare online to my door for $23.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quoted price for a HISS key, chip and cut locally is about the same as three from Poland.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    I just bought a genuine Ohlins conversion kit from alibaba.
    Has official ohlins sticker included and a special spray that mimics the ohlins nitrided stanchion look.
    All for just $19.99 and my front end feels so stable now.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Yeah - looking at headers for my XR6. Cheap in Aussie ................

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Sadly a lot of retailers in NZ are stuck with dealing with a couple of distributors along the way, so the choice is to not sell it or pass on everyone elses markup in the price.

Have had situations where I've found a price overseas and contacted the manufacturer, and been told to buy from the NZ agent for a crapload more, no option as they won't sell direct and cut out their agent.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Thread Information