Thread: Burt Munro Rally, Invercargill 2014

Bike
    XR200

Burt Munro Rally, Invercargill 2014

I couldn't find an up to date thread which is unusual so here goes.

Invercargill is already throbbing to the roll of thunder with bikes everywhere. Its really thrilling to see. The weather forecast isn't great but that's happened before only for people to get sunburned. Strong winds which I hope die down, otherwise the beach racing on Friday is a bit of a challenge. Spectators take their helmets and watch with visors down if the sand kicks up but nobody complains.

Bikers really are a bit different.

The thing that makes the Burt unique is that the Southland community get behind it which is a bit different to the attitudes to bikers elsewhere. People are genuinely interested and while its a small tourism boost, Souhlanders are welcoming without expecting you to spend money. Plus this is a major event down here.

The rally site has a huge marque with a bar, a band and food caravans. Even if it hails nobody notices.

Welcome to all of you who make the journey.

Bike
    2013, Suzuki DL650
    I'm looking forward to it... coming down with the family on Friday. Yes flying down is cheating, but wife and 2 and 5 year old doesn't work on the back of a bike... I'll do it 'properly' another year.

Bike
    my little pony
    We have been in the SI since the magpie, currently in qtown, heading to invers tomorrow. Qtown and Wanaka is infested with bikers. What you have to remember is Kiwibikers vs Keyeboarders (Tm) is a different organisation, hence 1 day out from the burt there is no burt thread.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Please support the TOY RUN on Sunday morning 30th November.

As it is not a racing event the BM do not spend a lot on advertising it.

The proceeds all go to the Sally Army and distributed to needy children for Xmas, toys, gifts, money.

The TOY RUN leaves from across the rally site at 9.30 AM Sunday

so be there beforehand

It rides to the Wyndham race circuit and this year the event will be a good one with the sidecars

Entry is a toy, non perishable food item, or a measly $5.00 donation

You can buy a badge to say you did it for $8.00

Thank You Very Much and have a safe ride and awesome weekend.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston001 View Post
    I couldn't find an up to date thread which is unusual so here goes. Welcome to all of you who make the journey.
    hiya Winston long time no see or hear doc & goblin are heading your way not sure which way they're heading from the Coast, they may call in here on the way past... or via QT etc...
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    '04 GS1200ss, '08 DRZ400SM

There and back again

Returned yesterday from the Burt.
    Left Chch Tuesday last week, initially fine then rain from Geraldine to Dunedin. Dried out overnight. A tad windy around Balclutha but minimal wind from Gore to Invercargill which is unusual!
    Thursday and my mate's bike (Triumph Sprint) wouldn't start so called the AA. Then the starter was kicking in and it still wouldn't start. Managed to get a bike shop to pick it up. Got a demo bike (VFR800X Crossrunner) to get around while waiting for parts.
    Went to the beach racing on Friday. Great event and it didn't rain.
    Saturday, more waiting then got the news that all was fixed on the Triumph so headed out to Manapouri where the friends we were staying with have a crib. Arrived just as the rain started.
    Sunday Te Anau, Queenstown, Crown Range, Wanaka, Haast, Fox Glacier. What tremendous countryside, mountains, lakes and ocean views.
    Monday home via Arthurs.
    Overall a good trip with really only one day wet and the worst wind was managable.
    I have just found out that they have removed the word gullible from the dictionary

Thread Information