Thread: Touring NZ in December 2014 - advice on routes, rallies or meets or?

Bike
    2011 BMW R1200GS. 1992 R100R, 1991 K75

Touring NZ in December 2014 - advice on routes, rallies or meets or?

Hi folks. My wife and I just arrived in Auckland and are planning 3-4 weeks touring both Islands. We left Germany on 1 August 2014 and rode (BMW R1200GS) 2-up all to Malaysia where we shipped the bike (should be in Auckland Friday, 28 Nov and I hope to have it out of customs etc by 1-2 December). We're glad for the cooler weather (and better roads) after experiencing the heat, humidity and mudslides of Laos, Thailand, Cambodia and Malaysia!

I picked up a few tips from some other threads but after searching the threads I don't see a whole lot of info on biker meetups/rallies etc...

Also, walking around Auckland (we're staying in Epsom) I noticed 91 Octane is around 2 NZD a litre - is that pretty standard the rest of NZ? Any petrol brands cheaper than others?

Any other tips on inexpensive biker-friendly lodgings?

Finally, I plan to ship the bike (air or sea depending on quotes) from Christchurch to the USA after NZ. Any recommendations on companies that folks have successfully used?

Thanks for any/all info/tips!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Welcome. I'm jealous

You have an R1200GS. Do not fill with 91 Octane in NZ unless you're happy for the bike to adjust it's performance. We use RON as opposed to MON or PON for octane rating, so you must go for 95 or greater. The bike would like 98 the most (but obviously the most expensive). Cost mostly varies according to area of country (remote regions and upmarket city suburbs have the most expensive gas), and slightly between brands. I avoid Gull as it's an ethanol blend, and despite BMW saying ethanol is fine for bikes... the result of it not being fine is horribly expensive... not worth it imho.

Cheapest price for 91 I've seen today was $1.80 per litre.

In terms of events, try for Whanganui on Boxing Day, it's the Cemetery Circuit street racing: http://cemeterycircuit.co.nz/
    Another option on 2 January: http://www.nelsonportraces.co.nz/
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Enjoy your ride, do be wary of maggots, that is white ( or any coloured) wriggling camper vans, there is also other road users mainly in cars visiting to N.Z at this time of year that have poor driving skills.

The weather conditions can change considerably through a day, ride to the conditions.

http://www.motorcyclerally.co.nz/
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    Can't help with anything else but if you're feeling thirsty for some local beer on your way through Picton as you cross to the South Island flick me a message

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Police are pretty intolerant of speeding (anything over 100k on open roads) If a driver exceeds a permanent posted speed limit by more than 40km/h, there is an automatic 28-day licence suspension. If a driver exceeds a temporary speed limit by more than 50km/h, there is an automatic 28-day licence suspension.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2011 BMW R1200GS. 1992 R100R, 1991 K75
    Thanks - great tips - love the "maggots"! 1.80 per litre? Prices I've seen in Auckland so far are all over 2.00 per litre for 91 so I'll know to fill up if it goes under 2.00. Is Caltex pretty OK as I've seen lots around? Will see if we pass through Picton and have that beer!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coolgreany View Post
    1.80 per litre? Prices I've seen in Auckland so far are all over 2.00 per litre for 91 so I'll know to fill up if it goes under 2.00. Is Caltex pretty OK as I've seen lots around?
    Prices change quite quickly (even within the day). One will have a special and then the game of lemmings is all go. Each area will put prices where they want, ie, the expensive areas or main drags will be more expensive than the poor areas. You might see a line of stations down a road at identical prices, and then around the corner it's 5c cheaper... Ultimately, fill when you need to... cheaper than pushing

I use Caltex most of the time, will be fine. BP and Caltex belong to a system called AA Smartfuel (run by AA), where even non-members can grab a card. If you can fill up with at least $40, you'll get 4-6c off per litre (up to 50 litres). Shopping at supermarkets like Countdown and New World? will also give you dockets to get cheaper gas. Cheapest is probably Pak n Save, both for groceries and gas price.

Have a look through the rest of Coming and Going area, lots of threads of people asking for route advice, this will be a good starting point for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by coolgreany View Post
    Is Caltex pretty OK as I've seen lots around? Will see if we pass through Picton and have that beer!
    Caltex is my second choice if a BP is not close by. BP seems to be the only ones that have 98RON which is in the ball park of 91MON which is the recommended octane rating for my bike.

Thread Information