Thread: 2006 zx6r vs 2006 r6

Bike
    RM250, YZ250(295)

2006 zx6r vs 2006 r6

Have been looking at getting a 600 for a while, have narrowed my options to a zx6r or r6. I have taken my mates zx6r(636) for a few good rides and really like the feel of it and how it handles, but I prefer the looks and styling of the r6 and also have taken one for a test ride and liked the way it performed also. Has anybody owned both and got anything to say about them? Im looking at spending around the 7-8k mark and they both seem to be similarly priced

Bike
    NC30s
    Quote Originally Posted by nzpoontang View Post
    Have been looking at getting a 600 for a while, have narrowed my options to a zx6r or r6. I have taken my mates zx6r(636) for a few good rides and really like the feel of it and how it handles, but I prefer the looks and styling of the r6 and also have taken one for a test ride and liked the way it performed also. Has anybody owned both and got anything to say about them? Im looking at spending around the 7-8k mark and they both seem to be similarly priced
    R6 makes it's power higher up in the rev range, it's flat in low to mid, the peaky power delivery makes it more track oriented. The 636 has much smoother power delivery (more torque down low) which makes it more usable for road riding. The 636 has a more comfortable seating position, with the handlebars set further back. R6 has a more aggressive position with more weight on arms and wrists.

I'd go for the 636 (in fact I did, had an 05 ZX6 before I got the NC30!)
    When buying one try and make sure all the big services have been done, doing valve clearances on these is a big fucking job. Common problems include cam chain tensioner going, but it's an easy fix. Also some had a problem with 2nd gear going kaput, worn dogs IIRC.

Bike
    RM250, YZ250(295)
    I'd go for the 636 (in fact I did, had an 05 ZX6 before I got the NC30!)
    When buying one try and make sure all the big services have been done, doing valve clearances on these is a big fucking job. Common problems include cam chain tensioner going, but it's an easy fix. Also some had a problem with 2nd gear going kaput, worn dogs IIRC.[/QUOTE]

What is the recommended kms to have the valve clearance checked on a 636? Any other common faults to look out for?

Bike
    S1000RR
    What is the recommended kms to have the valve clearance checked on a 636? Any other common faults to look out for?
    Recommended km for valve clearance check was 24,000km interval for my 07 ZX10R. Should be the same for ZX6R.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    NC30s
    Off the top of my head, it was 24k and 48k. The exhaust valve servo shits itself after awhile, and if an aftermarket exhaust has been installed without the servo being removed properly it's going to be throwing error codes. This was the case with mine, but it's easy to wire up a bypass to trick the ECU, a few resistors and a capacitor, cost about $5 all up.

When checking out the bike you should see what the error code history is: http://zx6r.com/guides/12417-how-pull-fi-codes.html
    Be aware that these codes can be cleared from the memory.

I can't really think of any other common faults, the gearbox problem is the only big one to look out for. They're an awesome bike.

Bike
    2004ZX6R
    I have a 04, 636, also have a 05 r6, much prefer the 636 better bike all round imho

Bike
    RM250, YZ250(295)
    Quote Originally Posted by WNJ View Post
    I have a 04, 636, also have a 05 r6, much prefer the 636 better bike all round imho
    Cool man good to know. Ok to throw another spanner in the works what have people got to say about a Daytona 675 over a zx636??

Bike
    Blade '12
    Cool man good to know. Ok to throw another spanner in the works what have people got to say about a Daytona 675 over a zx636??
    The 636 is a better bike than the R6 and the 675 is better than both of them.

Bike
    Gone
    I found 600cc bikes very fatiguing on long trips. Feels like I have to thrash the tits off it and work the gearbox more than a thai hooker on Friday night to keep it moving.

Bike
    NC30s
    Quote Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
    I found 600cc bikes very fatiguing on long trips. Feels like I have to thrash the tits off it and work the gearbox more than a thai hooker on Friday night to keep it moving.
    Seriously? You find a 600 super sport lacking in power on the road?
    Slow down mate :P

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinz0r View Post
    They're fast when you feel like changing gear a lot.

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    Depends what you're used too, compared to a thou they are.
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Bike
    Gone
    I don't find them lacking in power, I just find them tiring to ride. Just like a trip from Auckland to Wellington is fatiguing in a Nissan March but not so bad in a 350Z because it has a shit ton of torque and you don't have to beat the shit out of it to get it to overtake or even cruise comforably. All the 600cc bracket bikes are highly strung engines with hilariously tiny power bands, which means lots of gear changes to keep the engine in its sweet spot to get good power out of them.

If you've never ridden anything bigger it'll feel like the bees knees, but try riding a 1000 for a year and coming back to it.

Your 400 probably has no issue keeping up with 600s and even 1000s, but it would be a very involved ride. Fine if you're into that sort of thing I guess.

Bike
    NC30s
    Quote Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
    I don't find them lacking in power, I just find them tiring to ride. Just like a trip from Auckland to Wellington is fatiguing in a Nissan March but not so bad in a 350Z because it has a shit ton of torque and you don't have to beat the shit out of it to get it to overtake or even cruise comforably. All the 600cc bracket bikes are highly strung engines with hilariously tiny power bands, which means lots of gear changes to keep the engine in its sweet spot to get good power out of them.

If you've never ridden anything bigger it'll feel like the bees knees, but try riding a 1000 for a year and coming back to it.

Your 400 probably has no issue keeping up with 600s and even 1000s, but it would be a very involved ride. Fine if you're into that sort of thing I guess.
    Ah yep I see what ya mean, I thought you were meaning the ZX6 was lacking in available power, rather than comfortably accessible available power.
    I did find my old Bandit 1200 a lot more relaxing to ride than the ZX6, 5 speed transmission + plenty of torque made for plenty of power on hand in any gear. In saying that, touring on the ZX6 wasn't so bad, but for longer trips there are better bikes!

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    I have 06 636 and love it.
    Only common complaints about them is 2nd gear going and the brakes are pretty rubbish.

Thread Information