Page 19 of 214 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    The Junkers Jumo 205 was a an extremely successful opposed piston diesel.
    Napier license-built their own version of the Jumo 204 pre-WWII and I suspect the Deltic gained a significant amount of data from that programme.
    Apparently there was one of those engines used here in Auckland in a boat which sank and an old guy who knew about it all swears (well, swore) that it is still buried in the mud of the Tamaki Estuary where it sank, ie. just South of the Pakuranga Bridge. Also I saw an article in one of the newspapers describing the fuel injection system of this engine which had been patented originally by a Kiwi guy.

I can't verify all this of course - but I did read about it maybe 25 years ago. I guess it could possibly jog the memory of someone who might know more

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    FLETCHER TWO-STROKE
    The unusual components showing the cylinder head and static "piston",
    the mobile ported sleeve and the cylinder barrel proper.
    Very interesting idea having a steel piston - 25mph from a 50cc cyclemotor is pretty good.
    My very first motorcycle was a 50cc cyclemotor, the best I could get out of it was 16 mph but it had quite a lot of torque. It was called the 'Trojan Minimotor'.(it was a British built version of an Italian motor called the 'Mini Motore' and produced under licence by Trojan).

BTW I've still got one in my garage somewhere, CI barrel, deflector piston and all!

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Very interesting idea having a steel piston and 25mph from a 50cc cyclemotor. My very first motorcycle was a 50cc cyclemotor, but the best I could get out of it was 16 mph but it had quite a lot of torque. It was called the 'Trojan Minimotor'.(a British built Italian motor built under licence and called the 'Mini Motore').

Still got one in my garage somewhere, CI barrel, deflector piston and all!
    Pretty sure Yowling has one similar fined exhaust casting. Very itailian looking (designed by Vincent Paitti)

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Seeing as F4 is way too fast , F5 is dominated by the 50cc zealots from Wellington, if i have any chance of ever winning a title I will need to create my own class F6

49cc single speed pre 1960 that should narrow the field a bit

Heres my entry, after reading in depth about small frontal area , light weight skinny tyres I have arrived at this formula

Attachment 275248 Attachment 275249 Attachment 275250 Attachment 275251

maybe some of the senior bucket guys like speedpro can shed some of their wisdom as he can probably remember them when they were new
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Pretty sure Yowling has one similar fined exhaust casting. Very itailian looking (designed by Vincent Paitti)
    Well I'll be fu****, I mean 'how extraordinary' ! - that's the one! Mine is the engine only and I suspect that it might have been used on a lawnmower or something (they were used for allsorts I believe) - my original one was complete though.
    This one I found in a pile of Villiers 8E engine stuff I bought, but there wasn't any sign of bike stuff with it.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    A 3 hp max for that formula 6 would be good, I can cast special light alloy competition barrels for them too (light weight helps with acceleration), the possibilities here are endless!

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    I know some of you blokes like plane stuff, so have a look at these Russkie fighters.
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=77e_1389637750
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Apparently there was one of those engines used here in Auckland in a boat which sank and an old guy who knew about it all swears (well, swore) that it is still buried in the mud of the Tamaki Estuary where it sank, ie. just South of the Pakuranga Bridge. Also I saw an article in one of the newspapers describing the fuel injection system of this engine which had been patented originally by a Kiwi guy.

I can't verify all this of course - but I did read about it maybe 25 years ago. I guess it could possibly jog the memory of someone who might know more
    I wonder if it was associated with an old motor torpedo boat that lived up that way in the late 60's...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    I wonder if it was associated with an old motor torpedo boat that lived up that way in the late 60's...
    Ocean
    Thinking back, I believe that it could have been something like that, but I can't remember - the NZ Herald may have printed that article (prob 20 -25 years ago).

Ken, fantastic video! Those planes seem to have been flying (flying?) in a stalled condition most of the time, relying on the sheer power of the engines to propel them out of it!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Talking about oddball engines, what about this outrageous steamer? - Mike T?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black Pearl.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	174.9 KB 
ID:	314596

Bike
    none
    I love the bell .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    I love the bell .
    Frits,
    Think that machine might have been made by a guy from the Netherlands (anyway it's on Gizmag).

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    I had stopped looking at the ESE thread for a couple or three months (using up too much of my precious time) ie trying to figure out stuff which although it is very interesting, isn't really worthwhile for me to try!
    However, I did have a look last night and found that the Ryger engine (which I didn't really know about) is all the rage - probably because it's all so "hush hush" and everybody is trying to solve the mystery! - something else to distract me from my foundry I guess.

Maybe I should call in at ESE in another 3 months or so and find the mystery solved, without trying to solve it for myself!

Bet it still won't break down the brick wall of our "superior" 4 stroke brethern, no matter how much better it is, - they'll just substitute with more cubes, weight and cost! and everyone will believe (or else).They'll justify it all by quoting saving the planet from pollution - or maybe protecting the public from the possible shrapnel from 30,000rpm missiles careering around the streets no doubt they'll find something trivial to cover up their inadequacy!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    This could definitely be described as 'oddball' but you've got to hand it to this Swedish? kid, for ingenuity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6n0op0sLPA

Trying to encourage the use of this controversy free, light hearted thread (ie, while Husa is away sorting out a few guys on the ESE thread).
    It should be for those who want a rest from the never ending saga of the quest for perfection of the the two stroke engine there.
    This thread does make a refreshing change and a refuge for the worn out brains at ESE. I reckon - Eh Frits!

Bike
    none
    I love it. But did he really change gear at 1:05? How??

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    I love it. But did he really change gear at 1:05? How??
    I reckon that up till then, he was accelerating and was getting wheelspin on the "dog collar" running on the tyre and he just pulled the engine down a little more snugly - well, that's one theory!

BTW what would be your estimate on revs - 30,000 ?

Thread Information