Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for fighting an Infringement Notice - for not putting my foot down?

Bike
    Kate
    Video of feet up stopping, copy of BHS requirements and have fun wasting the popos day in court.
    At most stop signs most riders wouldn't be able to concentrate on checking the road enough and balancing the stationary bike so I wouldn't recommend it as a practice but you do technically have a case and I, like the law is meant to, will give you the benefit of the doubt according to your description.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    V Rod
    Playing devils advocate here, can I just drop my foot to the ground whilst still rolling and call it "Stopped". Officer says foot needs to be on the ground... Might be a salient point to bring up in your defence.

(and yes I know it wouldn't be acceptable)
    There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    I can stop for hours without putting my feet down. Then again, I ride a sidecar
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Better than a video. Address the judge in your opening statement that the law specifically requires you to stop "in a position and for a time that enables the driver to ascertain whether the line is clear; and remain stationary until the way is clear to proceed." That the Policeman advised that you didn't put your foot down when you stopped, therefore you were advised by him that you had indeed stopped. And that your bike is down in the carpark and you are prepared to demonstrate how a motorcyclist can indeed stop yet not have to put their foot on the ground. Then ask for the charge to be dismissed.

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    ....And that your bike is down in the carpark and you are prepared to demonstrate how a motorcyclist can indeed stop yet not have to put their foot on the ground. Then ask for the charge to be dismissed.
    Better still ask to demonstrate feet up balancing on your bike in the court room!

Then do some skids
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Better still ask to demonstrate feet up balancing on your bike in the court room!

Then do some skids
    Tempted
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    your bike in the court room

Then do some skids
    do it faggot

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Where would the line get drawn? A quick "stomp" on the ground as you move slowly??
    I'd call it a dab, and I would be barely moving. The dab though would be purely for the benefit of any, as yet unseen, tax collector in the vicinity. Hopefully thus avoiding the situation in which you find yourself.

As has been pointed out there are people can sit on an immobile bike for some time without putting a foot down. Should you be one such you could invite the assembled gathering outside the court to witness you perform. In the event that you can't perform this feat convincingly, you should probably just pay up and write it off to experience.

People seem to be driving themselves under trains with a certain frequency so it shouldn't be a surprise that the are vigilant around crossings.

On the other hand the former MoT officers were much tougher on all forms of compulsory stop than are the current enforcers of the law. Failing to stop is probably not as good an earner as issuing speeding tickets
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    Video of feet up stopping, copy of BHS requirements and have fun wasting the popos day in court.
    Just sayin.

If the Popo spends a day in court he's paid to be there. It'll be the taxpayers time that's wasted, not the Popos.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    The question that will probably be asked is, 'If you were balancing the bike without having to put at least one foot down, then how can you say you spent the required time looking along the rail tracks, in both directions, to determine there was no risk.?'
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    98 Bandit 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    ...... there are people can sit on an immobile bike for some time without putting a foot down. Should you be one such you could invite the assembled gathering outside the court to witness you perform. In the event that you can't perform this feat convincingly, you should probably just pay up and write it off to experience.
    Been riding for 35 plus years - and the bandit is an easy bike to balance - not a problem demonstrating
    Live long and prosper ……………… or ride a motorbike

Bike
    98 Bandit 1200

Wtf

Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    The question that will probably be asked is, 'If you were balancing the bike without having to put at least one foot down, then how can you say you spent the required time looking along the rail tracks, in both directions, to determine there was no risk.?'
    Why would you think that would be hard ??? just got to turn your head?
    Live long and prosper ……………… or ride a motorbike

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Coming to a complete stop without putting your feet down is no issue, after 2 seconds it may become one, but it can be done.

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Then there is the scenario (I have done it) of stopping - the bike rolls backwards a tad, then moving off forward again. You are actually stopped twice! Try telling that to some of the clowns in uniform! Totally beyond them!
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Just sayin.

If the Popo spends a day in court he's paid to be there. It'll be the taxpayers time that's wasted, not the Popos.
    who's budget? what would you rather be doing? given the attitude suggested this one would rather be hassling people. But yes what you state is why most people just pay up rather than challenge
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Thread Information