Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed - what slows you down?

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    You're not the only one thinking like that.

Straight road 150km/h is a lot safer than trying to keep up to the speed limit on a twisty 100km/h road.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Straight line speed is easy, anyone can do it. Fastest riders i have ridden with a smooth and consistant, never at licence loss speed, but not slowing down in the windy stuff.

what slows me down? Risk vs reward, can be the risk of imminent danger, the risk of demerits or other risk that out weighs any benefit i get from what im doing.

Bike
    '94 YZF750R - RESTO TIME!
    One of the reasons why the 40km/h limit is set, is to cater for scenarios where people may not have seen a speed limit sign, ie a 80 zone dropping to a 50 zone. If it was any less you'd see people losing their licences, or being forced to go through court processes for situations that simple don't warrant them like a ticket for speeding where the view of a speed sign was blocked by a passing truck, or vegetation.
    ---Cut Here---
    '94 YZF750R - I love the smell of new tyre in the morning...
    EXUP Brotherhood

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Ah - it's good logic is mine. 50 zones are residential as a rule so highly likely cars will pull out of drives, kids run after balls etc etc. Slower is better.
    Of course there are no driveways in rural areas are there and they'll never be a milk tanker pulling out of the driveway when your coming past at 140 will there... Livestock wandering in long grass and goats are lot more prolific and unpredictable than kids chasing a ball...
    There many rural roads that are no longer fun on the bike due to so many lifestyle blocks going in, too many driveways... Of course on your 140k thrash you'd prob not notice until too late...
    Thanks for sharing your logic and you could prob debate it quite well but if you don't accept the high risk you wont be planning for it either...
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterbishi View Post
    One of the reasons why the 40km/h limit is set, is to cater for scenarios where people may not have seen a speed limit sign, ie a 80 zone dropping to a 50 zone. If it was any less you'd see people losing their licences, or being forced to go through court processes for situations that simple don't warrant them like a ticket for speeding where the view of a speed sign was blocked by a passing truck, or vegetation.
    I doubt it.... could already do the same at many road works.... or school buses in rural areas...
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    What slows me down?

Punctures, small children, Cows in the middle of the road, lack of Petrol, Newtonian Physics
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    What slows me down?

Punctures, small children, Cows in the middle of the road, lack of Petrol, Newtonian Physics
    You forgot drag and pedants
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bluninja View Post
    You forgot drag and pedants
    You ride in drag?

Merry Christmas
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    You ride in drag?

Merry Christmas
    Sometimes I'm in drag in jeans Bah Humbug !
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    Gone
    The speed limit is designed to account for all skill levels and all machine types.

Hypothetically, passing a line of cars on double yellows on a modern 1000 quickly going from 120 to 220 isn't going to result in immediate death (provided visibility is not an issue).

Attempting the same in a Yaris with bicycle tyres and shit brakes and virtually no power to even be able to overtake on proper passing lanes would be another story altogheter.

Basically the road rules are in place to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Only way to improve the situation would be better rider/driver training and perhaps improving arterial roads (think autobahn) and very strict vehicle inspections, but that is very unlikely.

Bike
    aprilia Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Hypothetically:

...lots of stuff
    Well said!
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen" Douglas Adams (1952-2001) - not riding a TUONO then!

Bike
    aprilia Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    Hasn't the limit been reduced to 30 over?
    nope.

40km/h over a permanent speed limit, 50km/h over a temporary
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen" Douglas Adams (1952-2001) - not riding a TUONO then!

Bike
    2014 Suzuki GW250 "Inazuma"
    So topics like this make me wonder...

Am I the only one who actually enjoys sticking to the speed limit (or even slightly under) for a nice scenic ride?

I had 2 bikes and 4 cars all getting whingey with me the other day for riding at 100 down the motorway. Yes, I'm going to stick to the speed limit and yes, im going to ride that limit in the right hand lane. Because that way I don't have to watch so many directions at once for crazy people trying to cut me off.

Bike
    Mine
    have also been pulled over for 62 kph in a 50kph zone. Was by a school and I think that a ticket was absolutely warranted
    This is just a pure case of double standards.

Case in point - The road past Harrisville school in Tuakau has a 70kph speed limit and no reduction at any time of the day..

I do not think that reduced speed tolerances are at all the answer. Increased driver education and training is. I recently got back from an overseas trip travelling around 4000kms. This was some open road driving, some highway/motorway and a mix of other stuff. The open road limit was 120kph but mostly the traffic flowed at 140-190kph.
    I was travelling at 170kph in northern Italy overtaking cars doing about 150. Next thing I know there's a Merc on my tail flashing light and sounding horn. When I pulled in he was out of sight (straight road) in a couple of seconds.

Because drivers had a level of courtesy,
    Exactly. A lack of courtesy is the route of all the problems we have on our roads (at least when it involves more than one vehicle). Solve that and the road toll will plummet. No matter the speeds involved.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Thread Information