Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha MT-07?

Bike
    1992 Suzuki Bandit GSF250
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Again, bollocks. I was interested in an MT-07 following reading the road tests in overseas magazines. This is not the MT-07 I read about and I'm not interested. Simple.
    So you read about a bike, found out the bike you were interested in wasn't the same bike you read about, so wrote it off instead of actually taking it out for a test ride? I fail to see the logic here ...

Longest story in the world short: Go and take one for a ride. See for yourself what it's like. People have different perceptions and expectations of power (depending on many factors). You should know what you want, and if the MT-07 feels right then it probably is. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the bike, so if you like what you see/feel/experience, then you will like the bike. Easy as that.

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by frisken View Post
    So you read about a bike, found out the bike you were interested in wasn't the same bike you read about, so wrote it off instead of actually taking it out for a test ride? I fail to see the logic here ....
    I usually narrow down the perspective bikes before test riding. Can't take every bike out before I make my decision. Like pritch
    after doing a little research & looking at the specs if ithe bike don't interest me I move on.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheepLogic View Post
    I usually narrow down the perspective bikes before test riding. Can't take every bike out before I make my decision. Like pritch
    after doing a little research & looking at the specs if ithe bike don't interest me I move on.
    Thank you - a good explanation. I have explained the logic elsewhere on KB so I won't repeat myself (on this occasion anyway). I have a basic, if somewhat nebulous, specification in mind and in part it does involve a minimum horsepower figure below which I have no wish to go. The full power MT-07 exceeds that figure - just. The smaller LAMS version falls way short. Simple.

I don't need to ride a 250 to know I don't want one of them either. Maybe when I'm 80?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
    All this talk about the MT07 not producing any power & de-restricting the bike YET No One here has actually ridden one except ME, as far as LAMs approved bikes go this thing is great, most learners who actually buy one & ride it wont need to have more power for a long time. Its big enough & has enough power / torque to tour easily - definitely has more roll on power than any of the current 4 cylinder 600s incl any of the supersport 600s that need to be revved to make them go. I think everyone is talking crap about wanting more power unless you are a straight line cowboy remember this bike is meant to be a LAMs bike, if you want more power go buy something FULL POWER
    And unless you have actually ridden the bike I don't see how any of you can make a statement on what any bike needs
    You've utterly missed the point. I'm not asking for more power. I don't want to buy a deliberately crippled version of a what is shaping up to be the closest thing to a modern LC, made specifically to comply with LAMS regs in NZ and Australia because I don't want to. I'm not interested in it purely from an ego perspective, which if everyone was honest, is where 90% of the decision about what bike to buy comes from. Therefore I'm not even vaguely interested in entertaining the thought of riding one. I also think it's just a cynical marketing ploy designed to move MT07 buyers "up" the capacity chain ASAP. Much the same as the LAMS Street Cripple.

The bike purchase prior to my last was one made entirely devoid of ego and completely done from the head. How to combine the power of a 600cc sportsbike and the utility of a CB400F. It was the biggest mistake I ever made. I was stuck with that Z750 for years and despite hurling money at suspension and brakes the only thing that had character was the engine. It was let down by finish, assembly quality, suspension quality (fixed) brake feel (partially fixed) and comfort. Seat like a plank, standard suspension made of under damped rocks. Then after reading the press one found out it was a good learner's bike or girl's bike. Despite being hugely popular in France, the rest of the world went , "Meh", and said, "Good Girl's Bike bro".

So never again. A bike is a passion purchase. It's meant to make you feel good and impress your mates. Or at least give them something to talk about without sniggering. If it does that for a learner, that's great.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    1992 Suzuki Bandit GSF250
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    So never again. A bike is a passion purchase. It's meant to make you feel good and impress your mates. Or at least give them something to talk about without sniggering. If it does that for a learner, that's great.
    I don't mean to judge. But fuck me we have different reasons for buying a bike ... I like to enjoy riding mine!

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I don't mean to judge. But fuck me we have different reasons for buying a bike ... I like to enjoy riding mine!
    That's certainly part of the equation. But you have to like it to enjoy riding it. There is nothing worse than buying something and then loathing it and not being in a position to sell it because no one else wants to buy it (like a Z750 for instance) or you can't fund the cavernous gulf between trade in and what you actually want. That sucks a great deal of enjoyment out of a owning and riding a bike.

Also, I don't think you're being even 10% honest with yourself if you don't think you're riding a bike because it will get you laid and make you look cool. It does neither, but it's important that it makes you FEEL that way.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    There are two reasons people buy something: the reason they tell you, and the real reason. James is being honest.

In twenty first century New Zealand nobody needs a motorbike. We buy them because we want one, and we make our choice according to a whole range of emotional and practical criteria. Not hard to envisage when you look at extremes like a Ducati Panigale and a Harley Fat Bob. The respective purchasers of those two models would be looking for very different things in a motorcycle. Just as James, blacksheeplogic and I are looking for something different to what you are looking for and to each other.

May you continue to enjoy riding your bike, but it isn't valid to assume that others don't.

You aren't related to Cassina by any chance?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    James Deuce it's extremely refreshing to see someone being so honest about why we ride and why we buy the bikes we buy. You are, of course, 100% correct.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Also, I don't think you're being even 10% honest with yourself if you don't think you're riding a bike because it will get you laid and make you look cool. It does neither, but it's important that it makes you FEEL that way.
    Didnt work did it James??

That is the biggest lot of truth & bollox I can think of, probably accurate in many cases, and those SHOULD'NT be let near a friggin motorcycle. Buy a bike to look cool and get laid? I've NEVER bought a bike for that reason, even when a sprog; becuase they were fast, yes, because I liked the look, yes, even because in the case of the H1 they were fast and owning one was almost a 'oooooo he has a H1, and still alive'. I've never bought a fucking bike to 'get laid'.... So I aint being 10% honest??
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    So I aint being 10% honest??
    Correct, you just THINK that you're above all that.

Oh, and it doesn't work. In the end all you're left with is enjoying the ride, but if you don't enjoy the ride it just makes you English or grumpy.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Graywolf I think you're deliberately misunderstanding what James is saying. No one here rides because it makes them look cool or because it gets them laid - we all ride for the love of it. But to say the cool factor doesn't factor into why we chose the particular bikes we buy - I agree with James, you're not being honest with yourself.

Bike
    GSX1300R
    In the end all you're left with is enjoying the ride, but if you don't enjoy the ride it just makes you English or grumpy.
    It's why I have two bikes. I need the UZ125 for a daily 10K commute. I want a bike to ride & enjoy (that's currently my busa).

Bike
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
    My Daytona 675 has only ever been about the ride, simple. Do I care whether other people think it's cool or not? Nope. A few guys who I occasionally ride with (zx10r, blade, and cbr600rr) do not show these so called Ego's either in their personality or riding style. I just don't accept the assertion that 9/10 riders put cool factor at the top of their list of needs.

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    I bought mine largely cos' JD convinced me. It wasn't because he's cool.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    CB1300
    Image plays a bigger part than most of us would admit.
    I doubt I would have bought any of my bikes had they been pink with tassels.
    Basic sales psych: if the mark can't see themselves in / on it they won't buy it. If they can and they don't like what they see they won't. If they can and like what they see all the specs or requirements in the world won't stop them.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Thread Information