Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha MT-07?

Bike
    2014DRZ400SM

Yamaha MT-07?

Hi there all does any one have one if so what do you all think im just wanting something to replace my drz with something a little better for longer rides and live the look of them
    Cheers

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    If its like a little mt01 it would be a fun ride.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    As commented elsewhere, the MT-07 sold here is LAMS approved. This may indicate that NZ/Aust models have restricted power. BIKE Magazine , UK, voted the MT-07 Bike of the Year 2014, but while theirs looks the same it may not be. Reasearch may be needed?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    OK here's what passes for quick research. The "normal" version is 689cc, 75bhp, 125mph. *

The Yamaha NZ web site says, "The 655cc parallel twin has been purpose built in Japan to suit our learner market requirements. With heaps of instant torque and the same class leading light weight as the much heralded European MT-07, the Kiwi version is designed to appeal to experts and new riders alike."

Yamaha may be a tad optimistic, their low power NZ version certainly doesn't appeal to me, so it is crossed off my list. A pity.

* OK checked a print copy of BIKE, the 75bhp figure is "claimed", the 125mph is "estimated". Probably no need to worry about either of those with our special-for-you-Kiwi-low-power LAMS compliant version sadly.
    Last edited by pritch; 12th January 2015 at 12:30. Reason: Further info
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    DRZ is great on long rides, just stand on the pegs for a few mins and wait for your butt to reset

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Yamaha may be a tad optimistic, their low power NZ version certainly doesn't appeal to me, so it is crossed off my list. A pity.
    Honda did the same thing with the CBR650F. It was a pity because I was quite interested in picking one up since the old CBR600Fi's don't come up for sale.

Bike
    2009 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    LOL the tank range is thankfully miniscule - however, unfortunately it's still slightly longer than my arse range. What the DRZ-SM requires is fuckloads more CCs so you get where you're going faster, in less time, therefore with less numb bum.
    I may look calm, but in my head, I've killed you three times already.

Bike
    1990 Yamaha FZR750, 1984 Honda CB250RS

Yamaha MT-07?

I asked at my Yamaha dealer (Trevor Pierce Motorcycles) about the power restriction, they said that there is a restriction in the throttle that can be removed for "full" ( ie LAMS plus) horsepower. However, if its a different engine to what is being sold elsewhere in the world then the suspicion would be that they have castrated it to make it learner-friendly. Damn, I quite liked the look of it up to now. I wonder if it is possible to import a fully-powered one from the US or the like?

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulusgnome View Post
    I asked at my Yamaha dealer (Trevor Pierce Motorcycles) about the power restriction, they said that there is a restriction in the throttle that can be removed for "full" ( ie LAMS plus) horsepower. However, if its a different engine to what is being sold elsewhere in the world then the suspicion would be that they have castrated it to make it learner-friendly. Damn, I quite liked the look of it up to now. I wonder if it is possible to import a fully-powered one from the US or the like?
    From what I've read, the lam's version has been specifically done to retain the torque and 'feel' of the 'full power' 700cc version. Doesnt sound like it's castrated....
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    From what I've read, the lam's version has been specifically done to retain the torque and 'feel' of the 'full power' 700cc version. Doesnt sound like it's castrated....
    Needs a side-by-side comparison. I sincerely doubt that a smaller capacity engine would have the same torque figures, because Physics. I would suggest that a lot of work has gone into mimicking the torque curve of the larger capacity bike. I was mildly interesting in one of these because it looked like value for money, but because I'm old, crusty, and bigoted, I don't feel that wasting money on a knobbled-learner-Girl's-bike feels like value. As much as that label is rooted in misogyny, it's a subtly subconscious effect, because most of us buy a bike because of how it makes us look and feel, as well as all the other benefits.

All my mates (the 3 or so of them left) would look at me more oddly if I bought a LAMS MT-07 rather than a non-LAMS Hyosung GT650. Actually, they probably wouldn't, but that's what I think, in my strictly Cartesian sceptic's perception. My experience is the only thing that is important, and a LAMS MT-07 would be a disquieting purchase.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Buell XB12X Ulysses
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulusgnome View Post
    I seriously hope that LAMS restrictions are a little more advanced than a bit of plastic to stop full throttle rotation. Wouldn't take much to circumvent. i thought the rectrictions needed to be in the ECU, throttle bodies etc.
    "Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed..."
    - Page 14 of the Buell Owners Manual

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Krayy View Post
    I seriously hope that LAMS restrictions are a little more advanced than a bit of plastic to stop full throttle rotation. Wouldn't take much to circumvent. i thought the rectrictions needed to be in the ECU, throttle bodies etc.
    It actually has a different cc rating to the full noise one sold overseas. You can't "Un-LAMS" it without an engine swap.

MT-07 LAMS: 38.8kW and 655cc
    MT-07: 55kW and 689cc
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    2014DRZ400SM
    I talked to yamaha and it just has a larger throttle stop so it only givs u half so they said to make it non lams the just grind down the throttle stop :-)

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cfxjason View Post
    I talked to yamaha and it just has a larger throttle stop so it only givs u half so they said to make it non lams the just grind down the throttle stop :-)
    Nope. You've been given duff information there. It's not just a throttle stop.

Bike
    Big Orange KTM
    Went for a ride on an Aussie LAM's approved MT07 and came away fairly impressed with the power, for a learner bike it has a lot of go certainly more than any Hyosung GT650 I have ridden ( restricted & full power), nicer ride than the hyo's as well. They are one of the biggest selling road bikes in Aussie at the moment
    If you're not living on the edge you're not leaning over far enough

Thread Information