Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha MT-07?

Bike
    2008 FZ1-N
    I have got a Demo MT-07 at Motorcycle Central Yamaha in Barrys Point Road, Takapuna if anyone wants to ride it and make your own mind up instead of reading all of the crap on here.

In the three months that they have been out I have sold 20 of them so they can't be that bad!!!
    RIP Phil (Pinky) SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I never said they were "bad".

Not once.

I said I'm not interested in the LAMS version.

So when are we going to get a Yamaha dealer in the Wellington region who stocks road bikes so I CAN take one for a ride?
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by "D" FZ1 View Post
    I have got a Demo MT-07 at Motorcycle Central Yamaha in Barrys Point Road, Takapuna if anyone wants to ride it and make your own mind up instead of reading all of the crap on here.

In the three months that they have been out I have sold 20 of them so they can't be that bad!!!
    Perhaps you need to work on your reading and comprehension skills? Nobody has rubbished it, we made the point that it's a shame a nice bike has been crippled to make it learner legal. The Yamaha blurb that says the MT-07 suits learners and experienced riders is overly optimistic. Pity they didn't do what Triumph have done and import both versions. And I have told my local Yamaha dealer that. Whoever thought I'd have ever been singing the praises of the Triumph importer?

Does your boss know you insult potential customers?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by "D" FZ1 View Post

I'd be happy enough to take one for a ride and do a review. If you want a review from an experienced and over sized rider?

I couldn't buy one but I do think they have great potential. On paper they look like they could go either way.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    CB1300
    It would be an honest review. Warts and all.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Perhaps you need to work on your reading and comprehension skills? Nobody has rubbished it, we made the point that it's a shame a nice bike has been crippled to make it learner legal. The Yamaha blurb that says the MT-07 suits learners and experienced riders is overly optimistic. Pity they didn't do what Triumph have done and import both versions. And I have told my local Yamaha dealer that. Whoever thought I'd have ever been singing the praises of the Triumph importer?

Does your boss know you insult potential customers?
    I think the point that has also been made, is, that if as Yamaha state, the torque figures are the same a the 'full size' MT-07, it isnt going to be 'crippled'.. Just like some here who tested the MT-01 it gt 'bagged' (for running out of rev's, being breathless, oh and vibrites like a bastard, was one comment.... yup, throbbing is 'designed in', runs out of revs? yup, redline of 5.5k rpm)... tested by crotchrocket riders, with no idea how to ride a high torque, low HP bike. So my guess is the MT-07 (lams) will receive a similar 'fate'... high torque will give it good overtaking at normal road speeds, just likely the top speed will be lower than the full chat MT-07.... you dont NEED 'full chat' 600cc multi cylinder bikes as a learner.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=GrayWolf;1130821592] Just like some here who tested the MT-01 it gt 'bagged' (for running out of rev's, being breathless, oh and vibrites like a bastard, was one comment.... yup, throbbing is 'designed in', runs out of revs? yup, redline of 5.5k rpm)... tested by crotchrocket riders, with no idea how to ride a high torque, low HP bike. So my guess is the MT-07 (lams) will receive a similar 'fate'... /QUOTE]

Even the magazine road tests have to be studied with a supply of salt handy. Some use former racers as testers. Despite their fevered imaginings most riders will not be riding like the ex racer. BIKE magazine use a variety of riders and roads and I have found their tests to be informative.

My "favourite" test concerned Jim's beloved LC2. The guy jumped on it, set out from England, rode across Europe and back. Among the other details his "test " reported that the tank range was poor and that the bike wasn't very comfortable. I don't know what they paid him for that, but whatever it was it was too much.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Check out the latest Australian road rider mag, they have a decent write up on the LAM's MT07

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    you dont NEED 'full chat' 600cc multi cylinder bikes as a learner.
    And this doesn't NEED to be a learner bike, either.

Is it so hard to understand why some people would like to have access to the full fat version of this bike?

Bike
    2015 Yamaha MT-07
    I have an Mt-07 and it fits my riding capabilities perfectly at present, most probably far to much performance for my ability if I'm honest.

However, i can certainly understand what other posters here are getting at regarding 'Why should i buy it with it being watered down' for them to seriously consider it. Kind of like being told to buy a restricted Racing Kart rather than the 'full blown', because someone said "its all you'll need" "and "goes just as well" etc etc. Crap analogy but you know what i mean ;-)

Even if Yamaha NZ imported the MT-07 5to1 in favour of the LAMs version, over the bigger bore Euro, I'm sure they wouldn't have any problem shifting units and give those that can, want, or to test ride the 'full' MT-07 the option to do so.

Bike
    2009 Triumph Street Triple
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkievan View Post
    I have an Mt-07 and it fits my riding capabilities perfectly at present, most probably far to much performance for my ability if I'm honest.

However, i can certainly understand what other posters here are getting at regarding 'Why should i buy it with it being watered down' for them to seriously consider it. Kind of like being told to buy a restricted Racing Kart rather than the 'full blown', because someone said "its all you'll need" "and "goes just as well" etc etc. Crap analogy but you know what i mean ;-)

Even if Yamaha NZ imported the MT-07 5to1 in favour of the LAMs version, over the bigger bore Euro, I'm sure they wouldn't have any problem shifting units and give those that can, want, or to test ride the 'full' MT-07 the option to do so.
    Good on ya bro!!!
    I've got one too.... Absolutely love the thing... This is my 4th bike and although I'm still on my restricted and I wanted a bike to ride legally and suit me enough to move into my full, it suits me perfect.

Great around town to commute to work, plenty of guts to cruise on the open road and pass without a blink of an eyelid... I come from a Harley family and been for a few rides with them (tagging along at the back) and although they don't tend to speed I've pottered along behind them nicely (only getting bored on the corners as they scrape and carry on lol).

Like I said, this bike checked all my boxes at the time of purchase and will keep me happy for a few years to come.

I guess it come down to what the rider wants the bike for... And for many learners out there... It's a bike which will see us through our learning stages and into our full for a few years. It'll keep us legal and allow us to move onto a bigger bike when ready.

In saying that... The statement on the Yamaha's website about 'being fun for the most experienced rider' isn't all that bad of a lie either... My father and uncle and grandfather had fun when they went for a blast on the MT-07... I wouldn't expect them to sell their Harley's and Honda CBthou's for one though!

Those comments about wanting a full powered MT-07.... Why not try the MT-09????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Been watching a load of online reviews of the bike lately, I like. It's 50kg, approx, lighter than my current bike, same engine layout, same crossplane crank (mine was made in 1998...), has more torque, revs higher and makes the same power. Crikey!
    LAMS is great, that was the design brief, but I want full fat, preferably sit up like the Tracer and an Akrapovic pipe. 19" front wheel would be perfect.
    Yeah, na. Brilliant bike, NZ needs both.
    I'm awaiting a comparison from a Duke 690 owner after a MT 07 test ride in the UK.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    86 Honda CX400
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    I never said they were "bad".

Not once.

I said I'm not interested in the LAMS version.

So when are we going to get a Yamaha dealer in the Wellington region who stocks road bikes so I CAN take one for a ride?
    easy....Big Mac @ Maistone

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Nope. You've been given duff information there. It's not just a throttle stop.
    Yes it is.
    Just a smaller motor that gets no throttle.
    About SV650 pace when you take the stop off
    So, slow as fuck either way
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Well the good news is NZ dealers are now getting the "High Output" version - the full-fat non-neutered bike. At $11,995 it's incredibly good value and I think I'll have to head down to Bayride and have a test ride. Still less powerful than I was hoping for my next bike, but I can't think of anything better in the new market for that price.

Thread Information