Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trx850?

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Trx850?

The Yamaha TRX 850, What are the good and bad points about them? I am changing my mind every day about what I want for my next bike. The TRX is todays craze.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    Yamaha SRX400
    Yamaha's attempt to build a Ducati, complete with trellis frame. Great engine. Suspension would be well behind a modern bike and would need attention and at least $1500 spent on it t bring it up to speed.

lots of bike for the price (there's one on tardme now.)

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Yamaha's attempt to build a Ducati, complete with trellis frame. Great engine. Suspension would be well behind a modern bike and would need attention and at least $1500 spent on it t bring it up to speed.

lots of bike for the price (there's one on tardme now.)
    Concur.
    Sound awesome with decent pipes, loads of aftermarket stuff available, all niggles well & truly known. Can be made to cover the ground exceedingly quickly with a bit of time & money, a bit, not a lot.
    Same motor but different spec to my TDM which just gets it oil changed & basic maintenance. Very owner friendly. Exceedingly sturdy & well detailed bikes from that era. Yamaha really tried to make a statement.
    Have a google at some of the forums and "developed" TRX's.
    MCN's take. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-r...a/trx850/1996/ Check out the owner comments at the bottom.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    It was on the good
    I stumbled across this website one night - http://trx850caferacer.com/gallery/. Then I found this forum which is worth having a look around - http://www.trx850.com/phpBB_forum/ucp.php?mode=login.

I was following a local TRX on TM a few months ago but it never met the reserve which appears to have been a bit high. A few around in dealers but it didn't make sense to pay more than what I would get for my SV for a bike that is ten years older.

And a little boy waits......

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Loved mine. Two points.

1. Dry sump motor. Only check the oil level when it is properly warm. A good one can use up to 100mls of oil per 1000kms.
    2. Despite being carbed it has Throttle Position Sensors. Adjust all the slack out of the dual throttle cables or be prepared for a very choppy ride. The adjusters are located behind the instrument cluster.

The front suspension is very soft in stock format and the "fake" rear Ohlins is massively better than the front end which just highlights the front end's inadequacy. The Brembo Goldline calipers are strong and have good feel IF they are cleaned regularly. The later models got 2 piston Yamaha items which are shit, though many have been converted to Yamaha's Blue Star calipers which bolt on and are as good as the Brembos. The rims are susceptible to dents from potholes and large rocks.

Service every 6000kms. Valve adjustment every 12000km. If you can't get receipts that say that, don't buy it. Just don't.

Bear in mind that it's a Ducati 900SS competitor, not a 916 beater.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    There are 6 listed on tdme, and 1 at Hondahamilton that caught my eye. As most of you have said the service history is important.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    There's a huge lunch box under the rear seat.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    They can make interesting Cafe Racers as well.....hopes photos aren't too big......

“- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    That's a nice one. I've seen some utter abominations.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    James Deuce remember this ride http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-31-July/page2

Crikey that is more than 10 years ago now but your TRX featured well in my photos at the time.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Sure do Merv. There were many memorable rides on that bike.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    There was a local guy had one, he seemed to spend most of his time on the back wheel.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2000 Aprilia RSV Mille,
    I nearly bought one a few years ago until the seller messed around too much.
    Still think I'd like one. Only wish they had a better (modern) front end
    "I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it." -- Erwin Schrodinger talking about quantum mechanics.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by schrodingers cat View Post
    I nearly bought one a few years ago until the seller messed around too much.
    Still think I'd like one. Only wish they had a better (modern) front end
    Easy to fix. 98-01 R1 bolts in. Depends how much you want to spend too.

My dream was a pair of Ohlins RWU forks for $2.5k.

Bike
    Yamaha SRX400
    Quote Originally Posted by schrodingers cat View Post
    Only wish they had a better (modern) front end
    I had a TDM850 (which shares the engine). The front end was rubbish - it was also worn out which didn't help. I got KSS to rebuild it with modern internals and it transformed the bike - great over bumps and steered like it was on rails. A grand well spent.

The 270 degree engine had so much torque I never bothered revving it - rarely had to go beyond 5000rpm to get what I wanted. On a throttle roll-on contest with my mates on V-stroms, the TDM would walk away from them.

Wonderful thing, torque.

Thread Information