Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Middleweight sports bike/tourer?

Bike
    A black one

Middleweight sports bike/tourer?

I'm looking at moving overseas later this year and already thinking about what bike I wanna get.

I'm currently on a supersport but am looking at something a bit more touring oriented without going too extreme. I'm still hoping to do some track time over there if I get the chance.

I've been looking at middleweight sports bikes, namely the Hornet 600, Yamaha Fazer 600/FZ6 (faired, not the naked version), Suzuki SV650, Suzuki Bandit or Kawasaki ERF650 (Ninja 650). I'm looking at bikes this size mainly because I'm hoping to get something fairly fuel effecient and easy-ish on tyres.

So I'm just after a bit of advice as to what people would recommend out of the above. I'm thinking of commuting on it, doing some touring (panniers and all) and the occassional blatt around a track or two.

Chur

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Well if you want luggage for touring, best you check that the bike can take it. Soft throwover panniers are obviously reasonably easy, just make sure you protect the bike. Hard panniers require luggage racks, these would be specific to the bike. Check the likes of Givi to see if they have something available.

You've nailed a lot of the basics in bikes, Honda has a wider middleweight range with some CBR650F (or other weird combination of letters), plus the NC700/750, the SV650 has now been replaced and you don't seem to be considering Euro brands?

You need to take them for test rides to see whether you like them, not what we recommend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Sold
    Street Triple or Street Triple R? Power to weight ratio which matches a lot of the bigger sport oriented bikes and a pretty flat torque curve which means you have about 80% of max torque at not much over 3000 rpm - instant grunt. Handling is superb and the perfect trackday weapon too. I've notched up 60000 km on mine without any significant issues.

It tours well too - I have Ventura luggage and have done lots of touring and it was the most comfortable of all the bikes I've done the Grand Challenge 1000 miles in under 24 hours ride on. The seat does get a bit uncomfortable after 700 km or so but an Airhawk pad (about $150) fixed that completely.

If you want a fully-faired bike, a Daytona 675 is a beauty to ride but I personally wouldn't be able to tour on it...... owwwww...

Bike
    A black one
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Well if you want luggage for touring, best you check that the bike can take it. Soft throwover panniers are obviously reasonably easy, just make sure you protect the bike. Hard panniers require luggage racks, these would be specific to the bike. Check the likes of Givi to see if they have something available.

You've nailed a lot of the basics in bikes, Honda has a wider middleweight range with some CBR650F (or other weird combination of letters), plus the NC700/750, the SV650 has now been replaced and you don't seem to be considering Euro brands?

You need to take them for test rides to see whether you like them, not what we recommend.
    I didn't jot down any Euro brands as I figured they wouldn't be in my budget and I also don't know a lot about any of them. I'm sure things may change once I'm actually over there.

Thanks for the tips - I'll definitely be test riding a couple before coming to a decision. Just trying to get a few ideas as to what bikes are stunners and which ones to steer well clear of.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Street Triple or Street Triple R? Power to weight ratio which matches a lot of the bigger sport oriented bikes and a pretty flat torque curve which means you have about 80% of max torque at not much over 3000 rpm - instant grunt. Handling is superb and the perfect trackday weapon too. I've notched up 60000 km on mine without any significant issues.

It tours well too - I have Ventura luggage and have done lots of touring and it was the most comfortable of all the bikes I've done the Grand Challenge 1000 miles in under 24 hours ride on. The seat does get a bit uncomfortable after 700 km or so but an Airhawk pad (about $150) fixed that completely.

If you want a fully-faired bike, a Daytona 675 is a beauty to ride but I personally wouldn't be able to tour on it...... owwwww...
    Probably both out of my budget. I'm only looking to spend 2,000–3,000 pounds. Not a chance I think I'd consider a Daytona 675, although that bike is great looking. Not suitable for the kind of riding I'm hoping to do.

Some older Triumphs may fit into my budget but I might be worreid about reliability from what I've heard, but I've never ridden anything Triumph.

Bike
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

Middleweight sports bike/tourer?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post

Brilliant bikes these Striple's but my only reservation is their fuel economy might not be the best for touring. On average I get 16km/litre out of my Daytona making the tank range about 260-270km. I'd imagine the Striple isn't too different.

Honda VFR800 worth a look?

Edit: For a soft luggage option have a look at Kriega (www.kriega.com). Brilliant modular system of interchangeable tank and tail bags in 5, 10, 20 and 30 litre sizes. IIRC they do larger sizes too. 2 x 10 and 1 x 20 litre bags strapped together are great for a week or two on the road.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    BMW F800 range is worth a look. Performance isn't bad and luggage options depend on the model but all of them are available with panniers and topbox. The handle very nicely and are super economical.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianW View Post
    Brilliant bikes these Striple's but my only reservation is their fuel economy might not be the best for touring. On average I get 16km/litre out of my Daytona making the tank range about 260-270km. I'd imagine the Striple isn't too different.
    Yep, pretty much spot on. I once got just over 300 km between fills being super-gentle on the throttle when a garage I expected to be open in the middle of the night was actually closed

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Triumph Street TRiple/Street Triple R/Speed Triple

/thread
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    f2dz, I wish I had the guts to go overseas like you....

just a few thoughts

I assume its the UK you are going to, think about the seasons and when you can ride.
    If its London they like Paris, Barcelona, Rome, Berlin all have excellent underground train services and the buses arent bad either. Been to all of these and had a great time (but not via bike - time was limited for me.

Ireland was like a saucer and a real pleasure to travel around, so simple.

I hope you get something reliable, I assume you will have to get insurance etc blah, blah. blah

You have plenty of shops here in Auckland to go and try different bikes to see how they fit.
    If it was upto me it would be something like a Vstrom 650, SV 650, F700, F800 if you really want to travel.
    A friend of mine had a DR650, a KTM 900 adventure and other bikes and fitted extra long range tank - he really did travel like Charlie Boorman and Ewen Macgregor all over europe etc all on his own, he has real balls that man - just ups and rides then stops and finds a job for a few months then off again..

I would seriously consider the weather before you go, it doesnt snow here in akl (well only once in while), hate for you to go and not be able to ride for as long as you think.

good on you for giving it a go

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    I guess you already know of MCN, well-worth having a look as they used bike listings...

Bike
    A black one
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    f2dz, I wish I had the guts to go overseas like you....

just a few thoughts

I assume its the UK you are going to, think about the seasons and when you can ride.
    If its London they like Paris, Barcelona, Rome, Berlin all have excellent underground train services and the buses arent bad either. Been to all of these and had a great time (but not via bike - time was limited for me.

Ireland was like a saucer and a real pleasure to travel around, so simple.

I hope you get something reliable, I assume you will have to get insurance etc blah, blah. blah

You have plenty of shops here in Auckland to go and try different bikes to see how they fit.
    If it was upto me it would be something like a Vstrom 650, SV 650, F700, F800 if you really want to travel.
    A friend of mine had a DR650, a KTM 900 adventure and other bikes and fitted extra long range tank - he really did travel like Charlie Boorman and Ewen Macgregor all over europe etc all on his own, he has real balls that man - just ups and rides then stops and finds a job for a few months then off again..

I would seriously consider the weather before you go, it doesnt snow here in akl (well only once in while), hate for you to go and not be able to ride for as long as you think.

good on you for giving it a go
    Thanks bud, yea London for now but hoping to tour around once I get set up well enough. Definitely want to get a bike ASAP though.

Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    I guess you already know of MCN, well-worth having a look as they used bike listings...
    Yep, usually read a bunch of their review. Cheers for the advice!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by f2dz View Post
    Some older Triumphs may fit into my budget but I might be worreid about reliability from what I've heard, but I've never ridden anything Triumph.
    Give the 1960s ones a miss by all means but anything Hinckley should be fine. The suspension on Triumphs can go "baggy" but it probably won't be great on any of the other stuff you're looking at either. Older bikes may be cheaper in Britain but if they were ridden in winter the salt they put on the roads there can do a lot of damage.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianW View Post
    Honda VFR800 worth a look?
    That's what I would look hard at if I was buying a bike in that size range right now.
    Of course I do loves me a good Honda V4!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    VFR, because thy rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    A black one
    Definitely digging the look of those VFRs. I'm guessing they've got typical Honda reliability?

I'm assuming a V4 ain't so great on gas though, or am I wrong?

Thread Information