Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asian motorcycle culture observations

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    My first bike FZR250R Exup was bought in 93, influenced by polytech mates with bikes and it being a cheaper option at the time than the desired first choice of a Mk4 Cortina with mags. Prob better I got the bike as my first crash (wakeup call) ended up being low speed affair at 45k on a country road. One would expect that a testosterone induced crash would have eventuated with the Cortina if I'd got it and who knows the results and casualty list??? Imports at the time then still weren't anything special or easily accessed, well in HB anyway.

Overseas obsevations. Firstly in the UK the general acceptance of joe public mostly as motorbikers being equally valuable road users and members of society, none of this temporary citizen snobbery rubbish we get over here. And of course the higher standards of training and testing.

Holiday in Italy for three weeks, bikes everywhere and a culture of tooting for awareness instead of roadrage, never saw single accident despite being in main centres and covering lot of ground.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    What we need is for more people to see them as a serious alternative for primary transport. I honestly think the fact that I use a bike more than 99% of the time keeps me sane (although some may disagree with my appraisal of my mental state).
    Much as I really like going for a ride on my bike, I don't enjoy riding the bike in the city or in congested traffic. A small bike for me would be too limiting. Much as scooters are made fun of, they are cheap and very effective in city traffic. With there "easy more novice friendly" image they could go a long way towards increasing the use of bikes over cars.

The adoption rate of scooters here is small compared to say Europe. Their "girl/gay image" in NZ I'm sure plays a large part in the low adoption rate we have in NZ. I do see some underpowered mopeds around but unless you live very close to work it's hard to see them as alternative transport.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I recently sold my moped as since I retired I wasn't using it, just paying rego every three months. I have struck the "girlie" image thing here, but only from the type of rider that you'd suspect of harbouring such a view.

A significant percentage of riders of large and powerful machinery also own a scooter. You can't beat a scooter in heavy traffic - once you learn the skills required .
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    I'm seeing heaps of scooters about these days. If anything is a disincentive its probably the high cost (at a bike dealer - novices aren't likely to buy first helmet off net) of helmets and a protective jacket n gloves.

I'd say a very small minority of potential users would be worried about looking girly or gay and its the first time I've ever heard scooters described in such way. I'm restoring an old 50's moped and the chick friends that have seen it so far think its way cool.
    Sounds bit like the 'glamour' linehaul scene where many think how shiney their rig and how far they drive is a measure of a man...
    Been there and done all that and now 'downgraded' to a 280HP jappa. And my new employers health and safety policy means I'm not even allowed to work to my maximum hours.
    But I'm home every night and know i'll be home and when I'm working next along with a paycheck healthier than many linehaul drivers.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheepLogic View Post
    Much as I really like going for a ride on my bike, I don't enjoy riding the bike in the city or in congested traffic.
    I ride mine from Tuakau to Auckland CBD daily. Being in Tuakau the first part is pretty devoid of traffic and there are plenty of back roads to take. This certainly helps me put up with the traffic when I see it. Of course, working flexible hours helps. I usually don't leave home until after 9am and and work until after 6pm so the traffic's not as bad as it could be.

Even if the above were not the case I still think commuting by bike is far superior to going by car. When I lived in Mairangi Bay My stress levels dropped considerably when I moved from car to bike.

A small bike for me would be too limiting.
    No need for a "small" bike. Even with panniers I seldom find traffic I can't split.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1080.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	327.7 KB 
ID:	308279

The local Gendarmes in Bangkok are quite proactive.

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Name:	IMG_1064.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	800.9 KB 
ID:	308280

Khao San Rd, Bangkok, from memory. Donuts appear to be the Popo flavour of the day here too.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

Name:	IMG_1064.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	800.9 KB 
ID:	308280

Khao San Rd, Bangkok, from memory. Donuts appear to be the Popo flavour of the day here too.
    I see he's riding a Boxer - my boxer has cylinders (two of them) and they stick out the sides!

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Name:	IMG_1088.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	805.2 KB 
ID:	308282

Even the Chermans made it to Khao San Road, Bangkok.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1001.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	770.9 KB 
ID:	308281  

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Much as the police get criticized for the traffic enforcement they do, the average Joe Bloggs has no concept of what our roads would be like if it were not for the traffic enforcement.
    Respectfully disagree. Have ridden and driven in very many countries over the last close-to-40 years, it has always seemed to me that the major determinants of road safety are (1) the national culture (esp. whether it's the will of some imaginary friend in the sky as to if you are going to crash or not - ditto regarding preventative maintenance, seatbelt use, crash helmet use); (2) road engineering, especially where roads intersect; and (3) whether the enforcement arm takes their cue from law and logic, or politicians (and by politicians I primarily mean the police force's politicians, not their alleged civilian parliamentary/government masters). I offer up your consideration the examples of Saudi Arabia, Vietnam, New York, Texas, Egypt, Sydney, Queensland.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    china is full of scooters, the cunts are everywhere

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    india, KTMs are cheap as chips by our standards, though their Duke is a 200cc ;o

Bike
    XT660Z
    Sg has little or no bike culture. There are different local and expat groups but nothing you'd notice. The majority of scooters on the road are Malaysian workers who travel over daily. Motorbikes lost favour as transport as Singapore became wealthy. Cars are the status symbol, bikes are for the poor.

It's interesting that most Singaporeans can't afford a car - cheapest new car is over $100K - but don't generally move to bikes, probably because the public transport is so good. Bikes have also recently become more expensive as the COE (every vehicle needs one, lasts for 10 years) has risen to $4K from $1K (cars are about $65K) which pushes bikes further out of reach. Despite appearances, the bulk of the population survives on under 25K per year.

Malaysia, on the other hand, is quite different. It seems that kids start riding from an early age so there is a real scooter/small bike culture. They really do like their bikes. I've had lots of conversations around bikes over there. Even had one lady chat me up because she liked my bike, wife on pillion stopped that going any further.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Darn, that COE increase is really an impact on Singapore motorcyclists. When I was on assignment in there from 2004, I bought a 2002 Dyna with 41K on the clock (that's 41 km not 40,000 kilometres...) for 18,000 Singapore, and the COE on top of that was (them only) 254 SGD with of course no ACC equivalent - but mandatory insurance. It was my daily commute for seven years (cars being unaffordable for the reasons you describe) and now it's home with me in NZ. It was interesting to see the reactions from locals and fellow foreigners alike when I said that the motorcycle was my daily transport, immediate "perceived status" downgrade

Thread Information