Thread: So I'm buying my first bike

Bike
    None, as yet...

So I'm buying my first bike

Hi guys, really great forum you have here!

I'm looking to buy my first bike, and I wondered if anyone had/knew about some that might be for sale. I'm looking for something from about 125 to 250cc, and pre-1975. I just need it to get around town, with a bit of motorway work here and there. I am an able mechanic and not put off by a bit of assembly required, but running and registered would definitely be better. I'm in Auckland, so would prefer to buy close-ish to home.

Thanks for your help!
    Nick de Wit

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick de Wit View Post
    Hi guys, really great forum you have here!

I'm looking to buy my first bike, and I wondered if anyone had/knew about some that might be for sale. I'm looking for something from about 125 to 250cc, and pre-1975. I just need it to get around town, with a bit of motorway work here and there. I am an able mechanic and not put off by a bit of assembly required, but running and registered would definitely be better. I'm in Auckland, so would prefer to buy close-ish to home.

Thanks for your help!
    Nick de Wit
    Hi Nick, and welcome.. Pre 1975, why?? If it's a nostalgia thing, seriously, dont. These old warhorses, are gaining value yes, but spares, repairs etc are often difficult, and for a everyday ride, WHY would you opt for the crap brakes (which they are) and terrible frame/suspension packages?
    There are a lot of 250's around much newer that are far better. You'll get a lot of differing advice, often to 'buy a 4cyl sports 250'... coz they rock, go fast etc.. simple answer is, what are considered slow, heavy crap 250's like the Hyosung, is fast(er) as the old 1970's 250's with better frames, brakes, suspension. You DO realise ou can now buy up to 660cc?? So bikes like the DR/KR/XTz series of bikes are now available to you, same performance but on a proper bike, with torquey low revving engines... also not thrashed to buggery by squillions of spotty faced would be Valentino's, like most sporty 250's are....
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    ..... Pre 1975, why?? ......
    der, cheap rego.

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    i guess theres a few that may be 'ok' if you can find a reasonably tidy and original-ish one say..honda cb200 or cb125, suzuki ts185 etc
    umm..there gotta be more surely, i wouldnt recommend the twin cylinder two stroke road bikes of that era unless your already familiar
    with spannering on them, and have an indepth knowledge of their electrics, carburators, oil injection setups, are handy at top end rebuilds etc.
    just had a quick looky at trademe..theres a tidy cb175 twin on there at the mo, based in auckland.
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    And the budget is?
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    just buy an xr150L, reg it as an ag bike to get cheap plates, supposed to have a 30KM limit from farm but who's gonna know driving round middle of town and motorway

Bike
    None, as yet...
    Thanks for the advice! I do love old bikes, despite their shortcomings. A cheap rego is definitely on my list. I had no idea they were allowing up to 660cc now... This could be scary. Heh.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick de Wit View Post
    I had no idea they were allowing up to 660cc now...
    Bikes over 250cc have to be approved by TPTB to be learner-compliant. Alternately, there's a list of prohibited bikes under 250cc but I doubt these are your cup of tea. It's possible to have a 251-660cc bike added to the approved list but it's a bureaucratic process and as such may take a while.

Check out this page for more info http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/gett...cles/lams.html

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Leave the 40 year old stuff for sunny Sundays.

Day to day transport is better served on something more late model.

Thread Information