Thread: Bandit 1200 front end question

Bike
    2000 Aprilia RSV Mille,

Bandit 1200 front end question

Who has given theirs a tickle up?
    What's the bestest and easiest things to do?
    I presume the damper interals are orifice type as she's pretty harsh on 'square edge' bump events

Please note:
    Not interested in the ohlins option

Have used the search function - so many opinions my eyes are bleeding hence interested in personal experience

Is there a bolt in USD fork option that uses the existing wheel and brake package?

Cheers
    "I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it." -- Erwin Schrodinger talking about quantum mechanics.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    USD conversions on Suzukis are normally easy as they use a lot of the same head bearings etc. Try one of the Bandit specific sites - all will be listed.

Contact RT and order a set of Ohlins (or what he recommends) front springs to suit your weight/riding. Pop them in with fresh oil and the change is very noticeable. Cheap too relative to motorcycle shit. Did this on my Hornet. Will do on future bikes as a 'must' before noise makers or bling.

If you budget allows you can send him your forks and all types of gold goodness can go into the tubes - warning though once the front is tidy it will make the short commings of the rear end very apparent. Nothing another call won't fix .....

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    I was going along really well there AllanB. Thinking , yeah, Yeah!.
    Then I thought, trip to the naki! Even better.
    Then the washing machine did a bearing, sadly the shortcomings are just going to have to wait.
    The bandit is good out of the box, but once you've messed with suspension front and rear and you know what can achieved it seems too bloody important not to do it asap.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Bloody washing machines - they appear to know when you are going to spend coin on the bike!

Front springs are well priced and made a big difference. Easy DIY job if you have the skills

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by schrodingers cat View Post
    Who has given theirs a tickle up?
    What's the bestest and easiest things to do?
    I presume the damper interals are orifice type as she's pretty harsh on 'square edge' bump events

Please note:
    Not interested in the ohlins option

Have used the search function - so many opinions my eyes are bleeding hence interested in personal experience

Is there a bolt in USD fork option that uses the existing wheel and brake package?

Cheers
    First thing is re-spring it to suit your weight. I used some progressive brand springs which worked well, found them the other day. And it had a Hayabusa rear shock in it. It handled ok. Some gold valves will be the way to get it at its best but some springs and new fluid will help a lot.

The Hayabusa shock I think is abit longer helped it tip in.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    If you are on real low bucks and the bike is a few years old - change the fork oil. Mmmmm fresh oil

Bike
    2000 Aprilia RSV Mille,
    Thanks all. I'm more than happy about the bikes current turn in characteristics the front doesn't feel 'under sprung ' as it is.
    New fork oil is already on the program and since the rear tyre is half worn and looking aged, a fresh rear to match the fresh front will improve the general feel.

The low and medium speed front damping is acceptable to me, what I want to improve is the jarring when it hits a bump.
    It feels rather like hydraulic locking hence my comment about orifice internals.

Once I've gotten rid of that feel then I may consider springs. At this stage tho that isn't the thing that is bugging me
    "I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it." -- Erwin Schrodinger talking about quantum mechanics.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Thanks all. I'm more than happy about the bikes current turn in characteristics the front doesn't feel 'under sprung ' as it is.
    New fork oil is already on the program and since the rear tyre is half worn and looking aged, a fresh rear to match the fresh front will improve the general feel.

The low and medium speed front damping is acceptable to me, what I want to improve is the jarring when it hits a bump.
    It feels rather like hydraulic locking hence my comment about orifice internals.

Once I've gotten rid of that feel then I may consider springs. At this stage tho that isn't the thing that is bugging me
    Check your sags. I suspect it is undersprung and your going through the stroke.

Some good Bandit sites out there with lots of info.

Bike
    2000 Aprilia RSV Mille,
    Sag is set and ok.

There are hundreds and hundreds of sites with forums, which as I said in the original post, make my eyes bleed as there is endless argument and misinformation.
    For every bit of seemingly good advice there are 20 folks to disagree - not unlike here

Specifically my question is, has anyone performed a damper upgrade? If so, what did you do

Bike
    Blog Entries
    E-mail here - ask what can be done at basic to advanced levels and value of work. He has a tonn of knowledge and open to sharing it with genuine people looking to make improvements to their ride. After-sales back up is unparalleled. I spend my coin wisely and as stated feel I go excellent value for my $.

http://kiwirider.co.nz/ckt/

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post

The Hayabusa shock I think is abit longer helped it tip in.
    GS1200ss ? Twin Shock...maybe GSX1400 with 3 wqy adjustment be the way to go, or 3 way adj XJR1300 Ohlins (with tickle up from CKT) also.
    Don't know if the fronts are rebuildable, my 07 GSX14 wasn't but 02-05 were - like SV thous.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    GS1200ss ? Twin Shock...maybe GSX1400 with 3 wqy adjustment be the way to go, or 3 way adj XJR1300 Ohlins (with tickle up from CKT) also.
    Don't know if the fronts are rebuildable, my 07 GSX14 wasn't but 02-05 were - like SV thous.
    Didnt pick up on that, Ooops. Thought it was standard Bandit.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Hmm GS1200ss is not a 'Bandit' - OK it has a Bandit motor and some other goodies, but was never named Bandit. Smaller carbs too than the Bandit.

Sorry - being anal as I owned one - there was a GS1200 (could be corrected on the name here) - naked, same frame as 1200ss but no fairing.

Mmmmm mine had a titanium full exhaust.

Bike
    Street tracker
    I bought the GSF1200S (OK - Bandit) advertised on here a while ago. I suspect it may have hit something fairly solid at some point and been rebuilt.

It's been fitted with GSXR (750?) USD forks and front brakes, and (I'm told) a GSXR rear shock and brake. At the moment I'm not too fussed exactly wht has been done - it works, although there is definitely room for improvement. It doesn't feel as planted when leant over as it should.

Other 'mods' include DIY paint, a replacement headlight with a fuel gauge cut into it, a strip LED rev counter, and (when I got it) a bicycle speedo. There's some curious wiring modifications at the front end... I'm now using a smartphone and GPS speedo. The front brake lever has lost it's ball, the pegs have been replaced and crash bobbins fitted. Exhaust is a Danmoto, the routing of which means no centre stand (not uncommon). The frame has been painted (coated?) with a rubbery/plastic finish which wears and peels off - the frame looks black, but was a deep red colour. The chain looked to have been made from bits and pieces that were lying around so I've changed it, and the rear sprocket is a 42 instead of the standard 46 - no idea (yet) what the front is.

It runs well, and the price was right, so I'm not complaining. This is most emphatically NOT a 'dig' or 'go' at the seller! I am keen to know more history and I'm sure some on here could contribute, so if you feel incliined to do so, please drop me a line. :-)

The plan is to probably take it off the road come the bad weather and find out exactly what I've got.

Regardless - Suzuki USD front forks work well and really look the part. Gold goodness would be nice but will have to wait - our washing machine is fine at the momnet, but there's plenty of other things needing money spent on them!
    Ensure your current suspension is optimally set, including oil change and so on. Just that can make an enormous difference.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Sag is set and ok.

There are hundreds and hundreds of sites with forums, which as I said in the original post, make my eyes bleed as there is endless argument and misinformation.
    For every bit of seemingly good advice there are 20 folks to disagree - not unlike here

Specifically my question is, has anyone performed a damper upgrade? If so, what did you do
    Sadly, I dont know what model/size it was taken from, but we have/had a Wellington local (who I think has just recently moved and was a mechanic, Matt Miller) he has a Bandit 1200 with GSX suspension front and rear, it went round corners pretty damn well. So if anyone here is able to help you contact him, or try the Wellington riders website on FB, 'he's already done it'.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Thread Information