Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: I just don't get Harleys. MBB, copping negative Rep since ages ago.

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I hope she was older than twelve?

Was out for a ride one day with a group mostly comprising cruisers. The road was wet but through the Uruti valley the Harley riders were cruising at 90kph and slowing for the bends!

On the way beck coming up Mt Messenger I was being a bit careful as the patches of road that were shaded were still damp. Three of the Harley dudes passed me on a bend going like the clappers. Like totally different riders. At the car park on top they were jumping out of their skins, really hyper, they had been going for it. I still haven't figured that out.

Wasn't it Moses who used a Harley to part an ocean?
    It’s diametrically opposed to the sanitised existence of the Lemmings around me in the Dilbert Cartoon hell I live in; it’s life at full volume, perfect colour with high resolution and 10,000 watts of amplification.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I hope she was older than twelve?

Considerably!

Quote Originally Posted by madbikeboy View Post
    You recall in the 80's that saying about frames having a hinge in the middle…?

The sensation is weird for a sports bike rider, as you turn in the bike wants to push, and the feedback through the bars is like it's going to tuck. I rode a GSXR11 home many years ago with a leaky front tyre, same feeling. The thing I like about sports bikes is that the bike will turn as fast as you want, and the level of grip and feedback are awesome; you can slide the front at will. Hence harleys leaving me cold.
    I was there Mate! But you get used to lazyish steering. A decently setup Harley is much like riding a heavy dirtbike.

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    Yep, my road king has 28 deg camber and the rubber mounted motor-swingarm. I have 3" dia mufflers which gives me 1/2" extra ground clearance exactly where it is needed (like mounting the pegs 19mm higher on a sports bike). it also has hard urethane motor mounts. Its a bit more rigid than stock but can still get a bit wild when I hit a pothole mid corner (just like a 350 kg trail bike). The other thing that helps me is fitting Conti Milestone tyres, they are a lot softer and chop out faster but are a tire a lot like the old Conti Blitz IMHO.

Its funny that the white nuckle bregade always say "but they are so slow in the corners" well yep they are not sports bikes. When I am out for a fling in the sports car I find all bikes painfully slow in the corners, they brake way to early and are just a PITA to follow. If the corners are your thing on a bike you have to try a "propper" performance car. A good car will carry about 25% more speed through any corner. It's just the bikes have a better power to weight and go like stink after the exit.

The attitude comes with not really giving a fuck. The OP is a prime example, what kind of fuckwit baggs another riders bike. A few years ago there was a keyboard warrior in Chch who I took exception with, I caught up with him on a KBWNR from the pic of his bike. He sure talked like a hard man but when I walked up to him he was a funny wee androgenous boy who didn't come up to my shoulder and I would have been a good 40kg heavier than him. I let the rage I had go, I am not that hard a man, but I know many who are.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    No matter what bike you ride, you will at times push things to the limit.
    Harley's limits are far lower then a proper sport's bikes limits

Most riders however aren't anywhere near Rossi s skill levels, thus all of this becones less relevant.
    when I push things and work hard, I get a good workout with plenty of fun and challenges...
    the real speed I manage on the day will be less then some, but higher then other's....
    But it will be my best on the day...
    all I need.
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I hate those Harleys that are hauling arse and fanging it hard around the corners and you have to make a concentrated effort to stay with.

WTF are those guys thinking? Do they not realise they have a image to keep up?
    I agree WTF are they doing??? They must be well insured by the wife/girlfriend/blonde bimbo............ Harley 'death weave', that HD deny, yet it seems to happen!!

http://tinyurl.com/o3e3tnm

http://tinyurl.com/lusdj56
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post

The attitude comes with not really giving a fuck. The OP is a prime example, what kind of fuckwit baggs another riders bike. A few years ago there was a keyboard warrior in Chch who I took exception with, I caught up with him on a KBWNR from the pic of his bike. He sure talked like a hard man but when I walked up to him he was a funny wee androgenous boy who didn't come up to my shoulder and I would have been a good 40kg heavier than him. I let the rage I had go, I am not that hard a man, but I know many who are.
    I'm that sort of fuck wit. And I'm less polite in real life.
    It’s diametrically opposed to the sanitised existence of the Lemmings around me in the Dilbert Cartoon hell I live in; it’s life at full volume, perfect colour with high resolution and 10,000 watts of amplification.

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Considerably!

I was there Mate! But you get used to lazyish steering. A decently setup Harley is much like riding a heavy dirtbike.
    I've ridden a mate's hypermotard a few times, and I can't get to grips with it. He likes to point out that motocross and road racing share the commonality of two wheels and little else. Riding style and loose nut on top of the bike are 95% of the speed...

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    ............ Harley 'death weave', that HD deny, yet it seems to happen!!

]
    9 times out of ten it's the rider pulling on the handle bars that sets up the weave.

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    I'm that sort of fuck wit. And I'm less polite in real life.
    Yep you are a Auzy!

Bike
    I love having a chat with the odd Harley rider outside the shop and opening with 'shit that's a nice Honda'
    Quick way to learn who's a funny bugger and who thinks a lot of themselves.

No other bike marque that gets a bit of stick cries about it as much as Harley owners, which makes you want to take the piss out of them more.

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Yep you are a Auzy!
    I've spent far more time in the US than Australia, and I've been living between Austin, SF, and Sydney for work for the last year or so. Does that make me American?

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    I've spent far more time in the US than Australia, and I've been living between Austin, SF, and Sydney for work for the last year or so. Does that make me American?
    Well only two things come from Texas....... SF and Sydney........ How do you feel about Hondas?

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Well only two things come from Texas....... SF and Sydney........ How do you feel about Hondas?
    Steers and queers huh? You've got to see the women in Austin to understand the attraction. Plus, there's a pretty nice race track there as well. SF has Sonoma park raceway, and it's close to Monterey (Laguna Seca). Fucking awesome part of the world, even the cops are reasonable considering how I ride. Sydney is like Nazi germany without the spiffy uniforms and tanks - if you ride here, you'll get to meet most of the local cops reasonably quickly. But the nightlife (and wildlife) makes up for it.

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    Steers and queers huh? You've got to see the women in Austin to understand the attraction. Plus, there's a pretty nice race track there as well. SF has Sonoma park raceway, and it's close to Monterey (Laguna Seca). Fucking awesome part of the world, even the cops are reasonable considering how I ride. Sydney is like Nazi germany without the spiffy uniforms and tanks - if you ride here, you'll get to meet most of the local cops reasonably quickly. But the nightlife (and wildlife) makes up for it.
    I worked in Galverston, Freeport, Beaumont area for a while for Mobil Oil. The nice thing about Aust is the Tasman sea.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    You have met my neighbors then. Although I would not call her skinny, more "big boned".
    Maybe they roll play?

Thread Information