Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Waikato rides

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    I was inspired, so I took the DR650 for a ride, went to Bridal Veils Falls, along some gravel to Kawhia and then along a fun winding road to Otorohanga and back home.
    Nice pictures!

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    Nice pictures!
    Yeah, a bit more water after the rain.

For a longer ride back, you can turn right about 15 minutes from Kawhia. Takes you south around the harbour, then you come out somewhere near Te Kuiti. Also a fun ride!

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    Every few months I try to ride down to Kawhia for a fish and chips lunch. That's the excuse anyway, the ride is always the most fun part.

So I headed down that way last Saturday, but I was late leaving home and the long weekend traffic out of Auckland slowed me down at first. I normally go down what was SH22, but the middle part is a real mess, so I went all the way to Huntly power station, then right onto Hetherington Rd.

There are some typical North Waikato views from the road and I stopped and took this photo.

SH22 to the Raglan turnoff is a bit of a pain after being resealed, as there is still some loose metal between the car tyre tracks. After a couple of slides, I dialed it back a little.

Stopped for a coffee and pie at Te Uku, then decided it was getting a bit late to carry on to Kawhia and make it back to Auckland. So I did the tourist thing and went to the Bridal Veil falls for the first time for ages.

Not much water though, but worth the walk.

Rode back to Ngaruawahia through Waingaro, fun ride and almost no traffic. Then the slog back to Auckland...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    I was inspired, so I took the DR650 for a ride, went to Bridal Veils Falls, along some gravel to Kawhia and then along a fun winding road to Otorohanga and back home.
    My waterfall was bigger than your waterfall's Good to see others out and stopping to enjoy the views. I reckon the Bridal Veil falls have about 270 steps going down and 300 steps coming back up. Leaving your gear safe is the biggest hassle with visiting these places.

I have this weekend off but wont make any plans just yet.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Waterfall Photos.

eldog, Here's a link to some NZ waterfalls photography. One section of this chaps photography site. Something for me to aspire to when the new camera arrives. Some of these waterfalls, I had never known existed.

http://www.stewartwatsonphotography....d-streams.html

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Looked at the website some nice photos there.....

i did did once get interested in photography, back in the day with Fuji 800 grade film and waiting to see how it would all come out. Some real good shots of USA etc.

then camera was stolen in burglary. Lost interest and only take a few shots here and there. Did revive a little of that time a while back with a fellow KB member but things have moved on.

back to taking the odd shot with phone as you do.

once I get a few more things sorted (there is a long list but I am punching through them) then you may see me take a few more pics when we stop.

Have planned to visit a few waterfalls/natural bridges etc down your way Awa, but I haven't really been in the mood to get much further along with the planning stage.

i don't mind travelling with you (and others) if you want to stop and take pics that's fine, as long as I have time, I would do the same. Just need to plan the route to give as much time at the stops as we can.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2016 Yamaha FZ6R
    I've got a few waterfalls in mind that should be quite good to check out, one is even up towards Auckland

Any rides this weekend?

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by fxxk View Post
    I've got a few waterfalls in mind that should be quite good to check out, one is even up towards Auckland

Any rides this weekend?
    Can't this weekend double booked myself already.
    will scrape by, just.

unless it's a mint ride, need a week to try and get time off. Busy time

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Taupo ride.

I decided I would take a run down to Taupo and see the sidecars in action. It would be a chance to ride a couple of roads between Whakamaru and Taupo that I had not ridden before. I was cruising up the climb to Wharepapa south past a deer farm, when I spotted a stag on top of a rocky peak. Hit the brakes and walked back down the road hopeing the deer hadn't moved. There was a fair bit of roaring going on so I'm assuming the deer was a stag with his antlers removed.

He was still there.

A closeup photo.

At Wharepapa, I turned right and rode Seafund rd then left onto Bayley road. All these roads are in brilliant shape. The Autumn colours of the trees amidst the pockets of native bush on the hill sides made for lovely scenes. On the Ngaroma road I stopped and crossed a paddock to a rocky peak to try for a 'non roadside' photo.

If you use your imagination here, you could almost see a goat's head within the rock on the right.

Further on past Ngaroma on Wairehi road I found this old Fordson on the roadside. Looked like it had been here for a while, but I have not noticed it before. Riding this road is bliss. One corner after another.

At Whakamaru I found a picnic area a side road off Kaahu rd. Went cross country on the bike and stopped to try for a photo from a different angle to my other efforts.

Kaahu road.

Once on Poihipi rd I turned onto Marotiri, Waihora then Otake roads. Otake was a new road for me. Part way along one farm had scattered Bluegums covering the paddocks. Looked quite nice. Looking towards a big puddle in the background.

Whangamata road lead back onto Poihipi and I refueled in Taupo. Found the sidecar mob and enjoyed listening to the sounds and sights. They were having an open day for the public to have a go as swingers. Everyone from oldies to kids were having a ball.

From here I found my way to the lower lookout below the Aratiatia dam.

Back at the dam, I decided against waiting for the gates to open (spectacular water flows) and crossed the dam to find SH1. A short way along, I turned left onto Link road, right onto Oruanui road. Some lovely Autumn colours along side the road. Next turnoff was Forest road. A new road for me. This is a great road, sealed (which I had thought it wasn't) wide and runs through to Mokai.

Forest road farm land.

For some reason this photo came out quite dark. Turn right at Tirohanga road and along to the Galaxy road bridge to cross the Waikato river. Ongaroto road got me back to Whakamaru where I had my first coffee break for the ride. From here, I re-traced my route through the Ngaroma district. This was magic. No hard out speed, just a steady rolling through the corners, the ride just flowed. The late afternoon sun on the hills, this was why I own a motorbike. The rest of the world just disappeared.
    Back home, the trip meter showed 347k for the ride.

If you want an alternative route from Taupo to Whakamaru via Poihipi rd, try this route. Poihipi-Oruanui-Forest-Tirohanga roads. From this junction either right towards Atiamuri or/and cross the river to Ongaroto road, or left back to Poihipi/Tihoi road.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Did you have a go as 'swinger'?

As always, brilliant photos - like the one of Whakamaru and the blue gums on the farm. Good time of the year for photography, not that summer harshness of light and the deciduous trees are coming into their splendor...

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Did you have a go as 'swinger'?

Years ago I wanted to, but my wife wouldn't have a bar of it,,, oh you mean the side car??. I thought about it.Not agile enough these days.

Bike
    2016 Yamaha FZ6R
    Coming from Tokoroa towards whakamaru turn left before the Dam and follow that road for about 500m -1km and turn onto the gravel road, it's a camping spot opposite the rocky hill across the lake, great photo opp. Or stay on that road, has a few great scenic corners

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    That's great eyesight and hearing to spot that dear. Tagged and released.

from Aratiatia take the road east to View Rd, Broadlands Rd, Vaile Rd, see if you can stop off at Reporoa Superette for a milkshake

Sidecars, you would have been fine as a swinger

i forgot about this and then found I had something else booked.
    Will keep an eye out. Fitness needs to improve.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fxxk View Post
    Coming from Tokoroa towards whakamaru turn left before the Dam and follow that road for about 500m -1km and turn onto the gravel road, it's a camping spot opposite the rocky hill across the lake, great photo opp. Or stay on that road, has a few great scenic corners
    That's a great campsite. Next spring, I intend to camp there and spend a day riding the cycle track the length of the lake, with my camera. Going slow is the secret to spotting those opportunities.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04662.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	890.7 KB 
ID:	321294

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    That's a great campsite. Next spring, I intend to camp there and spend a day riding the cycle track the length of the lake, with my camera. Going slow is the secret to spotting those opportunities.
    Can be an awesome spot, even in murky conditions. Photo taken in July last year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July_Calm[1].jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	758.3 KB 
ID:	321345  

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

No More.

It has been fun, but with the bike now sold my riding days are pretty well done. I enjoyed posting up the photos and stories.
    Perhaps someone else will take up this thread, I hope so.

Cheers,

Thread Information