Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coping with reversed foot controls

Coping with reversed foot controls

I took my 1974 Moto Guzzi Stornello for a ride the other day, it was last registered in 1988 - so I haven't ridden it for a few years. It has a right foot gearchange, down for up...and I don't toe it up for downshifts, it has a heel and toe lever, so I heel downshifts. I did about 30km on my ride and never got my feet mixed up the whole ride, just clicked into my Stornello mindset and rode the bike as I used to.

So today I'm back on my R65 after a few days off work, the bike I ride everyday...well, 5 days a week anyway. I seem OK with upshifts, but changing down for corners my brake pedal goes hard with no response, and I'm floundering around with my right foot trying to downshift with my heel...there is nothing there.

From 1970 to 1988 I rode mostly right shift down for up, but there were a few Triumphs where I had to go up for up....I've ridden more Triumphs than I've owned...and one I owned had a reversed lever, so down for up. There were a few Japanese bikes in there, but after 1988 I've only ridden bikes with a left foot gearchange. I've spent more time riding with a left foot change than right foot change - so how come after 30 minutes my mind reverts to something I haven't done for decades ?
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    You never forget how you first learned a skill. it's fairly easy to rig up the gear shift to be down for up shifts. You might need to buy/make some linkages, but I'd rather have all shifters on all bikes I ride going the same way. left foot to right foot conversions would be a pain to try do.

Sent from my HTC Desire 310 using Forum Fiend v1.3.2.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    muscle memory

It'd be a bastard to convert the BMW to left foot shift, but not impossible. The Guzzi has a cross shaft shift lever, so it can have a gearlever on the left - but I'd never go backwards, so convert the BMW it is then.
    Waging war with society

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Similar issue here, except mine has had the heeltoe replaced with rearsets so changing up is right foot down and changing down is right foot up. When I go to use the rear brake I sometimes push on the gear lever and change up which has the opposite effect to braking.

Also like you it is not too hard to convert to left hand shift, but that would be sacrilige.

Don't have too many problems going from bike to bike, but if anyone asks me what side the gear lever is on, I have to think about.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

I can use the heel lever from the pillion pegs...so that reverses the shift pattern, but makes the rear brake a long way away.

I've never had much trouble swapping around with bikes, but back in the day something like a YZ490 would have me freezing up with foot pushing hard on the gearlever for a brake and going into a fence. When I used to ride my Norton with my wife in front on her Trident, I would be so sucked into that triple sound that I'd do Triumph shifts.
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Exercycle
    Back in the day, I raced two bikes with shift on different sides. Proddy bike and race bike. Simply changed the race bike to match the Jap proddy shift direction. Down with either foot and I slowed down and got a lower gear, often both at once, lol.

I have a friend/customer who has all his bikes left foot up for up. Made a few changeover linkages for him now....

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    When I get on the Commando I press the button on the bars and nothing happens what should I do?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Get a bulb horn - they are still legal.
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Street Triple R
    How about a straight swap of you R65 for a suzuki twist n go scooter? Cant get confused if there is no gearlever or clutch.

The inevitable consequence of electronics on bikes is automatic gearboxes..... :-)
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1997 Honda VFR750
    Motu I was confused just reading your post!

Like Akzle says, muscle memory...in absence of the real term. Heartening, to think that just a short period doing something that was automatic to me over 30 years ago, becomes automatic again. All those other things I learned back then that were just part of my riding at the time - should the need arise, they will be there.

A theory of Kenny Roberts - everything you learn in any situation on your motorcycle sits in a bag on your wall of experience, anytime you need it, just grab it and use what's in there. My wall is overgrown with ivy, my ''get me out of here'' bags baggy with excess material - but I'm pretty I can grab one without looking.
    Waging war with society

Bike
    So old you won't care
    I still have one of each. There is always one cock up before the end of the street and then the body goes oh! And that's it... Having said that they are still both up for up. Mr brain struggled with the A100/AC50 mutt with its weird down for up and neutral at the end instead of between 1st and 2nd...

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    How about a straight swap of you R65 for a suzuki twist n go scooter? Cant get confused if there is no gearlever or clutch.

The inevitable consequence of electronics on bikes is automatic gearboxes..... :-)

Unless they ban old bikes I have no intention of updating past the carbs era.
    If I can't fix it myself I don't want it.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Back in the day, I raced two bikes with shift on different sides. Proddy bike and race bike.
    ...I have only gone the wrong way on the Velo or the Honda a couple of times...usually after a long day on the track...I did have some monumental fuck ups happening last meeting though...I had a day on a modern 250 and it was not the race pattern I have on the Honda...quite a few upchanges when I really needed some engine braking...caused a lttle moto-crossing at Ruapuna...

Thread Information