Thread: New bike, looking for recommended bike alarm

Bike
    2014 Kawasaki 650R

New bike, looking for recommended bike alarm

Good evening, I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post this. I am looking for advice or recommendation for Motorcycle Alarm.

I am getting a new 2014 Kawasaki 650R very excited. Would like to buy and have installed a Motorcycle Alarm, more as a deterrent. If someone really wants to steal it, they will. But I don't want my bike to go quietly, so Loud horrible noise is a must.

It's is also important to have a quality Alarm which isn't too sensitive (Goes off for no reason), will be difficult to by-pass and small enough to be easily hidden and one that wont drain the battery.

Any advice or opinion is welcome, Thank you

Ben

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    immobiliser for one. wired WELL. which means you're basically stripping it to the loom and running it with the OEM wiring. there isn't much space on a bike to hide things.

option 2 - put a sneaky switch somewhere sneaky, a reed switch even, so you swipe a magnet past it to trip in the starter relay.

throttle lock/disk lock for two. - visual deterrent, and you can get noisy ones.

Bike
    2014 Kawasaki 650R

Thank you

Can anyone recommend a Brake & Throttle Lock? I am keen on one that'll crack the sh#ts (Loud Noise) when touched but not so sensitive that it goes off all the time. Going to start reading up on Brake & Throttle Locks now

Bike
    2000 Honda cbr 600 f
    Having an alarm on bike is a nightmare, it drains your battery and it will bring more troubles than helping you. I reckon that you think carefully before install one.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Having an alarm on bike is a nightmare, it drains your battery and it will bring more troubles than helping you. I reckon that you think carefully before install one.
    Plus one to that.
    IF you must have one - get one with an alarm proffesionally installed.
    Not dropped off to the local bike shop and hope for the best, go to a proffesional installer.
    They tend to cost less than a regular mechanic and the job will be better concealed and less prone to faults.

For the Hayabusa I went to Mongoose on the north shore.
    http://www.mongoose.co.nz/contact.html
    Shortened the standby of the bikes battery to about 3 weeks. When disconnected standby is about 6 weeks before it won't start off the button.

You'd never know it was there without being told or setting it off. More importantly they made it good and waterproof.
    I know of at least 2 who have had good systems fitted by mechanics that suddenly start immobilising or sounding in the rain.
    I also know of one mechanic installed alarm that blew all fuses on the bike if it started raining while activated.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    easiest option, park it in a locked garage every night. park it in a visible spot in the day and disc lock. if you plan on leaving it outside over night, then worry about an alarm.

Bike
    bandit
    One of these .. no-one will get near your bike .. and it will make a lot of noise when needed.

"So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    CB1300

New bike, looking for recommended bike alarm

I have one of those providing security at home.

It is more when out and about in the less celebrious areas.

25-30 kg of alarm system is not always practical.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderBen View Post
    Good evening, I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post this. I am looking for advice or recommendation for Motorcycle Alarm.

I am getting a new 2014 Kawasaki 650R very excited. Would like to buy and have installed a Motorcycle Alarm, more as a deterrent. If someone really wants to steal it, they will. But I don't want my bike to go quietly, so Loud horrible noise is a must.

It's is also important to have a quality Alarm which isn't too sensitive (Goes off for no reason), will be difficult to by-pass and small enough to be easily hidden and one that wont drain the battery.

Any advice or opinion is welcome, Thank you

Ben

I had a bike stolen last year from my garage while we slept. Cops are not interested and insurance paid out in 6 days .
    I have oxford disc alarms on my bikes now, not over sensitive but loud enough to make them run and doesn't drain bike battery, carry it with you to use away from home. I have much more security in garage etc than before. Bikes are also chained to garage floor. The things we have to do to keep what's ours.
    flashg

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    The other evening, some delightful chaps decided to take to my ignition barrel with a hammer and screwdriver before noticing that the bike was chained to a post.

Anyway, amongst the smashed plastic, I was surprised not to see any antennae wiring for the immobiliser that CycleSpot had advertised my bike as having.

A quick call to Suzuki - my 'Busa is Californian spec and bizarrely has no immobiliser. They can easily add this though. The loom and ECU is all there, just need the antennae and a chipped key. About $500.

Quick call to CycleSpot. "Yup, our bad. We will pay for a mongoose immobiliser."

So, Suzuki immobiliser or mongoose full blown alarm system.

Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    CB1300
    Had a mongoose in my old 04, installed by mongoose. Pretty good system.
    They recommended against a full immobiliser because it was based on a fob that could go flat get wet inside etc but that was 05. Having gone through that drama in a car, getting a tech out to bypass an immobiliser is expensive. More so if you're at Piha.
    A chip based fob or key doesn't care of your battery is nearly flat or you're key is wet.

If you want the noisy parts a covert install of a mongoose is a pretty good choice.
    Either way I'd go with the rfid chip if it is an option.

I had the mongoose in the Haysbusa for 9 years. Not even a flat fob. But then I didn't use it a lot.

In have rfid system on the Honda. I only have their word it works but it had never let me down in 2 years.
    Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Thread Information