Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stolen bike recovered after 4 years (NZ story)

Bike
    Street Triple

Stolen bike recovered after 4 years (NZ story)

My mates 2002 R1 was stolen from his garage back in 2011.
    Uninsured at the time, he reported the theft to police and we spent the next year or so keeping an eye on trademe, wreckers etc, but nothing turned up.

Almost forgotten, last week he got a call from the local cop to say his bike had been recovered, picked up when a rider was stopped for speeding.

The bike is now red with a horrible home made paint job (originally blue) and has a few bits missing, but mechanically seems okay. Odometer has increased only ~3000km (in 4 years) so possible it was stored for sometime after theft. No attempt had been made to disguise or remove/replace VIN.

Rider is claiming he only recently purchased and had no idea the bike was stolen, however his story is full of inconsistencies - the bike had a number plate from a car that had been modified to remove the last number. He said he bought it in ChCh, however he was caught speeding in BOP, only 30km from where it was stolen. However police said unlikely he will be processed for receiving stolen goods as "probably too long ago"... At least traffic fines from incident will be significant, and bike was confiscated on the spot. Even if innocent, he is an idiot, speeding on a bike with no mirrors and an obviously bodged number plate.

On brightside, mate stoked to have bike returned (that R1 still his favourite bike he's owned to date) looking forward to returning it to former glory, and plans to keep (supplementing his ZX14).
    ...and I don't wanna die, just want to ride my motorcy...cle (Arlo Guthrie)

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by bane View Post
    Almost forgotten, last week he got a call from the local cop to say his bike had been recovered, picked up when a rider was stopped for speeding.
    Can't be true!

Heaps of drongos on here claim targetting speeder is only revenue-gatherin, never has any side-effects, ever!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Nice! Small victory all things considered. Going to put it back on the road or track bike?

Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Can't be true!

Heaps of drongos on here claim targetting speeder is only revenue-gatherin, never has any side-effects, ever!
    The upside I took from it was that if I keep low for long enough I can get away with anything because you guys are allergic to dust or something. Awesome!

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post

The upside I took from it was that if I keep low for long enough I can get away with anything because you guys are allergic to dust or something. Awesome!
    Yeah, that's always going to work...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Yeah, that's always going to work...
    Sure bet. First thing I'll steal and hide are the antihistamines

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    it warms my cockles.

Did the individuals details get passed along?

Bike
    2015 f800gt
    Quote Originally Posted by bane View Post
    My mates 2002 R1 was stolen from his garage back in 2011.
    Uninsured at the time, he reported the theft to police and we spent the next year or so keeping an eye on trademe, wreckers etc, but nothing turned up.

The bike is now red with a horrible home made paint job (originally blue) and has a few bits missing, but mechanically seems okay. Odometer has increased only ~3000km (in 4 years) so possible it was stored for sometime after theft. No attempt had been made to disguise or remove/replace VIN.

Rider is claiming he only recently purchased and had no idea the bike was stolen, however his story is full of inconsistencies - the bike had a number plate from a car that had been modified to remove the last number. He said he bought it in ChCh, however he was caught speeding in BOP, only 30km from where it was stolen. However police said unlikely he will be processed for receiving stolen goods as "probably too long ago"... At least traffic fines from incident will be significant, and bike was confiscated on the spot. Even if innocent, he is an idiot, speeding on a bike with no mirrors and an obviously bodged number plate.

On brightside, mate stoked to have bike returned (that R1 still his favourite bike he's owned to date) looking forward to returning it to former glory, and plans to keep (supplementing his ZX14).
    good news. thieves are generally dumb fucks so do illogical things.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
    good news. thieves are generally dumb fucks so do illogical things.
    Unfortunately you don't have to be very intelligent to stay a step or 2 ahead of the popo...

do whatever the fuck you please

just don't speed.......
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Street Triple
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Nice! Small victory all things considered. Going to put it back on the road or track?
    Keen to return it to road. Considers his ZX14 a tourer (replaced a ZX10), so looking forward to the more nimble R1 for Coro loops, etc.
    ...and I don't wanna die, just want to ride my motorcy...cle (Arlo Guthrie)

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    "However police said unlikely he will be processed for receiving stolen goods as "probably too long ago"... "

What kind of namby-pamby bullshit is this?
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    "However police said unlikely he will be processed for receiving stolen goods as "probably too long ago"... "

same kind of namby pamby BS as our courts overturning a schools disciplining of a couple of spoilt brats from st bedes college.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Hang the fucks, the bike thieves and the stupid rowers, get the justice system out of our schools, no business being there.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Hang the fucks, the bike thieves and the stupid rowers, get the justice system out of our schools, no business being there.
    Thank you Adolf. If ever there was a place that begged for external review by the judiciary, in my experience it is schools.

If the justice system has, as you put it, no place in our schools, what place does it have anywhere in society? I think you're thinking too small. Why should we extend the benefits of our justice system to people of different ethnicities than ourselves? those professing different relgions. Why, indeed extend it to women or children? Really, it should be kept for the people who deserve it: the white, the male, the middle class and up.

Twat.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2000, Suzuki GSX 1200y "Inazuma"
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    If ever there was a place that begged for external review by the judiciary, in my experience it is schools.
    I agree the the reach of the justice system shouldn't be limited. Unfortunately in this case the justice system is being used by the rich so they can avoid consequences. Most kids don't get to overturn bans on participating in a sports event, especially not if the ban was a result of behaviour significantly bad enough to warrant a police call-out. The recent cases of school punishments being overturned hasn't been any great moral victory, rather it has been showcasing the fact that in New Zealand the rules don't apply as long as your daddy is rich enough to buy you out of trouble.

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post

What Viff said. Four years isn't that long, it's not like the US where statutes of limitations apply. More likely it's too hard to prove the guy did the theft because he'd be so bright as to not leave fingerprints or whatever behind… Ahem.
    It’s diametrically opposed to the sanitised existence of the Lemmings around me in the Dilbert Cartoon hell I live in; it’s life at full volume, perfect colour with high resolution and 10,000 watts of amplification.

Thread Information