Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the police clamping down on lane splitting?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bsasuper View Post
    If you are lane splitting and you crash in NZ, its your fault, its called dangerous riding and that's what you could be charged with, your fault or not.
    Fault in an accident situation can be two sided. If those involved are BOTH at fault in some way ... BOTH can / will be charged. (at the discretion of the attending officer)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I had to do some splitting from Welly to Palmerston North on Friday. Mana to Otaki traffic doing a crawl so slow idd have been a clutchless wonder before trip end. I don't normally split unless its stationary traffic at lights but I also don't commute on the bike.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    I suspect the number one gripe by car drivers re lane splitting is when it is done at speed. By that I would consider anything above 50 "at speed" to travel between moving vehicles in a non-existent lane. Is it being in the wrong place at the wrong time when a cop just happens to see you or a pissed off driver *555ing you for doing 'dangerous stuff' ?
    As a rider I try to be aware of bikes splitting when I'm in the car but some come up pretty quickly and don't leave much wiggle room. I've also been in motorway traffic where cars are moving at 80/90kph and bikes still split. My sphincter has tightened a few times watching them play the odds with mere centimetres to clear the corner of a car or truck.
    Personally I've never been pulled over for it but would have to accept that if I was I've gotten away with it all those other times. A bit like speeding really.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    The Easter queue seemed happy to pull left to make room.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    but you won't catch me lane splitting - I'd rather be late timewise than be the Late Old Steve as in obituary wise..
    Lane splitting is safer than sitting in traffic. The best way to keep yourself safe is to be in control. If you're in a line of stop-start traffic you're at the mercy of the vehicle behind you.

Are you willing to put your life in the hands of some spaced out moron*?

*There's nothing to keep the mind going sitting behind the wheel in a motorway queue.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    CB1300

Are the police clamping down on lane splitting?

14 years lane splitting in Akl and anywhere else I run into dense traffic.

If anything attitudes from enforcers has gotten better. Cars used to light me up but not stop me. Just waggle a finger.
    Nowadays they wave me on if I slow down for marked cars.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    CB1300

Are the police clamping down on lane splitting?

Fing tapatalk.

Bike
    2012 Indian Chief, 1947 Indian Chief
    I have been guilty of it when in heavy traffic at a standstill (Charlotte, Atlanta, DC) I know it is not safe when doing it (for me I am not that experienced, only been riding about 50 years), but when it is 40 degrees and yer throat feels like sandpaper, and sitting atop a 1900 CC air-cooled engine, "turn on the juice and turn the fucking thing loose" I say. I don't care what anyone else does, I am not being critical, just talking about me.

Bike
    2012 Indian Chief, 1947 Indian Chief
    PS, they will write you a ticket in a heartbeat if caught. In KALI they do it all the time (lane split)..

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Bikey cop around Greville pulled me this morning, not for splitting, or even riding in the bus lane briefly but for my dodgy plate (well aware of that). Turns out he's actually a good bugger and we ended up just chatting about bikes, gear and horns of all things for a while.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Bikey cop around Greville pulled me this morning, not for splitting, or even riding in the bus lane briefly but for my dodgy plate (well aware of that). Turns out he's actually a good bugger and we ended up just chatting about bikes, gear and horns of all things for a while.
    So that was you I saw as I was filtering up - I waved to both you and the Cop
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    We ended up discussing the bus lane, and he was firmly of the belief that we can use the bus lane on the motorway (obviously not the northern bus way), but that bit of bus lane from Greville to Constellation, and also the piece from Esmonde that goes around Onewa (he said go around it, don't try and cut back onto the motorway - and watch out for the bump around the corner). As far as he was concerned the loophole is quite clear about bikes not being "specifically excluded" when it says "bus only". Which is what I believe, but didn't want to chance my luck. He said if I get any shit then to refer to him (Constable Turner - Motorway policing unit). British fella.

He said my splitting was all good, and just said try keep it below 35km/h and wont be an issue - mentioned something that their boss has pretty much said just to ignore it as long as the speed is low and people are being sensible.

Bike
    A black one
    Quote Originally Posted by bsasuper View Post
    If you are lane splitting and you crash in NZ, its your fault, its called dangerous riding and that's what you could be charged with, your fault or not.
    What information are you basing this on?

I've talked to a handful of officers about the legality of lane splitting and they have each said that it is completely legal to do so. It's a bit of a grey area in the sense that there isn't clean cut rules as to maximum speed you can go, but I've never heard of a police officer saying that you could get charged with dangerous riding.

I've split on the southern motorway from Manukau to the city and back on weekdays without being stopped or talked to once by police officers in cars or on bikes. I've had one officer in a car wave at me to slow down as I rode past but this was just after a guy blasted past him doing 70kph whilst he was doing 20.

Bike
    Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    We ended up discussing the bus lane, and he was firmly of the belief that we can use the bus lane on the motorway (obviously not the northern bus way), but that bit of bus lane from Greville to Constellation, and also the piece from Esmonde that goes around Onewa (he said go around it, don't try and cut back onto the motorway - and watch out for the bump around the corner). As far as he was concerned the loophole is quite clear about bikes not being "specifically excluded" when it says "bus only". Which is what I believe, but didn't want to chance my luck. He said if I get any shit then to refer to him (Constable Turner - Motorway policing unit). British fella.

He said my splitting was all good, and just said try keep it below 35km/h and wont be an issue - mentioned something that their boss has pretty much said just to ignore it as long as the speed is low and people are being sensible.
    I saw a bike cop ride down the northern bus way once when I was waiting for a bus. It was raining quite heavily and he looked a bit miserable.

Interesting about using the motorway bus lanes though. I might try it sometime

Bike
    2015 Honda CBR300R
    I've only been riding 3 months now and commute each day from Albany to the city on SH1. Been lane splitting since I started and was told by the instructors I did my basic skills and general road practice with that lane splitting is fine, just don't be stupid with speed. Initially I wouldn't go above 30km/h and I still won't if traffic is stopped, but if its moving I will go up to 50km/h if they are doing say 20, but 50 is my cut off and I'll find a gap then.

Noticed the cops the last few weeks and had one look at me as I filtered the other day and then pull out and come behind me. Thought "here we go" so I pulled in and he went around me and got the car in front. Put his lights and sirens and the guy was oblivious, so he pulls round to his drivers door and sirens again and I then see this guy drop his phablet

FWIW yesterday in the pouring rain, I was doing 30 splitting when 2 bikes come behind me, I pull in a gap to let them past and its 2x scooters, look like 125's doing an easy 70km/h in stationry traffic! Nuts! Oh, and the guy this morning on a Triumph I think, doing god knows what speed on the shoulder near the centre!

Thread Information