Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the police clamping down on lane splitting?

Bike
    2010, Suzuki DR-Z400SM

Are the police clamping down on lane splitting?

Hi all,

For the past few weeks I've seen a lot of bikes pulled over by a motorcycle policeman on SH1 just past (or on) the Constellation Drive on-ramp (south bound), anyone know if they are being nabbed for lanesplitting/filtering or something else ?

Wondering if I should ease off on my lane splitting on that stretch in the mornings ... want to spend my money on more fun things :-)

Ta!

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    There's a couple of guys at work that ride that way (and lanesplit), and they've said that they've been slowed down by a cop on a bike, but not pulled over and/or ticketed.
    I've been communtering by bike on the Norfshaw for over 15 years, and I must say that in the first couple of years the cops were hammering bikers, but in the last few they seem to be ignoring lanesplitting and the like. I don't know if this is an actual thing (like they've been instructed to not worry about it), or they're too busy with more important stuff, or the increase in traffic means it's impractical to devote much effort to it.
    My advice to you is to carry on, but keep your speed down, and be careful and responsible about it.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I had a lovely chat with an Office in the location - Wasn't stopped, it was while we were riding tandem in Traffic:

"when the traffic hits 40 - find a gap"

I think this is one of those 'people complain about the speed of lane splitters' (I split higher than 40....) and so the police are having a word with Bikers - haven't heard of any tickets though.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Indian Scout

Is he a Ginga?

So that's where our most unpopular Cop has been transfered to. You boys in Auckland are welcome to him.

Haven't seen him for a month or so down here. He's a nasty vindictive type with an ego problem hiding behind a badge. Goes by many aliases; Ginger Infringer, Nauranga Nuisance, Motorway Menace, Infringement Inflictor, Penalty Punisher, Lane Enforcer.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...lane+splitting
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    little suzy, little ho
    MD - he is still in Wellington, lurking in the gorge. Had a "chat" with him the other day.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    I've just started splitting from Greville to town. Havne't seen a bike cop yet, but have been past two marked cars. THey didn't even blink. But I also split pretty sensibly and smoothly - so I doubt i'd attract attention. More likely to get spotted due the missus on the back with her crutches and broken foot!

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Here in QLD, the Government emphasises the difference between lane filtering (OK, allowed up to 30 km/hr in stationary or slow traffic) and lane splitting (not OK).

I'm in favour of Lane filtering, but you won't catch me lane splitting - I'd rather be late timewise than be the Late Old Steve as in obituary wise..

Bike
    Ducati 1198s
    If I get in an accident while lane splitting which isn't my fault. Am I automatically at fault because I'm lane splitting?

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by rua View Post
    MD - he is still in Wellington, lurking in the gorge. Had a "chat" with him the other day.
    Bugger. I'm lane splitting full time now with our congested M/W. Almost seems weird when I actually get to ride in the middle of a lane.

Can we start a collection to pay to have him shipped to Auckland?
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    2023 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    ...Can we start a collection to pay to have him shipped to Auckland?
    No thanks we don't want him... How about Gore?

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by khabel View Post
    If I get in an accident while lane splitting which isn't my fault. Am I automatically at fault because I'm lane splitting?
    Sounds like a tongue twister, she sells sea shells.
    Ciao Marco

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by khabel View Post
    Usually your at fault as its legal to overtake on the right side of the car but left side of the lane marker (overtaking within your lane).
    But in practice most cars travel too close the RH lane marker (so they can see down the line) and you end up undertaking the line of traffic on your right most of the time which is illegal.
    Putting it simply the slower you lane split, the less chance you will have of fucking up, or have time to see someone open their door or change lanes on you without warning.
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    CB750
    If you are lane splitting and you crash in NZ, its your fault, its called dangerous riding and that's what you could be charged with, your fault or not.

I have seen some marked police cars ,with about 100 cars,using the left lane emergency stopping lane on the northern south bound m/way to get to the exit in heavy traffic though, you bad popo you!

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Lane split every weekday for the last year from albany to town or highbrook and back in peak traffic time. Passed cop cars numerous times and they don't care. Passed motorcycle cops who choose not to lane split and they don't say/do anything. Lane split over the harbour bridge and cops haven't said anything either.
    Also lane split between cars going up to the on-ramp traffic lights with cops standing there watching some mornings.
    Great fun.

I do know however that a lot of bikers hoon up the constellation on ramp and also that cops like to do days where they pull bikers over for random checks (seen 3 or 4 in a day pulled over for checks, including myself that day).
    Nothing to worry about. Just worry about the idiots who change lanes without really looking. 3 close calls all happened between the constellation off ramp and a bit after the on ramp, people seem to suck at merging or changing lanes in that particular stretch of road.

Bike
    1992 VFR400R, 2007 SV650 Pro Twin
    I've seen a lot of bike cops on the Northern heading into town in the mornings the past few weeks. Making me edgy. They often had motorcycles pulled over. Stay aware of the cops, they can just say careless use and you're donesky.

I think there has been a blitz, but the last week I didn't see many. I had one point at me when I went past while he was dealing with another motorcyclist.

Thread Information