Thread: Removing a link Tiger 800xc chain?

Bike
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800

Removing a link Tiger 800xc chain?

Hi guys and girls, I am looking to get a link removed in my chain as it's a little stretched and not much more room left to adjust tension without the wheel dropping off! Anyone know a good option (read cheap) in Rangiora rather than going through the dealer? Note: I am not mechanical and certainly don't have the tools to do it myself....

Thanks

Bike
    Suzuki RG400 Yamaha ST125 Yamaha TDR250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinboy View Post
    Hi guys and girls, I am looking to get a link removed in my chain as it's a little stretched and not much more room left to adjust tension without the wheel dropping off! Anyone know a good option (read cheap) in Rangiora rather than going through the dealer? Note: I am not mechanical and certainly don't have the tools to do it myself....

Thanks

If it is stretched that much you need a new chain

If you remove a link you will just delay the inevitable which is it flies off at some very inconvenient moment making you an instant pedestrian
    "more than two strokes is masturbation"
    www.motoparts-online.com

Bike
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800
    Quote Originally Posted by gammaguy View Post
    If it is stretched that much you need a new chain

If you remove a link you will just delay the inevitable which is it flies off at some very inconvenient moment making you an instant pedestrian
    Thanks, it was the recomendation from the dealer hence the question, if it's too risky I will go back to them and get a chain.
    Thanks

Bike
    Various
    Thanks, it was the recomendation from the dealer hence the question, if it's too risky I will go back to them and get a chain.
    Thanks
    I'll second what gammaguy said and add that if you are going to replace the chain, check and if necessary, replace the sprockets at the same time and don't skimp on quality of chain & sprockets.

This might give you a few pointers: http://www.bikebandit.com/community/...-and-sprockets

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    CB1300
    If chain is that stretched and still on your sprockets are fucked. Assuming it has the right size chain in the first place.

If you look at the sprocket the teeth will look more like the rip curl logo waves than pyramids.
    Also if that loose it will have been whipping around. If you don't replace your sprockets your new chain will be your old one in less than 10,000 kms. You should get > 60,000 out of a quality set properly maintained.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    Depends on the ride.
    The message is pretty clear here. New chain and sprockets.

Do maintain the chain with regular cleaning, lubing and adjustment and it will last many times as long as a neglected chain.
    Failure to look after the chain can cause premature wearing and the chain snapping.
    Sometimes this causes major, expensive damage to cases and usually occurs without warning.

Have a look at your book and the bike and work out just what you require and do some surfing around as prices do vary
    depending on where you spend your $$.

Bike
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800
    Thanks guys, the chain has only done 12,000 kms so will check out the sprockets and see what needs doing. I was surprised it had "stretched" that much with such little use....

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, the chain has only done 12,000 kms so will check out the sprockets and see what needs doing. I was surprised it had "stretched" that much with such little use....
    Plenty of roadworks / dirt / crap on the roads in the Christchurch area that WILL attach itself to a properly lubricated chain..

Remember the old saying ... it DOES get in ... ??

Do not ignore the chain. The problems will NOT just go away.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I have done 18,000 km on my new strom and only had to adjust the chain once! Are you really hard on your gear for it to have stretched that much? Something does not sound right in this story incl your dealers advice to just chop the chain to make it shorter.
    Can you post a pic of the chain and sprockets?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    pedantic I know, but chains don't "stretch" as such. It's all the wear between the pins and the bushes that accounts for the extra length.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information