Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ticket for lifting front wheel?

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet 250

Ticket for lifting front wheel?

G'day all,

Yesterday while out for a ride with my good mate, he accelerated away from a set of lights a little too eagerly and lifted the front wheel. We were at the front of the lights and there was no other traffic on our side of the rode so I guess you could say it was "safe", anyway Mr Policeman must have been on the opposite side of the road and hooked a u-turn and promptly pulled us/him over.

Now the question I have is is this actually illegal? That is the lifting of the front wheel, it would have been for 1 maybe 2 seconds max and not even past 45*, not like he was at 12oclock or holding it for a long period or anything. The cop threatened him with 28 day impoundment under the "Boy Racer Act" not even sure if that is possible? He wasn't racing or losing traction or anything like that.

In the end he was given a fine for "Operated in manner likely to cause annoyance" what does that even mean? And how the hell do you subjectively test/measure that? Seems like a bs cop out (excuse the pun) because they couldn't actually ticket him for anything. The only info I can find relating to that is this:
    In addition, the Traffic Regulations 1976 specify vehicle standards and prohibit a range of undesirable
    driving behaviours such as driving in a manner likely to cause annoyance and creation of excessive noise.

So a 1976 law being used to dish out instant $600 fines, that's more than running a red light, texting while driving, and even doing 40kmh over the speed limit! Just seem ludicrous to me

The other question I have is is this worth contesting? Seems like one of those ones they just give out and expect you not to challenge them on and make an easy $600 off you, on the flipside could he have been let off lightly? Is there any possibility of being charged with careless or even reckless driving just for a small lift of the front wheel/wheelie?
    We also noticed the officer left the time of the ticket is that something that can get him off?

I had a quick search and managed to find this thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...heelie+penalty which has some good info but then tails off into which whisky is best... haha.

Anyway any advice or insight is much appreciated

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    Suck it up princess!

FFS!

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    He didn't get a ticket for doing a wheelie, more for the excessive acceleration that would have been needed to do it and the associated noise.
    Did he cop an attitude with the cop? It is the holiday road toll period expect to have to reign in your normal riding a bit. He very well could have been charged with unnecessary exhibition of speed or same with acceleration.
    What would you think of say two boy racer subarus side by side at lights and one takes off at similar pace??? Yes some bikes wheelie easy but a good rider can switch it on or off easy....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    S1000RR

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80a4b69e88feec35eda539b7f41efd5043afa936f8946aa5235442e64c54fe80.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	310498  

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CRACKATTACK View Post
    The other question I have is is this worth contesting? Seems like one of those ones they just give out and expect you not to challenge them on and make an easy $600 off you, on the flipside could he have been let off lightly? Is there any possibility of being charged with careless or even reckless driving just for a small lift of the front wheel/wheelie?
    We also noticed the officer left the time of the ticket is that something that can get him off?

Anyway any advice or insight is much appreciated
    A certain member from Oamaru lost his license for a few months for the same thing.

No consistency in policing nowdays ... dammit ...

Advise ... ??? quit whinging ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure

Umm, stupid me thinks!

He or you didn't even look to see who or what was on the road? at the time?
    before he did this stupid action?

Talk about situational awareness and motorcycle riding! Duh!

Suck it up and pay, FFS, if you are going to do wreckless things at intersections when cops are around, expect to be caught...

No sympathy here although maybe a legal loophole, naa....
    If the reg fits and details fit, then he was there irrespective of the time right?

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    So a 1976 law being used to dish out instant $600 fines
    And that means fuck all.....
    We still have laws here even older than that!

Count himself lucky the idiot didn't have to walk...

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet 250
    Haha should have expected these sort of replies, let me clarify a few things, the speed limit wasn't broken, excessive noise? Possibly but that's subjective and the bike has passed a wof with no questions asked of the exhaust noise levels. Also their was no attitude given, he just apologised for lifting the front wheel and was respectful and well mannered, also I was not side by side racing him, I was in the same lane just slightly back and to the right of him.

So what actually justifies "a manner likely to cause annoyance"? I'm not saying what he did was right but to hit him with that large of a fine for the minimal lift of the front wheel seems out of whack to me. Surely a warning or a fine of $200 or so with demerits would be a more reasonable option?

A guy on a big single or torquey bike can easily pop the wheel up by being a bit overzealous with the gas but if they drop it down rather than keeping it in the air surely that shows you're not trying to deliberately do it? Kinda like sustained loss of traction and how if you start to spin your wheels but back off they usually won't have a go at you for it.

It just seems like a bit of a bend over and take it situation because we're the Police and what we say is gospel don't ask any questions.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Haha should have expected these sort of replies, let me clarify a few things, the speed limit wasn't broken, excessive noise? Possibly but that's subjective and the bike has passed a wof with no questions asked of the exhaust noise levels. Also their was no attitude given, he just apologised for lifting the front wheel and was respectful and well mannered, also I was not side by side racing him, I was in the same lane just slightly back and to the right of him.

So what actually justifies "a manner likely to cause annoyance"? I'm not saying what he did was right but to hit him with that large of a fine for the minimal lift of the front wheel seems out of whack to me. Surely a warning or a fine of $200 or so with demerits would be a more reasonable option?

A guy on a big single or torquey bike can easily pop the wheel up by being a bit overzealous with the gas but if they drop it down rather than keeping it in the air surely that shows you're not trying to deliberately do it? Kinda like sustained loss of traction and how if you start to spin your wheels but back off they usually won't have a go at you for it.

It just seems like a bit of a bend over and take it situation because we're the Police and what we say is gospel don't ask any questions.
    Wait till Katman gets here.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Wait till Katman gets here.
    Katman's been and gone.

Looks like the rest of you have this one covered.

Bike
    TF125
    A guy on a big single or torquey bike can easily pop the wheel up by being a bit overzealous with the gas but if they drop it down rather than keeping it in the air surely that shows you're not trying to deliberately do it?
    Like when you only stick the very tip of your cock in?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Haha should have expected these sort of replies, let me clarify a few things,
    Expected .. ??? (but still posted) Do you want to clarify .. or make excuses ... ???

the speed limit wasn't broken,
    The Land Transport Act covers more than the speed limit. It is not the only (and overriding) piece of legislation motorists are subject to.

excessive noise? Possibly but that's subjective and the bike has passed a wof with no questions asked of the exhaust noise levels.
    The charges the Officer at the scene chooses to make ... is at his/her discretion. In possession of a current WOF is seldom a safeguard to prevent any other charges being laid ... at best ... other issues being ignored. (as in this case)

Also their was no attitude given, he just apologised for lifting the front wheel and was respectful and well mannered,
    This may account for lesser charges ... than could have been given.

also I was not side by side racing him, I was in the same lane just slightly back and to the right of him.
    He (and you) would have been walking with his (and your) bike impounded if you were ... or suspected you were.

He got off lightly. Get over it.

Tell him to buy a GN250. Then it will never happen again.

It IS ... is you get caught.

.................................................. ....
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1992 VFR400R, 2007 SV650 Pro Twin
    Why have bitching softcocks taken over this forum. When did pulling a wheelie become idiotic? I can ride a fucking unicycle. My UZ125 scooter is one of the easiest to wheelie bikes I've ridden. If you think pulling a wheelie is dangerous you better stay in bed gramps.

You're all so fucking high and mighty, live a little.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Waihou Thumper View Post
    And that means fuck all.....
    We still have laws here even older than that!

Count himself lucky the idiot didn't have to walk...
    like the imperial laws application act which ratifies the magna carta.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    ps. The right to pull sick 12s and lay fat patches is affirmed in the magna carta.

Thread Information