Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sidestand doesn't inspire confidence

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi cowboy View Post
    And that upse you didn't it cos you only bought the r6 to get the little guy didn't you?.
    You quoted one of my typo's ... actually I meant to say ... I came with a Japanese chick ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    You quoted one of my typo's ... actually I meant to say ... I came with a Japanese chick ...
    Is the "with" another typo that should have been "in"? just checking
    winding up stucky since ages ago

Bike
    Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by Katiepie View Post
    I have an '08 R6. The guy who did my last WOF tried to turn the bike on the stand (in front of me) and the stand snapped and the bike was on the ground. Didn't have the cash for a new stand so have had that one repaired, re-welded and strengthened. Not sure if it's the original stand or not. But it didn't seem to cope too well with the added pressure on it.

Um, why did you have to pay for someone elses fuck up?

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    I have an '08 R6. The guy who did my last WOF tried to turn the bike on the stand (in front of me) and the stand snapped and the bike was on the ground. Didn't have the cash for a new stand so have had that one repaired, re-welded and strengthened. Not sure if it's the original stand or not. But it didn't seem to cope too well with the added pressure on it.
    Wonder if the 08 R6 stand is same as the 05. That's the problem I thought I might run into.
    That video of the guy doing it to his R6 is what made me ask this question in the first place.
    It's just so flexy! The stand when you put it down first slides away from the bike, I guess to give a more stable position, but it's the flex that is unnerving.

Anyway it's a good discussion, interesting to hear some first hand experience about it breaking. katiepie what part of the stand broke and did the person who repaired it have anything to say about it?

Bike
    R6
    Quote Originally Posted by biketimus_prime View Post
    Wonder if the 08 R6 stand is same as the 05. That's the problem I thought I might run into.
    That video of the guy doing it to his R6 is what made me ask this question in the first place.
    It's just so flexy! The stand when you put it down first slides away from the bike, I guess to give a more stable position, but it's the flex that is unnerving.

Anyway it's a good discussion, interesting to hear some first hand experience about it breaking. katiepie what part of the stand broke and did the person who repaired it have anything to say about it?
    It snapped a few cm's above the foot. To be honest don't think it would have ever happened if someone hadn't tried to turn the bike on it with the full weight on it in a way it's not designed to hold. But then again not so flash that it snapped when others turn their bikes on the stands no issues. It's not something I would do myself so don't think it will be a concern again. The angle the bikes sit on in the wind when parked on the stand shouldn't cause too much concern. A little flex in it mind you would not give me much confidence in it either.

I was super happy that I had put crash bungs on it - guy blamed my quality of stand, I paid for repair - no biggie. Not too worried about it happening again, wont let anyone turn it on the stand. My repair might have a weak point but that's the risk I take with a repaired stand. That one is on me.

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Well doesn't look like it'll be doing those sidestand turns then. Gonna check out the sidestands of newer R6s when I get the chance and see if they're better.
    I just feel like it's a ticking time bomb where it'll fail after so many cycles of flexing.

Bike
    A blue one
    It snapped a few cm's above the foot. To be honest don't think it would have ever happened if someone hadn't tried to turn the bike on it with the full weight on it in a way it's not designed to hold. But then again not so flash that it snapped when others turn their bikes on the stands no issues. It's not something I would do myself so don't think it will be a concern again. The angle the bikes sit on in the wind when parked on the stand shouldn't cause too much concern. A little flex in it mind you would not give me much confidence in it either.

I was super happy that I had put crash bungs on it - guy blamed my quality of stand, I paid for repair - no biggie. Not too worried about it happening again, wont let anyone turn it on the stand. My repair might have a weak point but that's the risk I take with a repaired stand. That one is on me.
    Id be smacking the wof guy around the back of the head for being a dick more so if the tweeter couldn't pay for repairs.
    Mind you the local VTNZ hates my guts anyway, more so when you can quote chapter and verse back at them for
    stupid stuff

Thread Information