Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Querying a speed ticket - should I expect to receive proof of the radar reading?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    irregardless, steve, of your position on the english language and its abuses, your knowledge of pop culture is shit.
    The word you search (in vain) for is irrelevant ... which in context ... your post is ....
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Sure the example I give is in the extreme but for it to be completely objective it mustn't be prone to human error or operatator bias.
    The only way to make it completely objective is to remove the human.
    It was an arguement made from false equivalence and you know it.

Sure the laser could be linked to a DB and have a camera mounted reasonably easily but then we might as well save the money by taking the humans out all together and invest in more camera vans.
    The result would be the same, eventually.

A key policing philosophy should in my humble opinion be to use their discretion to attain the best probability of a reduction in offending.
    I have no problem with there being a Human element - however the Word of the Human MUST be backed up by objective proof.

I do agree that office Discretion is vital - and that at times it is in the public interest for a blind eye to be turned - having evidence to backup a claim doesn't invalidate this as a possibility - it just means that when a positive claim is made, the same level of proof is required as for any other crime

P.S. Your sworn testimony is evidence also, however you have more to gain by misrepresenting the truth than a police officer in the specific case of a speeding ticket (as opposed to a case of covering their own arse)
    Cool - so in that case, if I present sworn testimony, the officer presents sworn testimony And no other evidence what so ever - then the ticket will be dismissed as the evidence is not sufficient for proove the positive claim - because I suspect that doesn't happen and this is the crux of the issue.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    FWIW, I've been in the job for 27 years, and I've witnessed very, very few dodgy ones.

Some seriously incompetent, some plain lazy, but not many really dodgy ones.
    Do you know what the difference between Incompetent and dodgy is?

Intent.

And that is it - a Dodgy cop will pull you out of malice, an incompetent one will pull you out of stupidity. All I am saying is that let them present the same level of evidence that would be expected in any other crime when writing a ticket.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    FWIW, I've been in the job for 27 years, and I've witnessed very, very few dodgy ones.

Some seriously incompetent, some plain lazy, but not many really dodgy ones.
    You've probably been looking in the wrong places.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Thanks for posting something actually helpful and not calling me a cunt. Have you actually gone to court to contest a ticket?

Are you sure there is no record of the radar readings?

For the record I probably was going over the limit but cant be sure as my eyes tend to be focussed on whats ahead and around me not what my speedo is reading. If I was speeding then it was not excessive and was safe and appropriate for the conditions.

For those that claim I should just accept it and pay up ill leave for you to do. If the officer claims i was doing a certain speed fine ill pay up as soon as i see some evidence confirming my crime aside from his word. Until then im innocent until proven guilty. Thats why all infringement notices say "alleged infringement".
    i havent read every post of this thread but i have been to court to argue against a speeding ticket at about 6 am xmas eve morning on the way to work.I was going 60 k in a 50.There was not anuy other car in sight,it was fine.it was light,my bike has a warant ,i was not drunk,it was a short area of undeveloped urban area(so NO side traffic) but i got a ticket,the magitrate accepeted that my arguments were fair,but were no excuse....he asked me if i knew i was "speeding" i said yes ,bang,fine

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    .he asked me if i knew i was "speeding" i said yes ,bang,fine
    dumbass.

deny deny deny.

Bike
    aprilia Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    And you were making sense up til the end there. CAB are generally not legally trained. So if he wants free legal advice then he wants a Community Law Centre not CAB. Reading your 'you will get no clarity here' makes sense in context of the sentence
    Sometimes they are. Quite a few lawyers volunteer at cab's, including my ex
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen" Douglas Adams (1952-2001) - not riding a TUONO then!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    I dont need to claim i am innocent because no evidence has been produced that i am guilty of an offence. This is not a religious state we are not born sinners
    An accusation usually requires/expects ... an admission of (or denial) of guilt. Neither have you given.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    dumbass.

deny deny deny.
    No .. just no admission of wrongdoing.

ADMIT nothing. (to the cop)

Bike
    2007 Triumph Sprint ST
    Blog Entries
    It's a funny thing that when a police man appears in court on a charge that he demands proof beyond reasonable doubt from the prosecutor. They are not prepared to simply accept the word of a prosecuting policeman as the truth. Seems to be one rule for you and one for them.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I was once issued with the dodgiest speeding ticket you could ever imagine.

Then the cop proceeded to lie under oath in court.

There are some out there who will do and say whatever it takes to make a charge stick.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I was once issued with the dodgiest speeding ticket you could ever imagine.

Then the cop proceeded to lie under oath in court.

There are some out there who will do and say whatever it takes to make a charge stick.
    It's entirely possible that you are entirely correct. I ain't arguing that.

But it's more likely that, right or wrong, the ticket writer believed that you were doing what he wrote the ticket out for. As such, it's not a lie, as he believes it to be true.

Being wrong and lying are two different things.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    It's entirely possible that you are entirely correct. I ain't arguing that.
    Dude, I'm sure you have the ability to research the IPCA record of Constable Colin Randle Mower.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    But it's more likely that, right or wrong, the ticket writer believed that you were doing what he wrote the ticket out for. As such, it's not a lie, as he believes it to be true.
    Do some research.

You'll be appalled at the level of his lying.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Do some research.

You'll be appalled at the level of his lying.
    I left the job a year ago. No longer do I care.

Thread Information