Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: More detail on the new Africa Twin

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    You can set up a new 690 for a bit less than the cost of the cheapest AT and you will get ABS, slipper clutch, couple of map adjustments, better suspended and some "character".... plus a more off road focused advbike.
    I'm leaning more towards something road focused that can handle mild off road stuff and with good power for dealing to cars/traffic on our big hills. After finding out about the KTMs fuel tank use as rear subframe I'm wondering about long term durability for carring a lot of gear on the back.
    And to be honest 95% of the places we go around here you don't even need anything close to the KTM's ability... but damn they look trick...
    Just when I've nearly made up my mind I'm waiting for work contract to sort itself out to make sure ive got gas money now damnit..... And the cage need a few things done too....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by vegeman View Post
    Was good to have another comparison ride, with a competent jockey riding the big AT. They are a nice package, and it went surprisingly well on the dirt/gravel. Certainly better than the F800,

We did a top gear roll on drag and the AT would pull ahead but honestly...the single piston on the 690 (which is still 650) was not embarrassed , ie after hitting 178k...the AT wasn't that far away. I think the AT being a 1000cc should be embarrassed Yet, on the dirt road...I think it also went better than it should - I could see it's pedigree and its value. The big torquey motor allows really good control out of the corners so it can force the bike where you need it.
    I think that's the whole attraction of the AT package, a little bit less so its actually controllable and useable for 90% of people in real world. Looking at those ariel reinmann vids, how many people could hustle and 1190 like that off road, and also where could you use its potential without getting yourself into legal or lethal consequences.

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    I'm leaning more towards something road focused that can handle mild off road stuff and with good power for dealing to cars/traffic on our big hills. After finding out about the KTMs fuel tank use as rear subframe I'm wondering about long term durability for carring a lot of gear on the back.
    And to be honest 95% of the places we go around here you don't even need anything close to the KTM's ability... but damn they look trick...
    Just when I've nearly made up my mind I'm waiting for work contract to sort itself out to make sure ive got gas money now damnit..... And the cage need a few things done too....
    yup, that's why there's an XC in my garage....time to slow down and take things a little easier before I really break something
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    yup, that's why there's an XC in my garage....time to slow down and take things a little easier before I really break something
    I'd have thought that would be the opposite thing. that lil beast felt like a nimble mountain bike with an engine attached, would lead to an inclination to ne jumping off stuff lol... The AT's lardiness will be a good excuse to chicken out of dangerous stuff and feral activities like rivier crossings when there a civilised bridge available

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    yamaha is supposed to be bringing out an adventure bike based on MT-07 in 2017 / back to the Tenere style
    Yup, XT 700Z. I'm expecting an XT 660 with a perky 700cc twin motivating it. Can't wait!

IIRC a thread showing prototype pics has already been started.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    On the production line....

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Some cool action shots in here

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Don't get it these bikes are overweight road tourers that are hardly ever going to be ridden like in video by 99% of owners which is clearly sped up in places to make it look better.

There must be more money to be made by manufacturers to make these expensive monsters than genuine light weight bikes so the marketing machine keeps telling you how good they are off road.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by pomgolian View Post
    Don't get it these bikes are overweight road tourers that are hardly ever going to be ridden like in video by 99% of owners which is clearly sped up in places to make it look better.

There must be more money to be made by manufacturers to make these expensive monsters than genuine light weight bikes so the marketing machine keeps telling you how good they are off road.
    Prob 100% right. But that's what the punters and people like me want. Something that can eat up road miles comfortably, carry a lot of gear and handle some slightly challenging terrain on occasion. Effectively the SUV of the biking world.
    I would love a lightweight 500-800cc adventure bike but looking at other bikes in that class how long will the engine life/service intervals be and payload of gear without majorly affecting the handling you bought it for in first place.
    I'm willing to have a heavier bike if it has the poke to see of cages fully loaded on the bigger climbs on the taupo rd. Nothing worse than having some brake dancing SUV overtake the loaded DR up passing lanes only to dick around in front of you through the corners.
    95% of "adventure' riding in NZ is predominantly on gravel roads as far as roaming from the Hb region is concerned.

Anyway im holding off til next genreration on one of these after seeing few issues crop up.... Maybe Marty will convince me to go KTM....

Bike

Why worry about what anyone else chooses to ride?

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Prob 100% right. But that's what the punters and people like me want. Something that can eat up road miles comfortably, carry a lot of gear and handle some slightly challenging terrain on occasion. Effectively the SUV of the biking world.
    I would love a lightweight 500-800cc adventure bike but looking at other bikes in that class how long will the engine life/service intervals be and payload of gear without majorly affecting the handling you bought it for in first place.
    I'm willing to have a heavier bike if it has the poke to see of cages fully loaded on the bigger climbs on the taupo rd. Nothing worse than having some brake dancing SUV overtake the loaded DR up passing lanes only to dick around in front of you through the corners.
    95% of "adventure' riding in NZ is predominantly on gravel roads as far as roaming from the Hb region is concerned.

Anyway im holding off til next genreration on one of these after seeing few issues crop up.... Maybe Marty will convince me to go KTM....
    Yeah your dead right on all the above if that's what you use it for but doing jumps with panniers and top box

Marty will probably agree on your reasons after buying the Triumph

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Ah - on these bikes is it don't worry about getting your knee down - get your pannier down on a corner.

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Why worry about what anyone else chooses to ride?
    Hi Tazz I'm not worried about what other people ride and not against big bikes hell I owned a few GSs and toured most of the U.K, Ireland and parts of Europe it was more directed at how the video was portraying it as a bike you could treat as a lightweight trail bike.

One day maybe they will make better midsize lightweight bikes with longer service intervals and longevity for the likes of myself a mere mortal

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Hi Tazz I'm not worried about what other people ride and not against big bikes hell I owned a few GSs and toured most of the U.K, Ireland and parts of Europe it was more directed at how the video was portraying it as a bike you could treat as a lightweight trail bike.

One day maybe they will make better midsize lightweight bikes with longer service intervals and longevity for the likes of myself a mere mortal
    With the new fad for 800 -900cc engines it may be possible that lighter, just as capable on road but more comfortable off road bikes start appearing.

Having said that how are the sales of the Triumph 800's going ? Is this not the on/off road bike you speak of?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Yeah your dead right on all the above if that's what you use it for but doing jumps with panniers and top box

Marty will probably agree on your reasons after buying the Triumph
    Holy Catfish Batman!!! I better get out to Hav' Nth with some bourbon and classy strippers (the kind the Cheifs are too cheap for) and avert a biketastrophe.
    I once too lusted for the XC800 but then I sought professional help...
    On a sidenote I've been winter cleaning and re read some 2006 circa edition Fastbikes mag and pretty much the same said about the the then new KTM 990....

Thread Information