Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: More detail on the new Africa Twin

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Also, after a days exploring and you are miles from home you can sit in your armchair and just soak up the miles riding home. Except for the fuel bill the old GS is great for the long range missions.
    Yep. A big day out is not so great of your knackered when you get home or not looking forward to the last leg... That's what keeps the SRAD away from the scrapheap. Even though its sportsbike, its still relatively comfortable coming home after big miles and the excess horsepower allows boredom relief when needed
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Aussie bloke, watch his other vid overview walkaround good detail on interesting extras. Those crash bars look better than the Honda towel rails...

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Just been 'windows'" (sic) shopping on the internet....
    Vital modifications I would consider must haves as detailed below add up to $2900 NZD without shipping costs.
    These include;
    Full Termignoni system, SW Motech crashbars, BB bash plate, BB Luggage rack rear, BB radiator guard.

But after that one mean setup.... hmmm better go buy lotto ticket, only seen two second hand bikes come up on TM so far.....

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    peered through Ericson Hondas window this afternoon on the way back from Wairoa.....they still got both AT's on the shop floor. Would have thought the white one would have sold by now given the talk from the sales guy of back orders being held up cos an Earth Quake had disabled the AT factory.
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Would not waste coin on a full system - just a slip-on if you want some growl.

Honda must be pissed - after years of ho-hum bikes they produce something people say they really want then the plant gets stuffed.....

May as well tool up for the second gen version!

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Would not waste coin on a full system - just a slip-on if you want some growl.

Honda must be pissed - after years of ho-hum bikes they produce something people say they really want then the plant gets stuffed.....

May as well tool up for the second gen version!
    Also weight loss and getting rid of the CAT... mmmmm titanium (if I win lotto)

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    hhhmmmmmmmm custom 35L alloy tank right about exhaust pipes...........

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Granted my attempt wasn't as flash, but having an auxiliary tank on my KTM 990SM was a PITA. It was T'd into the main fuel line and gravity fed, but wasn't consistent. Sometimes it would draw first leaving the primary tank till last (nice), sometimes the main tank would empty first then the secondary kicked in (ok) and sometimes it wouldn't draw from the secondary at all even with the primary empty. On that note I wasn't in a happy mood to run out of fuel in the CBD motorway at night, with a full tank of gas behind me being ignored.

While it's heavy full, just the GSA tank makes life a lot easier, although I was also considering speed of fuel delivery, and stopping to transfer was equivalent to just stopping at a gas station anyway, with less messing around trying to transfer fuel (assuming there was a station).

Also, you typically pack to the rear of the bike, so having the fuel up front left more space/capacity/options for the rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Granted my attempt wasn't as flash, but having an auxiliary tank on my KTM 990SM was a PITA. It was T'd into the main fuel line and gravity fed, but wasn't consistent. Sometimes it would draw first leaving the primary tank till last (nice), sometimes the main tank would empty first then the secondary kicked in (ok) and sometimes it wouldn't draw from the secondary at all even with the primary empty. On that note I wasn't in a happy mood to run out of fuel in the CBD motorway at night, with a full tank of gas behind me being ignored.
    The American style trucks with twin fuel tanks share similar issues at time for a variety of reasons too. You wouldn't think that with 300 odd litres either side you'd end up with air locks or blockages but it happens occasionally....
    The guy in pic is planning a desert crossing so kind a makes sense, does look vulnerable though... Why I got an Acerbis for DR the $500 is worth it not to much about roadside securing containers and cleaning dust of everything before filling, oh and being in a sheltered non windy or rainy place to top up.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Was in Hamilton yesterday so had quick back to back compare of KTM vs Honda. The 1190 looks like a huge beast. A brand new KTM690 on floor looked SO SO GOOD.... Round the corner had a sit on an AT at Honda... Seems an appealing package.....

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Was in Hamilton yesterday so had quick back to back compare of KTM vs Honda. The 1190 looks like a huge beast. A brand new KTM690 on floor looked SO SO GOOD.... Round the corner had a sit on an AT at Honda... Seems an appealing package.....
    You can set up a new 690 for a bit less than the cost of the cheapest AT and you will get ABS, slipper clutch, couple of map adjustments, better suspended and some "character".... plus a more off road focused advbike.

BUT I'm reliable informed there's going to be an adventurised (i.e 21inch front wheeled) 1090 from Mr Mattacoffin neck year as well as the long awaited, much anticipated, over inflated, underrated, soon to be extricated 800adventure.....so might be worth holding on to the DR a bit longer. (not that I'm advocating being a first owner of a newly developed KTM given their infamous history of 1st production run lemons...08 530, 08 690, 07 990, 2013 1190, 2012 250 freeride....etc etc and so on and so forth.....theyz boyz got a bad habit of getting their loyal fan base to become part of the KTM development team for no pay! )
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    yamaha is supposed to be bringing out an adventure bike based on MT-07 in 2017 / back to the Tenere style

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I think Honda should maybe bring out a 650 Africa Twin as they no longer make the Transalp. Having ridden both bikes I did not find the Transalp any less torquey but the Africa Twin was smoother and more comfortable.

I think we live in interesting times. The Adventure world is awash with behemoth, over specced and over priced bikes. I mean. over priced if you can't afford one and they are a lot of bike if your into "whats up there?" riding.

The on line speculation is probably right, a lot of middle weight adventure bikes will appear over the next few years. It's a market with big potential.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E

wash your mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    owner of a newly developed KTM given their infamous history of 1st production run lemons...08 530, 08 690, 07 990, 2013 1190, 2012 250 freeride.... )
    how dare you say my beloved 08 690 is a lemon, Ill roost some juice in your face Ironically it's been the most reliable bike I've had. 60K on it an still hauls....but getting back on topic. Went riding with mate on AT yesterday and did some 250k's on mainly tarmac and gravel (wellington to white rock). Was good to have another comparison ride, with a competent jockey riding the big AT. They are a nice package, and it went surprisingly well on the dirt/gravel. Certainly better than the F800,

We did a top gear roll on drag and the AT would pull ahead but honestly...the single piston on the 690 (which is still 650) was not embarrassed , ie after hitting 178k...the AT wasn't that far away. I think the AT being a 1000cc should be embarrassed Yet, on the dirt road...I think it also went better than it should - I could see it's pedigree and its value. The big torquey motor allows really good control out of the corners so it can force the bike where you need it.

I'm also interesting in the ktm800 unicorn, and am happy to go first on it.
    ...back in the saddle, and getting a little!

Thread Information