Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS (the importance thereof)

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    They are handy in an unfamiliar city. I originally bought my bike GPS 'cause my Ducati speedo read 30kph slow and my mental arithmetic can be seriously mental, 'specially the high speed calculations. Luckily I found out about the discrepancy before the pointed it out.

Like a lot of technology it pays not to place total faith in it. If you just follow the suggested routes blindly you could have some really interesting (and probably unwanted) adventures. There are some KBers I know of that had first hand experience of this - and a long unplanned late night ride.

You should not concentrate on the screen. I had a really scary ride with a guy who tended to stare at his GPS. He was so intent on the screen he wasn't seeing anything outside the car.

And like the instructions say, don't muck about with the GPS while moving.

My experience with the GPS on the bike was such that I now have one in the car as well. Like radar detectors, most people who are against them haven't tried them so they aren't qualified to comment. If there was someone who had tried them and didn't like them I'd be interested to know why?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    I guess useful for those who leave home not really knowing where they are going or touring on secondary roads.
    This ....
    Also, definitely handy sometimes but fcukin frustrating at other times
    If you get one, get a decent one and use it lots, otherwise it'll end in utter hopelessness DAMHIK

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    Also, definitely handy sometimes but fcukin frustrating at other times
    If you get one, get a decent one and use it lots, otherwise it'll end in utter hopelessness DAMHIK
    I'm somewhere around 50/50. Sometimes it's fucken wrong and I'm sooo right.

Other times... well, I uh, wanted that adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Why sort of technological neanderthal would shun such a marvelous invention? Probably the same sort that doesn't belive in always riding with an ICE phone; which makes sense cos they are the same fucking thing nowadays
    must be a neanderthal then as i have neither, ICE equals total waste of time as my phone is always locked and if im injured i don't want some effen do gooder going through my phone and ringing the missus and stressing her out unnecessarily, and as an emergency first responder i don't go looking for and then through a persons cell phone. as for using a GPS i have to admit to being guilty of using the one on my phone to find my sisters place in auckland but apart from that our wee country is extremely well sign posted even if you are off the beaten tracks, just gotta have some idea of the next few places along the track

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    In New Zealand we're never far from a gas station
    Seen all the shut down service stations the last couple of decades ? We have a shit load less service stations around now, been caught out more than once planning to refuel at a gas station that had been there 60, 70 years, maybe even longer...and found them closed down. We need a bit more planning on fuel stops these days, when we used to be able to fill up anywhere, anytime.

I've been riding on back roads all my life, never with a map....I might look at a map before I go, but not on the road. Getting lost is half the fun.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Gps or even more specifically, sat nav, is only usefull occasionally as far as I care. I have one and only use it for big cities, the rest of the time it lives in a bottom drawer somewhere. A mapbook is far easier to navigate esp when there are a few of you arguing about where to go!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    XT660Z
    Used them in Europe quite a bit, very useful. Generally just the moving map, usually had an idea where I was heading.

Now use one in Asia. Would quite like two, one for the detailed view and another showing the wider view. I'm generally exploring very minor roads and two views would make navigation much easier. But can't justify it so one it is.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Personally, I have two main uses for a GPS

1. Getting around unknown cities, especially overseas, especially those with complex one way grids - you can't pull over to read a paper map, you need a very large scale paper map to show the one-way arrows, and a GPS is the fastest safest way to navigate to a bike shop or a hotel in a place like LA or New York.

2. Estimating the arrival time on a long journey; the ETA gets pushed back obviously with traffic delays and detours and stops for gas and that can be very useful.

(A minor advantage is getting accurate speed on tightly patrolled highways; not essential as once I learn the discrepancy between the bike speedo and actual speed I can adjust for that)

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Non essential but handy to have at times.
    I'm a big flag waver for paper maps too and planning beforehand.
    But a lot of times I've gotten somewhere or changed my route or there is a diversion etc... so I swallowed my pride and bought an Iphone.
    And its brilliant in those situations to check via an electronic map. I'm not too much into the whole plotting thing though
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Completely unnecessary for me, but I still have one. I'd like to swap it for a radar detector.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    A fast one
    I wil whip out the cell phone on the odd occasion to consult Google Maps on the best route to my destination. If I am just out for a weekend ride I will largely ride GPS free, unless I get lost somewhere

There is something freeing about trying to find your way out of the middle of nowhere when you don't have time constraints.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    On a group ride one time, we were heading from Taupo to Okoroire, but not up SH1. There is a more biker friendly way. Poihipi road/Kaahu road/Whakamaru road/Old Taupo road/Putaruru/Oko. We left in a split group with the lead rider of the first group having a GPS. Just before leaving it was decided that a few wanted a coffee stop at Whakamaru, but the lead rider went straight to Putaruru. When the second group got to Whakamaru, we wondered what the hell had a happened to the first group. They decided that Putaruru was a good place to stop for a caffeine top up.

Things can change while riding, but no so much if you’re governed by or rely on a GPS.

GPS does not allow for detour/sudden directional change/let’s stop here situations on a group ride, it’s keep going until Karen says ‘’you have reached you destination’’.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    On a group ride one time, we were heading from Taupo to Okoroire, but not up SH1. There is a more biker friendly way. Poihipi road/Kaahu road/Whakamaru road/Old Taupo road/Putaruru/Oko. We left in a split group with the lead rider of the first group having a GPS. Just before leaving it was decided that a few wanted a coffee stop at Whakamaru, but the lead rider went straight to Putaruru. When the second group got to Whakamaru, we wondered what the hell had a happened to the first group. They decided that Putaruru was a good place to stop for a caffeine top up.

Things can change while riding, but no so much if you’re governed by or rely on a GPS.

GPS does not allow for detour/sudden directional change/let’s stop here situations on a group ride, it’s keep going until Karen says ‘’you have reached you destination’’.
    There are other apps that can be useful in that scenario, check out Glympse: http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/r...cking/glympse/

I use GPS a lot, but 99% of the time to track where I have been rather than to navigate to where I am going. I track rides to share so that other adventure riders can find cool places to ride, e.g : http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/g...island-tracks/
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
    There are other apps that can be useful in that scenario, check out Glympse: http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/r...cking/glympse/

I use GPS a lot, but 99% of the time to track where I have been rather than to navigate to where I am going. I track rides to share so that other adventure riders can find cool places to ride, e.g : http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/g...island-tracks/
    Certainly, anywhere off the beaten track they would prove essential, at the very least for the point you raised.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Handy to accurately calibrate speedo healers.

Thread Information