Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: GPS (the importance thereof)

Bike
    3 black ones
    gps comes in handy for rides such as the dusty but - was still fun using a roll chart tho

i use mine on the gravel roads all the time - especially when finding new routes. also use in on the trike since the speedo is useless

taking coordinates for stolen cars at the river is also handy, or knowing exactly where you are if in trouble in the middle of nowhere

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overkill?.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	362.6 KB 
ID:	312071

I get lost when I'm having adventures on my moped sometimes.

So I doubled it's value by adding my GPS.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    All you need is a watch (or phone). Swing it around above your head then let it go. Wherever it went is west. From there not hard to work out where the other three points are.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    All you need is a watch (or phone). Swing it around above your head then let it go. Wherever it went is west. From there not hard to work out where the other three points are.
    Yep, heaps of things go west, it's probably inundated over there.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Cowboy's always knew where west was, I guess they use to look to the sky for direction. If it were cloudy, they would camp out and eat beans.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Learn to read a paper map. It doesn't go flat, need recharging or batteries or take up space in a pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Completely unnecessary - we coped extremely well for many years without the bloody things ..
    And yet here we are. On the internet. Which we coped extremely well for many years without.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    I place a high importance on the GPS. They're not essential but if you have one as another tool, why not use it....and if you're into distance/endurance riding like me, they make life so much easier.

All the mention of using maps for planning.....it's much easier to use mapping software then transfer it to the GPS unit.

I used to use notes taped to the dash for turns....much easier if Karen, or Emily advises, "In 1km, turn left on..." then, "In 300mtrs turn left on...." I no longer have to slow to read the street signs.

Accurate speed info is good. Music is good and don't have to worry about batteries going flat. ETA info is good. It's nice to have Moving Average and Overall Average speeds to assess progress against the plan. Very convenient to find and assess available fuel stops, or cafes if you're out of your area.

Tracklog is good if one wants to review a ride or check back what sort of average pace was made over a road.

Local knowledge is always good and one must remember that they are a tool and might not be sending you down the 'best' path, but that can be improved by having the preferences set right....and as long as guys like Gremlin continue to monitor and update the mapping software.

I often ride with the unit on the bike just for the music, speed info and tracklog if I'm on a club or local outing, then the ETA once I turn for home.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
    Yep, heaps of things go west, it's probably inundated over there.
    And full of Strines...

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    I just did a weekend ride up from Harbor City / South Beach LA, to Carmel / Salinas and back on different roads. The GPS is excellent for offering options and giving average speeds and arrival times. Of course I can still navigate with a map, I grew up with the cellulose product. But the helpfulness of the GPS when offering alternatives makes the ride much more fun - because you get options"on a plate". My GPS is hardwired but once set on my route, I usually switch it off until I get into metropolitan areas or areas of high traffic density, because I like to focus on the road and the sights around me. from my perspective, it's not either / or, it's about using the advantages of both options. When planning the next day's ride in a motel, the paper map is king. When on the road, the GPS is king. As always, YMMV...

Bike
    2016 Yamaha MT-10
    I'm a self confessed gadget freak so I've got the gps and radar feeding into my headset. Essential, no way but f**king cool. Love having all the information at my finger tips and enhances my ride experience.
    The gps does stay in the bag mostly when in commuter mode during the week so like most devices I think of them as just toys for big boys.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbyhorse View Post
    I was at Nikau Caves a couple of months ago and the owner was commenting on the number of cars and bikes that get into a bit of a panic when they realise there is no cell phone coverage out there and their smart phones have become a little less smart with no mapping capability.
    It isn't the phones that aren't smart!
    My phone has an app that uses a downloaded open source map of NZ, I need no network connection to use GPS navigating on my phone.

Mostly I leave my phone in my pocket when I ride, but I like the fact that I have it in case I need it.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I'm considering taking a toaster on the bike on future rides. Can't have too many gadgets.

If I come across any bears I'll ship up a round of honey on toast. Sorted.

Bike
    A couple of kwakas
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Lee View Post
    I'm a self confessed gadget freak so I've got the gps and radar feeding into my headset. Essential, no way but f**king cool. Love having all the information at my finger tips and enhances my ride experience.
    The gps does stay in the bag mostly when in commuter mode during the week so like most devices I think of them as just toys for big boys.
    Heh, I take it you mean radar detector not radar.

I'm into gadgets as my user name suggests and believe if technology is available then it's there to be used. However, I don't GPS much at all. I map out a ride before hand and go with the flow mostly.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I'm considering taking a toaster on the bike on future rides. Can't have too many gadgets.

If I come across any bears I'll ship up a round of honey on toast. Sorted.
    Some bikes are coming out with enough alternator power to run a fridge... you should consider one, keep the drinks cold
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information