Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Crash statistics

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    There's a critical mass point that folk need to know about.

When there are enough motorcycles on the road, people driving other vehicles will learn to factor them into their driving. Until that number is reached, people don't expect to see them.

It's kind of self defeating. Until there are enough, it's less safe. Coz it's less safe, less will take up the option of riding. If more took it up, it'd be more safe.

It's the same for cycling. The argument there is that if you build a safer infrastructure for urban cycling, it'll increase the safety, which will increase the numbers, which will increase the safety.

There's safety in numbers, but not so much in the pack riding around as a group. It's the general saturation of motorcyclists in the general motoring population.
    Although the Gubbermint and the AA are doing their best to keep motorcycling to a minimum.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post

Of those that ride - how many here can say that you ride your bike everyday, or that you consistently put in more than 10000 km a year on your bikes?
    I bought my 650 in 2007 with zero miles on the clock and my 1250 in 2009 with zero miles on the clock.

The speedo readings on both of my bikes indicate I have done a minimum of 127,000 in the last 8 years. (I sold a BMW in 2009, so I can't include the ks I did on that one between 2007 and 2009 - that's why the figure is a minimum).

So that's a minimum of 18,143 ks per year.

If I use those figures to estimate what I did on the BMW in two years (2007 to 2009) I get an average figure of more than 20,000 per year. And I know riders who would do more than double that in one year ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    Updated stats for 2014, let me know if you would like some more detail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crashstats.PNG 
Views:	26 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	322604

Thread Information