Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compulsory ABS

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Back in the day if we wanted a troll car with no AM radio we had to pay extra to have it removed.

This will go the same way. ABS will be sold as stock, and you'll have to pay to have it removed.

Bike
    Big money wasters
    It only seems like yesterday BMW launched there new K100 with ABS doing on track demonstrations at Manfeild . It was the Castrol 6hour or WSB can't remember age catching up with Me now. Soon You will not be able to buy a bike without ABS or traction control just like cars.
    Love My GS with power asstied ABS, 2 finger braking no foot brake. Makes one lazy .

Bike
    Big money wasters
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Back in the day if we wanted a troll car with no AM radio we had to pay extra to have it removed.

This will go the same way. ABS will be sold as stock, and you'll have to pay to have it removed.
    That's so the Traffic Officers would keep working instead of parking up and listing to the rugby score.
    Only a couple of days to go now, enjoy them.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGSER View Post
    It only seems like yesterday BMW launched there new K100 with ABS doing on track demonstrations at Manfeild . It was the Castrol 6hour or WSB can't remember age catching up with Me now. Soon You will not be able to buy a bike without ABS or traction control just like cars.
    Love My GS with power asstied ABS, 2 finger braking no foot brake. Makes one lazy .
    Sounds like a pretty good reason to not have ABS to me.
    I don't like technology that is so intrusive it changes your habits negatively.

How do they expect us to learn skills properly if they make all the tech compulsory?
    I don't want everything to stay in the. 1950s but I don't want us to turn into point at shoot riders either.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    I have rented a couple of motorcycles with ABS. The one time I needed it (sudden stop required by an idiot cager driver on a highway in Singapore) it performed very well, better than I am sure I could have, despite regular practice. If a kit were made available and it works, I would retrofit to my current motorcycle fleet as soon as feasible (and it is a bit perturbing to realize that I own seven motorcycles distributed across three continents :-) )!

Bike
    Street tracker
    I'm not keen on the idea of compulsory ABS, but I like my bikes (and cars) to be simple and easy for me to maintain. More electronics, computers and the like can mean more to go wrong, and more cost to fix.

In adverse conditions, ABS can make a difference although if you're on ice or a rally slippery surface, it doesn't help. It's disconcerting to feel the brakes pumping away and not experiencing any loss of speed. (Another bloody Volvo driver pulling out in front of me.)

It certainly has it's place, but teach people how to ride and stop properly, and not rely on electronic aids, first.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    oh it's coming alright, it's not coming from anywhere else but state funded number bods who only care about a number with the premise of "saving the country money" whilst taking a huge consultation fee to "fix" a problem that isn't there.

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan

Compulsory ABS

Meh, ABS should be like adult diapers, ya should never know their there until ya need em

Can't say I was a fan of ABS on bikes until getting me hands on the new model wee strom last year for a week, completely changed my view of it.

Hard case little beastie except for that wheezy feckin muffler. Managed to clocked up over 5hundy K's for the week. I put it through commuting, highway work, gravel roads and a lot of great back road twisty stuff.

I found the ABS by default after pushing things too hard on tight back road twisty stuff. After alot of faffing about with how the ABS interacted with what and how I was doing things in the tight stuff along with the mix of road surfaces found I could use the ABS to good advantage. Found I could push things being overly aggressive in the tight stuff that had the bike squirming about when entering corners. However, I still felt in control, and there be the point of difference. It made for feckin great for shits n giggles. It Really brought the fun factor back into back road scratching without the need for high terminal speeds. Had I been on either my old GSX1200 or CBR and riding in the same manner I dare say I would have come to grief.
    However on the highway and commuting different story, the ABS never factored in, even in the wet one morning. On the gravel I simply couldn't tell as I wasn't pushing things along hard enough for the ABS to operate.
    All in all I found the ABS was a bonus, not a detractor in riding. At the end of the day if bikes come out with ABS as standard, meh, no issue, ya get used to what ya get used to eh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    abs is fine, it's the pushing bikes out of the market which is BS. its the japanese emissions standard protecting their market share tactic...

goodbye drz/dr/klr/xr/wr/adventure riding on light cheap bikes..........

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    abs is fine, it's the pushing bikes out of the market which is BS.

goodbye drz/dr/klr/xr/wr/adventure riding on light cheap bikes..........
    Poohs, yeah ya raise a darn good valid point. Have a few mates with the good ole KLR, they like em a lot, primarily cos they are bang for buck adventure riding and touring.

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    So if it is so awesome, are we going to get ACC discount on ABS bikes?

Bike
    bike sold :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

It can't be legally removed, if the model of bike is fitted with ABS when it is imported in to NZ it has to stay fitted and functioning. If it is not working or fitted the bike is not WOF legal. The only way out of this is if the ABS control unit is not available or can't be repaired i.e if the bike is a old model and parts are no longer available. In this case you have to produce the proof that parts are no longer available and that you can not get the unit repaired, then pay for a LVV certification.

It is only a matter of time before every bike imported into NZ has ABS as standard as our market is so small that the manufactures are not going to make a separate model for the few bikes sent to NZ. If the rest of the world has ABS we will to.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    If this shit carries on much longer you will simply send the bike a message from your wank phone to move the car and go for a ride..oh and turn the camera on so i can watch it later on the widescreen that barely fits in the lounge,then i can post up on the computer about the whole experience.ABSjesus wont be long before dole bludgers with bikes will get a handout to have it fitted.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyk5614 View Post
    So if it is so awesome, are we going to get ACC discount on ABS bikes?
    Huh! Yeah right, pigs will fly and hell will freeze over before bikers get anything from ACC................ A part from grief that is.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Wonder how long before scooters require them also.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Thread Information