Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on gsx250 first bike? and gear advice please

Bike
    -

Opinions on gsx250 first bike? and gear advice please

First post! So, greetings to you all.

I have passed my BHST and looking to start the 2 wheel journey.

My needs are simply a reliable learner bike. I would like to learn some basic work and maintenance to improve my knowledge, but I'm not looking for a project bike at all...

I'm quite keen on the Suzuki GSX 250 in these very forums.

I am roughly 194cm and 80kg. I know these earlier Japanese bikes are best suited for average height, considering my budget I can't fuss too much.
    If anyone thinks this bike is a red flag for my comfortable riding please let me know. Otherwise I'm tempted to make an offer?
    Cycle ergo gave me a good idea of what to expect, the riding positions are definitely different, I think I can get used to it.

My test was on a borrowed gn125, felt maybe a touch small. I am happy with 250cc (understanding this model has more power) for now. Plus it's an easier sell for my safety conscious family

Onto safety gear.

I'm trying to keep to a budget, but I see the value in buying an appropriate brand new helmet, any recommendations for ones to try locally (Hamilton) probably 100-200.

I'm looking at going second hand for jacket and pants, maybe gloves too and will find some general boots suitable for the job.
    ^ Have since revisited my priorities on this matter, with the input received. Will be trying some gear this weekend I hope.

On the Internet I see a good stand is recommended to help with maintenance, would a decent branded rear paddock stand be the way to go?

Thanks.

EDIT: Just checked the site on my computer. To clarify, I am not a 194cm tall female ! Cheers.
    Last edited by doombubble; 28th May 2015 at 21:46. Reason: Confirmed for male

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    If things are tight, a camera is the last thing to spend money on. The GSX is a good bike to kick off on.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    R1200GSA
    what he said.....
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    If things are tight, a camera is the last thing to spend money on. The GSX is a good bike to kick off on.
    Its not that it's tight, more that I don't want to waste money in the wrong areas. The less I spend, the more for emergencies, maintenance, and riding!

If you think there is something I should consider, I'm all ears, in the mean time I'll keep reading.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by doombubble View Post
    I'm quite keen on the Suzuki GSX 250f in these very forums.
    My advice would be to steer clear of the 4 cylinder 250s.

A far better GSX250 would be the Invader.

Bike
    Honda Hornet
    Hello doombubble and welcome to KB

I started riding on GSX 250 Invader (preferred it to the gn250) and now my daughter owns it - fun bike.
    As for gear, bought most of it from 1TONNE.CO.NZ. Happy with the purchase both quality and price.

Bike
    Assorted British
    As Katman has said, the GSX Invader is ideal. I started my son off with one of these and he had a great run with it.
    Was reliable and economical. I gave it a couple of runs myself and was quite impressed with its handling and performance.
    You should pick up a reasonably good one for around $3k to $4k

Bike
    Repsol something or other
    Do yourself a favour and spend $200-400 on the helmet. Much better build and more comfortable.
    And don't just go out and buy a helmet. Size isnt the only factor, the shape of your head may make some helmets uncomfortable, and you wont notice if you just put a helmet on and take it off.

Bike
    2008 GSXR 750
    For boots, pants and jacket I'd recommend new, mostly just to be on the safe side.

I also wouldn't go for just a "general" boot. Unless it's specifically designed for motorcycling it's simply not going to do the job properly if you do come off.
    To be free is to accept the consequences of your acttions
    None so blind as will not see.

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Just to add to the helmet comments, ffs don't go and get one online, big mistake. Go to bike shops seek their advice and try them on for size and but it from them. Once ya get it sorted it should avoid sizing and comfort issues.

+1 on getting the 1 tonne gear, darn good value and last the distance.

Yeah the liddle Suzie GSX invaders are a good start.

Welcome to KB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    hey mate, i'm a newer rider, bought my gear on the cheap and regretting it. helmet is heavy and noisy, need earplugs or you cant hear anything at the end of a ride. jacket pads dont sit too well, pants are coming apart at a lot of the seams.

second hand sidi boots are the ducks nuts though, really nice to ride with. have a set of rjays summer gloves which are fantastic, and 1-tonne winter gloves which are a tough too thick for my liking, feels like i'm riding in oven mitts.

so, with my limited experience in gear, get decent quality stuff. cnell are cheep, and theres a reason.

actually, cycletreads are having a massive sale this weekend, it may well be worth your while having a look at your local bike retailers and see if they are having a sale also.

quality gear is just... fantastic.

nice bike too i've got an old 88 cbr250r to learn on, nothing sounds like them old 4pot bikes winding out hahaha

Bike
    -
    Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate the feedback. Having somewhere to objectively discuss my interest in biking is awesome.

So, scrap the idea of a helmet cam (too much Reddit I guess heh), will invest well in some decent safety gear.
    Suggestions are gratefully received, regarding brands, and which pieces of kit should be prioritised.

What do you think of buying a stand to help out with maintenance, anybody use one?

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    I use the side stand, but definately see the advantage of a paddock stand.

I'd imagine 1k will set you up nicely, i'm going up to cycletreads sale to try to get some new gear as i'm six months in and my $400 gear setup (excluding helmet) is literally falling apart at the seams lol.

My car is currently in the workshop for a big-end rebuild, so that is a serious fund limitation for now. But even a better fitting jacket would be nice hahahaha

My only recommendation is dont impulse buy, you'll regret it later. Get the best quality you can afford

Bike
    2007 BMW R1200R
    I bought a Rjays jacket & gloves, basic bike leather jeans, Arai helmet from cycletreads 2 years ago for not much more than $1k - their discounting for bulk purchase was phenomenal. I've since bought a pair of their $199 TCX boots and they've been extremely comfortable, waterproof, warm & saved my ankle in an off. As per kiwi-on-wheels' comment, I've never regretted buying relatively good quality. I have bought a daughter a near new Sidi jacket off trademe which is incredibly good quality but it's a $500+ jacket new so you do get what you pay for. As you can see, most of the budget went on the lid - no easy fix for a banged up head & the comfort levels are phenomenal - the advice is to wear airplugs with any helmet on longer/faster rides....

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Plus one on buying the best gear you can afford, I'd avoid second hand. If its leather it might have mould issues and textiles might be leaky and you cant test for that until proper rain ride so buy new stuff.

I started off with a Italian Vemar Kevlar helmet (local importer did great deal back then) then after getting wiped out by car on second bike bought a cheap (at the time) AGV. Regretted that and some agonising months later bought my first Shoei and now on my fourth Shoei. Being in so damp in the Waikato I'd recommend one that comes with anti fog insert too.
    Cheap gloves don't last either, expensive ones will handle getting wet a bit better.

My first bike was a Yamaha four cylinder 250 like the gsx250F and blind mans dream with that screamy engine but damn expensive to get serviced. These bikes get neglected often too by cheap tightwad student owners etc so better off with something simple as others have recommemnded.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Thread Information