Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Full face helmet - sunglasses or tinted visor?

It's nice to have a peak, just tilt your head to block the sun - I do the same in my car, don't use the sunvisor, I use the peak of my cap to block the sun. The tape method works, but does cut your vision - I put it diagonal on the left, same as a peak, turn and dip your head. I can't be arsed stopping to put on wet weather gear, and can't be arsed stopping just to change a visor. I use sunglasses, in gravel, in twisties or in town I lift my visor. Light level drops and I whip them off and put in a pocket....but haven't perfected the refitting of them. I once lost the arm of some Oakley's doing that...lucky I didn't pay $200 for them.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    I have a 2" wide strip of black PVC tape fitted across the top inside of my clear visor. It is above my direct line of site and doesn't impair my vision. It is great for when you are riding into the sun as you can just tilt your head down as required depending on where the sun is in the sky and it avoids sunstrike. I have been using this method on my helmets for over twenty years now with no issues and it works well.
    I do the same but with my tape at the bottom as I ride visor-up most of the time. Works a treat! (Tape at the bottom of the visor doesn't interfere with visibility when it's down either)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8949.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	312808  
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    It was on the good
    I wear contact lenses purely because I found glasses are a complete pain in the arse with a helmet. I assume sunglasses are the same so ride with a tinted visor year round apart from a few weeks at this time of year when it is dark going to work and dark coming back. Good fun occasionally but you tend to miss the odd block of firewood in the middle of the lane or the icy patch on the corner.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Been using tinted visors for decades. Swap it out with clear if riding on a really dull day. Easy to carry a alternative visor if travelling long distances or day/night.

Bike
    suzuki
    i use kiddies glasses, when you hit a corner that's real dark a quick flick of the head and you can see, get past that and use ya hand to flick em back on, been doing that for years and works a treat

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    I had a very good pair of tinted safety glasses that I wore under my helmet with clear visor. They had soft rubber wings which I trimmed back to just rest on my ears so I wouldn't get the headaches from the pressure of the helmet. Unfortunately I knocked them off when disembarking from a ferry and they are currently resting on the bottom of the Batangas harbour. I still use tinted safeties but they aren't quite as good as the old ones.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
    That's cool! do you have a link?
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2...h/mar6agvisor/

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by mansell View Post
    I have worn sunnies under a visor for years now, mind you I tend to get migraines if exposed to sunlight for too long so it wasn't really a challenge. The one problem is findingthe right pair of shades to fit under the helmet and block all the light from the sun. I tried a tinted visor a few years ago and hated it, as soon as the sun went down I had to lift it up to see, I am not going to carry a second visor with me. ALso like a few respondants I like to lift the visor when I hit a 50km zone so the glasses prevent shit from getting in my eyes.
    I ride all the time with the visor open - so I ride in sunglasses (I do close the visor when it rains)

I use cheap petrol station sunnies - sharkie-style because the fit under a helmet without rubbing on the sides (my Serengetis don't fit under a helmet). The wrap-around sharkies also give good wind protection as well as bug protection. And if they get broken I can get news ones at the next gas stop.

At night I just drop the sunnies in my bike bag (Just about all my bags have got spare sunnies in them).
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I wear contact lenses purely because I found glasses are a complete pain in the arse with a helmet. I assume sunglasses are the same so ride with a tinted visor year round apart from a few weeks at this time of year when it is dark going to work and dark coming back.
    Worst thing about glasses of any sort in a helmet is that they fog up in cold weather, just like your visor does. And there ain't a damn thing you can do, short of opening the visor, to stop it.

And call me soft but when it's less than 5 degrees out, fuck doing 100 clicks with the visor open. I like my nose and losing it to frost/windburn wouldn't be my idea of fun.

Perhaps those that don't have problems with glasses aren't familiar with single-digit-temperature riding.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    I ride all the time with the visor open - so I ride in sunglasses (I do close the visor when it rains)

I use cheap petrol station sunnies - sharkie-style because the fit under a helmet without rubbing on the sides (my Serengetis don't fit under a helmet). The wrap-around sharkies also give good wind protection as well as bug protection. And if they get broken I can get news ones at the next gas stop.

At night I just drop the sunnies in my bike bag (Just about all my bags have got spare sunnies in them).
    "Fog Off" works on glasses too ... try it ..
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    SV1K
    I've settled on using a photochomatic insert. No fog up and gives some almost instant relief from sun with cloud breaks and sun strike etc.
    Have a helmet with internal sunvisor too so between them both it does the job nicely.
    Although on a sunny cold morning it's never quite perfect as the internal visor can fog a bit too...

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    "Fog Off" works on glasses too ... try it ..
    Where do i get this flog off

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    I buy it at a motorcycle shop.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    Worst thing about glasses of any sort in a helmet is that they fog up in cold weather, just like your visor does. And there ain't a damn thing you can do, short of opening the visor, to stop it.

And call me soft but when it's less than 5 degrees out, fuck doing 100 clicks with the visor open. I like my nose and losing it to frost/windburn wouldn't be my idea of fun.

Perhaps those that don't have problems with glasses aren't familiar with single-digit-temperature riding.
    I just pull them out from my face a bit when that happens. They don't need to sit on the bridge of your nose as the helmet pressure holds them up.

Good balaclava positioning and controlled breathing when it is real cold can help (will limit visor fog from breath too), or make it worse if you get it wrong.

For those that are budget buggers starch will do the same job as fog off. Think potato thoughts
    One good fog at night that is thick with precipitation will have you wishing for some form of water beading coat on your visor.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    If you have short arms and deep pockets ...

http://dualsportalchemy.com/2013/08/...gles-fog-free/

Thread Information